I just emailed Toyota asking them to bring us the new 70 series here(US). (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As long as there are teenage girls, middle aged women, accountants and lawyers, Jeep will always have a healthy market.
I live in a town with a population of 50,000-60,000 and I swear I see 30+ Jeeps every time I drive through town which makes me even happier to be driving a 70 Series.

& although this thread resides under "Importing", importing a vehicle into the USA most often has it's roots based in just wanting something different and unusual. From what I've gathered from our friends in OZ, the LC76 is a non-head turner down there. Basically the same body style for 25 odd yrs. They are everywhere... Just walk into a dealership and buy one (if you've got the $$). Although the LC is a much more rugged vehicle than the old original Isuzu Trooper... it pretty much looks like it's cousin.

>>

Which brings me to the reason I posted here:

Say what you will about Fiat Chrysler... aka the car company which has won the dubious award as having the worst customer service in the USA. And say what you will about J**ps (a collection of Fram and PebBoys parts). And say what you will about Chrysler's poor reliability record since the beginning of time. But if one can look beyond those mere trivialities... (ahem), one will see amazing concept vehicles designed by the Jeep group that truly can bring a rise to the shorts.

Jeep Wrangler Africa Concept: (aka Land Rover Defender rip off)

b54ed2c0-ce68-11e4-83ab-a7cd9e3f97bb_Jeep-Moab-Easter-Concepts-17.jpg

b668a730-ce68-11e4-83ab-a7cd9e3f97bb_Jeep-Moab-Easter-Concepts-23.jpg

b75d1950-ce68-11e4-b38f-15d2a90282c4_Jeep-Moab-Easter-Concepts-24.jpg

I would buy one... My FJ60 is getting too fricken old.

I've called and emailed Toyota about the Hilux asking them to import it as well. I love a good exercise in futility.

If Toyota knew what Americans wanted we would have had turbo diesel yotas 25 years ago like the rest of the world

Well in a way it kinda is. Mt T tried a few winners here in the early 1980s. Gems such as diesel Corollas and Camrys and some pickups that could not get out of their own way. Those flops forever killed Toyota's diesel aspirations in the United States.

Yes and they decided the US wanted more power yet for some reason stayed with the 22re for 10+ years which is a great engine but still slow as xmas in a 4wd. If they gave us the more powerful turbo diesels that many countries get Ford and GM would be in even deeper trouble. I'm sure the new tundra diesel is freaking the US companies out

Yes and they decided the US wanted more power yet for some reason stayed with the 22re for 10+ years which is a great engine but still slow as xmas in a 4wd. If they gave us the more powerful turbo diesels that many countries get Ford and GM would be in even deeper trouble. I'm sure the new tundra diesel is freaking the US companies out
I think this has alot to do with the non introduction of Toyota diesels.

Toyota doesn't bring diesels to america because they don't think people will pay for them. They get 30% more mileage, but cost more to produce and purchase. Thats what the toyota american ceo or whatever top guy said as to why the new tacoma doesn't offer a diesel. What he didn't mention is that diesels get more power, and last a lot longer than petrol which are two points that really put diesel in a good light I think. Toyota is hopeless, Chrysler is the "cool product" company these days, Toyota is just the "reliable product" company these days.

Chrysler is cool?

707 horsepower supercharged V8s in two models. Factory locking diffs, sway bar disconnect and factory winch in a SOLID front axle truck with a 392 Hemi. I think so.

Meh. While I applaud their commitment to the SFA, nothing else gets me excited about Chrysler. I'm not a horsepower guy. If I were I probably wouldn't drive a Land Cruiser.

I own and appreciate both.

Meh. While I applaud their commitment to the SFA, nothing else gets me excited about Chrysler. I'm not a horsepower guy. If I were I probably wouldn't drive a Land Cruiser.
What about chryslers ideas isn't cool? Lockers, cool prototypes, 4:1 tcases, a smaller diesel motor in the american market and a big diesel motor. Old school but modern muscle type cars too, sorry man Chrysler is cool. Toyota is not. I say that, and I work for toyota. They all are a bore.But toyotas are still more reliable, you just have to suffer through driving a soccer mom-mobile and not really having the product you really want.

Toyota doesn't bring diesels to america because they don't think people will pay for them. They get 30% more mileage, but cost more to produce and purchase. Thats what the toyota american ceo or whatever top guy said as to why the new tacoma doesn't offer a diesel. What he didn't mention is that diesels get more power, and last a lot longer than petrol which are two points that really put diesel in a good light I think. Toyota is hopeless, Chrysler is the "cool product" company these days, Toyota is just the "reliable product" company these days.

I wouldn't go so far to call Chrysler "cool" but simple less mediocre than Toyota.

I wouldn't go so far to call Chrysler "cool" but simple less mediocre than Toyota.
Why? Elaborate. While their products tend to have more bugs and less reliability, if u put that aside, their ideas are cool. I haven't seen Toyota every year in moab with a cool prototype like Chrysler does.

Don't waste your breath. One either "gets" Chrysler and what they have been about or they don't.

I have a yard full of Toyotas and my SRT8 Challenger's build quality over the last ~60,000 miles has been on Toyota's ass like a pair of shorts.

AND it is 20x more fun to drive than my Rav4 AND it beats the Rav's hiway fuel economy numbers all day long.

& although this thread resides under "Importing", importing a vehicle into the USA most often has it's roots based in just wanting something different and unusual. From what I've gathered from our friends in OZ, the LC76 is a non-head turner down there. Basically the same body style for 25 odd yrs. They are everywhere... Just walk into a dealership and buy one (if you've got the $$). Although the LC is a much more rugged vehicle than the old original Isuzu Trooper... it pretty much looks like it's cousin.

>>

Say what you will about Fiat Chrysler... aka the car company which has won the dubious award as having the worst customer service in the USA. And say what you will about J**ps (a collection of Fram and PebBoys parts). And say what you will about Chrysler's poor reliability record since the beginning of time. But if one can look beyond those mere trivialities... (ahem), one will see amazing concept vehicles designed by the Jeep group that truly can bring a rise to the shorts.

View attachment 1049490

View attachment 1049491

View attachment 1049492

Sorry no '' Rise in Shorts '' from this guy ! It wont happen with Jeep ! it's not anything new we haven't seen already in the variations of Landcruisers !

At Marv's memorial service at SOR I met a guy who had a brand new 70 Diesel there. He said it was a lot of leg work but mostly it was just a lot of money to bring the truck into the US. He didn't really let on about how much money but I got the impression it was near the value of the vehicles retail price. I'll dig through my pics from the event and see if I snapped one of his rig.

>>

Wait a second.... Didn't J**P learn anything here? No cargo tie downs? WTF?

At Marv's memorial service at SOR I met a guy who had a brand new 70 Diesel there. He said it was a lot of leg work but mostly it was just a lot of money to bring the truck into the US. He didn't really let on about how much money but I got the impression it was near the value of the vehicles retail price. I'll dig through my pics from the event and see if I snapped one of his rig.
DEEP POCKETS, PATIENCE & CONNECTIONS will overcome most obstacles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom