CNC plasma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Fired up the CNC plasma table for a shooting range requiring some targets. The material used was 1/2" AR 500. The material was purchased some years back when a large (local) mine shut down copper production.
The material was to be used for bed liners (I believe ) and had predrilled counter sunk holes that needed to be avoided during the cutting process. Encountering a large hole while cutting could result in the torch diving resulting in a collision. The holes that ended up on the targets will be welded up by the customer. The laser attachment really helped indexing the material to avoid hole encounters. Four sheet latter and 150 targets cut to include some life size coyotes, the rest are IDPA standard type targets. Machine was set up for 80 amp and 40 ipm.
20150521_120401.jpg
20150523_131855.jpg
20150524_120402.jpg
20150521_122545_resized.jpg

2 of my fav topics, metal fab & range time!

I'll say it - I have tool envy of your shop, and cutting targets is something on my own list in the next ~6 wks. (But my setup is a new handheld Miller 875 & some 5/16" scrap - not the cool CNC factor)

If I was a few states in the right direction I'd ask if you wanted to go do some QC at the said customers' range!

Hi LINUS,

I enjoy most topics that requires hands and mind. (except wood haha)

Thanks for the kind words on the new shop. I'll be turning 52 in June, so I been at it for more than half my age. My first Plasma was a Miller spectrum 500. The most expensive piece of equipment in the shop at the time (1990 ish. Prior to that all oxy/accet. haha

A for the targets I kept, One IDPA torso target with two paddle cut outs, one centered in the head and one center over the heart region.
The Idea is to weld two 3 1/2" round paddles behind the holes. Hit the head shot, paddle swings over, the target is now a hostage. Now you hit the small head shot (bad guy) and it resets back to torso target. Not my idea, but I think I can clean up the function with minor machining. I wont get around to that right away, but have the "Kit" ready. I also cut fifteen additional 3.5" paddles for future design and one 10" and four 7.25 " double paddle (dumbbell) for future design.

Im overdue on range time, due to the shop not 100% done.

On a side note, after the target job , I set up for 1/4" brackets for the shop, when the CNC lost Y-axis. Turned out the timing belt broke due to age.
No manual and no P/N's. I spent some time on the internet and measured diameters and pitch and centers and found some replacement for both X,Y drive belts. Spent this AM installing both and recalibrating drive motors. Took a little while as I got off a 24 hr shift this AM. My point with this drabble is all those machines in the shop require love and $$$. In the end, I really enjoy spending time out there.

I would take you up on range time bother!

Nice work nesting that sheet. I recently burned out some targets on my table for a plate rack I'm building. Worked on the reset linkage a little this afternoon. I can't wait to try this thing out.

In retrospect, I should have had the customer plug weld all the holes on the sheets prior to cutting. I'm certain we could have gotten more pieces per sheet had we done that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom