Builds Good Ole Rusty (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What do you plan to do for the drag link hitting the springs?
That stumped me for a LOOOOONG TIME, till I ran out of options and plunked down the BLING for 4x4 labs steer arms and had Luke bend em up.
Additionally, I converted to a 1 ton TRE on the Pittman arm after I realized that my suspension was flexing more than the 80 TRE would allow. Looks like that might be what is happening to you as well. THE 1 ton TRE has a lot more deflection than the 80 series. I also went to a 1in drop PA.
Just got a set of AAL's in too which , currently, added some arch back into the springs allowing for more clearance between the springs and DL.

Not sure what I'll do about the linkage, I am 90% convince to add the hydro ram as a backup. If your free some weekend we could noodle that one out. OTOH I should probably consider new steering arms first if I'm going that route.

My springs are pretty flat, if my hit the lottery dreams they get replaced by a brand new set of Alcans.

The Pitman TRE is much bigger than an 80 series, it came out of an old Jeep Wagoneer, lots of deflection in that bad boy.

The bolts for the isolators are really screwed up
According to the local Dealer part number 90102-13009 is no longer available, they can get me washers and cotter pins though:confused:.
Sent a message to @beno but no reply yet.
90102-13010 per beno that is the replacement for the 90102-13009. Parts on order from the guy who knows his $hit. Thanks Beno

FWIW...
I called alcan about a new set of springs... They weren't as bad as I thought. They were around 800 bucks for the set (4). That was for 60 series springs, stock height.

Keep in mind that Alan (at least historically) had a habit of giving you more lift than desired.

And if you guys have any questions about hydro assist, I'm far from an expert, but I'd be happy to help out. First suggestion is to make sure you point the hydro ports up. Bleeding is a pita if you don't.

Anybody have a car seat in the back of their rock crawler? My Grand daughter loved the FJ60, she still comments on me selling it "Grandpa truck gone." But now that the FJ40 is rolling she likes "Grandpa little truck"

What I have in mind is something that ties into the roll cage, but can be removed. Maybe using clevis pins.
The same mounts would be used to mount a rack that would hold my 12V fridge, tool, and gear box.
Kind of a modular system.

Not modular, but I put a second row mini van seat in mine for my kids. Had the LATCH system for easy car seat installation when they were smaller. Now they just use low back boosters and 4-point harnesses. Should be fairly simple to make something modular though that the car seat can just hard mount to. There are also suspension seats designed for kids as well. Could just get one of those with a 4-point harness and just skip the car seat.

Definitely going to be Latch compatible, the 98 LC doesn't have that and it's a royal pain to get the car seat properly secured.

when I first got my 40, we swapped out the rear side seats for a single honda CRX seat on a frame. Worked okay (other than being seated directly over the rear axle made for a rough ride)

Actually, if you did a Captain's chair out of a motorhome or van you could possibly find one with air shocks.

I gave my brother one of the older confer rear bench seats for his kids. They ride in it all the time.

Alternatively, all the "race seat" companies make cool benches..

I sold a Confer bench with the built in tool boxes. Wish I had it back, maybe I'll see if the guy I sold it to is still using it. It was a rough ride though.

So @chicago why did you go with AAL ?

Didn't feel like springin the 800 bones right now, but wanted to freshen up my packs a bit.
Really, I feel like my springs are just perfect, but the geometry issues (clearance w/ other components) w/ flat springs was causing a bit of concern.
I fight the urge to do links daily!!
That's really not a joke, either.

Didn't feel like springin the 800 bones right now, but wanted to freshen up my packs a bit.
Really, I feel like my springs are just perfect, but the geometry issues (clearance w/ other components) w/ flat springs was causing a bit of concern.
I fight the urge to do links daily!!
That's really not a joke, either.
I can relate, my springs are just right for what I do. I was on Ruffstuff the other day, lots of stuff is available of the shelf for link suspension now. .

Saw this truck if anybody is looking for a project. It's on a field about 1/4 mile from the ocean. Think it has any rust?
20150529_183707_zpsqpazhrfj.jpg

Going on internet values that's a 40k cruiser...

I can relate, my springs are just right for what I do. I was on Ruffstuff the other day, lots of stuff is available of the shelf for link suspension now. .

Indeed there are LOTS of options for links. However, if I were to do it I'd spend some dough and do cool overs.
I have a LOT of concerns w/ road handling, though. It'd have to be set right to get the same or better handling on the road.
Then.... If I were to do that, There's that draw to do a D70 which id need to re do the t case where I'd definitely do an atlas, which would require me to re do the fuel tank, which would require me re do the floor pan....
"Snowball effect"!!

I call it the while your in there effect ;
While your in there you might as well..............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom