First post on the 100 side... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All-

I've been over in the diesel area building a diesel 80 but now that project is wrapped up and I'm starting in on a 100. I just picked up a '99 with 160k miles from the second owner for the last 13 years. It needs a timing belt (it had it done at 60k and can't find documentation for another one :meh:...bummer.

Anyways, I've been soaking up the tribal knowledge over the last couple weeks and am starting to settle on my plan for the truck and would love some input. Don't need to rehash old posts...maybe this is just for me to put down what I'm thinking...but I'd love your input if you care to share.

This truck will see pavement 98% of the time. I love the quite, smooth ride but also looked for a '99 to get a rear locker for the other 2% of the time. I want the :princess: to be able to load it up with kiddos and take it places without having to worry about things like EGT's etc. We'd like to take long distance trips in it with some light offroad exploring...maybe light stuff in Moab but nothing nuts. I'd also like to be able to tow a small trailer or boat occasionally...but I'm fine going slow when I do that. My last build became more purpose built than I'd like...I really just want to personalize my truck a bit without ruining the things I like about it and end up with a good all around family utility cruiser. So here's what I'm thinking:

-Use stock torsion bars re-indexed to get a 1" (20.5" fender to center cap) front ride height
-Use OME medium 1.5" springs in the rear
-Leaning towards fox or other shocks
-Run 285/75R16's on stock rims
-Diff drop (from reading it sounds like I need this for even just 1.5" lift...does everyone agree with that?)
-If more lift is deemed necessary (for looks) go with a 1" body lift
-Likely a light winch bumper and light winch (9.5k smittybuilt?)
-Also maybe a rear bumper with integral hitch for towing w/o hanging a receiver hitch down low to drag everywhere...again...I'll have to build this light so the truck doesn't sag too much...

So here are things I'd love input on:
-How many folks run stock torsion bars at that level and like it?
-Any clever rear hitch solutions or should I just stick a normal hitch on it and be content to drag it around offroad and use it as a bumper protector?
-Any drawbacks to the small body lift (other than bumper gaps) that should cause me to shy away from it?
-If you have a truck sitting in a similar position I'd love to see pics :)

Thanks!

You've got the perfect truck for doing what you mentioned. I see no reason to do the body lift unless you plan on running a 35" tire. It's a little bit of a PITA, and there are some drawbacks, especially if you're only going to run a 33" tire.

I stuck with OE torsion bars up until I added a winch. The stock ones can handle a bumper with no issues. IMO, the best riding setup on the 100 is OME865 springs, stock shocks and stock torsion bars. You'll get about 1-1.5" of lift and it will ride like recliner on the highway.

Welcome to the 100 side...

welcome to the 100s side... Looks like you have a pretty good idea of how you want it setup and love your 80s build.

I stuck with OE torsion bars up until I added a winch. The stock ones can handle a bumper with no issues. IMO, the best riding setup on the 100 is OME865 springs, stock shocks and stock torsion bars. You'll get about 1-1.5" of lift and it will ride like recliner on the highway.

Welcome to the 100 side...

Cool! Did you have any shock length problems with a 1-1.5" lift using stock shocks? I seem to read conflicting info on this.

I don't think a body lift will help with looks. If anything it will slightly mess up some of the lines. A body lift is for fitting bigger tires.

Cool! Did you have any shock length problems with a 1-1.5" lift using stock shocks? I seem to read conflicting info on this.

None, and I certainly used the truck as you described you were going to use yours. I did not have a diff drop at this point either. Although, it may have helped. I did have some CV grease seep out, I re-banded the boots with the McMaster-Carr clamps and never had another issue.

Requested pics of that setup.....OME865 springs, stock T-bars cranked just a little, stock shocks.

IMG_0657.JPG

Last edited:
Same setup...Circa 2012
Honestly, this may have been my favorite setup on the 100. It was comfy on the road, very few mods, still very capable on the trail.

IMG_0507.JPG

None, and I certainly used the truck as you described you were going to use yours. I did not have a diff drop at this point either. Although, it may have helped. I did have some CV grease seep out, I re-banded the boots with the McMaster-Carr clamps and never had another issue.

Requested pics of that setup.....OME865 springs, stock T-bars cranked just a little, stock shocks.

View attachment 1083831

Same setup...Circa 2012
Honestly, this may have been my favorite setup on the 100. It was comfy on the road, very few mods, still very capable on the trail.

View attachment 1083833

Hey Stan, I'm thinking about to just add the same springs keeping the rest stock like that but wanted to ask what size tire you were able to run with that set up! 33s? You have 35s with the new stuff correct?

Glad to see you on the 100s board Andy!

@paflytyer, you say the stock torsion bars were good for the bumper alone. Did you upgrade or have to reindex your t-bars after you installed the winch? How heavy is your ARB and winch together, approx? (I've got a different animal with an AHC system, but suddenly I'm wondering if I need to plan to do more than just crank up the t-bars when I install my 180lb bumper and winch this weekend.)

Made the transition from the 80 to the 100 a couple years back...sounds like a fun project! Well, I still have the 80, so I guess you can just say I added on.

I would like to add a 80 myself! That way it would be 40/80/100.
Welcome to the 100 section!

Welcome to 100 section. I cranked t/b ome shocks and coopers 255/85 R16.
Drives and handles very smooth. Ask my wife, she barely lets me drive it.
IMG_20150507_114135.jpg
IMG_20141102_123505_415.jpg

IMG_20150327_185745.jpg

Last edited:
if you like how it rides now, I would not change a thing. As soon as you go changing anything, that ride you like now WILL change. I have been the victim to the "I paid money for parts so it must be better" on more than one occasion. However, in retrospect, everything is a trade off. If I was using for 2% offroad, I would go to 285s and that is it...definitely stay away from body lift for your stated needs. just my $.02.

Glad to see you on the 100s board Andy!

@paflytyer, you say the stock torsion bars were good for the bumper alone. Did you upgrade or have to reindex your t-bars after you installed the winch? How heavy is your ARB and winch together, approx? (I've got a different animal with an AHC system, but suddenly I'm wondering if I need to plan to do more than just crank up the t-bars when I install my 180lb bumper and winch this weekend.)

AHC makes this a different conversation. You can't just crank up the t-bars. I believe Slee still sells the AHC override that keeps the truck up high. Someone else with AHC will have to chime in on how well that system held up a bumper and winch.

View attachment 1083831

I plan to do the exact minus the springs. Which clamps did you use?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-hose-clamps/=xeby7f

I'm tickled with my 260K 2000 LC. I've had it on two 1000 mile round trips to GA, and it munches those miles smoothly. Built like a bank vault and just as quiet. The biggest surprise for me was how well it handled- I actually enjoy driving it. I doubt I'll change much, if anything, since I am likely to just do nothing more torturous than FS roads.

But I still look longingly at that 62 that got me started on my LC quest...

Thanks everyone!

@paflyer are those 18's on your truck? Have you had 16's as well and which do you like better?

I like to avoid body lifts most the time, but I really like how the trucks sit with a 2.5" lift on them so was thinking staying close to stock suspensionwise with just 1-1.5 and doing the body lift might make since. If I'm doing bumpers it'd be easy to fix most the cosmetic issues I think. For now I'll be cranking torsion bars and doing 1.5" springs I think.

I installed a center diff lock switch in the 80 today...very cool machine...but I'm liking this smooth 100 too :). Started with a 60 in college and loved it...then got the 80...now onto the 100...I'll be waiting a while to make the 200 jump :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom