Another Pearl GX Trail Ready Project Begins... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I have enjoyed our Pearl white 2004 GX for a long time as is and even made some small modifications to it. We have really loved this vehicle and used it everywhere. It has always seemed like it was dressed a little fancy for the capable rig it is, so I think it is way past time to turn this SUV into a better version. I have read a lot of threads here and elsewhere, and watched some really amazing GX builds to inspire me. Thank you to all who have offered your support and advice, (and still do).
My goal here with the upgrades is to be capable of driving trails and unimproved dirt access roads for camping, fishing and winter driving while still being a good daily driver road SUV. And of course I will want to have some fun driving some tough trails with the new configuration.

I have already made some changes...

changed the headlights and foglights out for HID
Redline oil and Amsoil gear oil in the diffs/transfer case
Bull Bar
Toyo Tires AT IIs 275/70 17
Painted stock wheels with Plastiwhatever to see how it looks
coco floor mats
painted front grill and emblems black
Seahawks Sticker (from way before they were good)
nice long scratch on drivers side fender from the wire shelf in the garage when my wife said, "I think you are too close"

Currently the planned improvements are as follows...

Radflo 2.5 shocks with coil conversion kit (metaltech), light racing UCAs
Sliders (also from LT at Metaltech)
partially cut rocker steps to match slider (as seen on IH8MUD here)
Leds mounted under sliders (illuminate ground when doors unlocked or open)
Hella 500s/Rigid Dually D2s with custom ashtray switch panel
CB/Antenna
Improved Mounts for GPS, Phone, CB
Rear cargo box with drawers (outfitted with basic tools and necessities)
Improved - Front mounted light bar/brush guard
other misc improvements - (rear trash console, mounts for shovel, extinguisher, 12v power locations, gooseneck map light, etc)
New exhaust/muffler
new wheels (or have them painted for real)
consider bigger tire size
skid plate?

It will probably go slower than most, but I will try to post pictures as I get things done. I hope you will follow along, offer advice and make some comments. Well...wish me luck :)

Bob

image.jpg

Hey, another Washington guy! Looking forward to the build, and let me know if you want someone to go check out some trails with.

Why did you choose Radflo over Icon? I am facing that same decision and can't make up my mind.

At first I was thinking OME or some others that are often recommended and I'm sure are great, but I kept thinking I didn't want to sacrifice too much of the Lexus ride for something too stiff. I finally figured the extra money on the higher end product was worth it for my own piece of mind. When I was trying to learn about Radflo vs Icon, they both seemed good, but the feedback I heard/read about Radflo customer service sounded good. A brief phone call to each finally steered me toward Radflo. When I had repeated questions, Mike at Radflo was really great and took the time to answer all my newbie concerns. He called back when he said he would and offered some creative options. I talked to other Radflo owners and they seemed very happy with their experiences. I also talked with LT at Metaltech who had some good suggestions and guidance.
So I guess the best answer is...it just felt right. So I will know in two weeks, since I am hoping to have them installed at Metaltech (along with the sliders)

I am juggling ICON and keep IFS or use the ICON budget and wait to go full SAS so I can run 37s :)

Dan...you are in a different league than me LOL. I am in the farm club just hoping to be better...your rig is the inspiration for me

I like your rig! I decided to just go for it...was a huge risk. Half the stuff on my rig I ordered without knowing if it would fit.

Adventure!

Made a little progress... planning for next weekend to be a trip to Metaltech for the new suspension. Meanwhile I had the CB antenna mount installed to go with the Midland handheld CB (still need a RAM mount to hold the radio in the center console). Also I have been working on the drawers for the back. They work for now and I have the drawer fronts ready to mount so it will look cleaner soon. But I already love the functionality.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Nice work on those drawers!

Man you're getting your Radflo suspension already? I ordered 4+ weeks ago and afaik it hasn't shipped yet (nor have I been charged either).

Nice rig, and I also agree that it's great to see another local on the board (Lake Forest Park, WA here). Good luck with the build. Let us know how the trip to Metaltech goes (or went).

Cheers,

Drove down to Metaltech just south of Portland and it is already up on the rack as we speak... should be a good day.

image.jpg

Hey Bob, Congratulations.

Let me know how it turns out. I was thinking of doing it the same way, drive down early and (hopefully) get it done in one day.

Are you getting the sliders as well as the Radflo suspension?

I'd be curious to find out how much of a lift and what the ride is like afterwards.

This is a rear-airbag remove & replacement, right?

Gratz again and enjoy.

yep, Radflo plus coil conversion (remove airbags) and sliders today (hopefully if enough time). if not I will throw them in the back and put them on at home.

Sounds great.

Best wishes for a speedy install. :)

man i thought i was sold on Icon, but i initially looked and thought of Radflo... i guess my saga continues. i was also looking at the OME BP-51s but i found out those are only a 2.0 set up, not a 2.5. it sounds like you and i have very similar ideas for our rigs. i want it to remain my DD and have the lexus ride, while yet being fully capable of tackling most any trail i dare take the family on(they are not fond of true 4heeling), and i want it to look "stock". ill probably go so far as to add a ARB rear air locker, and a hidden winch but that will be the extent of the "over kill".

what kind of cb antenna mount is that? im been looking for a good mount, but the clamp style ones I hear move too much

the CB mount was purchased at right channel radios but I forget the exact mount. In other news, the suspension is in and I am the new owner of a Radflo suspension in the GX. LT at Metal tech was very good and really spent some time pulling out the old worn out components and adding in the new goodies. We ran into a little rust so had to use a chisel to separate the front shocks from the mounting plates.
Finally got everything in (except the sliders), but we predrilled the frame and i threw them in them back so I can mount them up this week.
So far my impression is that it is not the "cushy or velvet soft" stock setup, but it sure soaks up the real bumps like railroad tracks, speed-bumps and road potholes. I'm really liking it and it is a firmer handling setup while driving on the road to work in the mornings. Now I need to try some trails and bumps to really test it out. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Thanks to LT and Metaltech.
(oh and if you go to Metal tech, bring some extra money because there is the Owen Roe wine tasting room across the street. Be prepared to join a new wine club.

Awesome - keep us updated with the suspension. I'm still stuck between Icon and Radflo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom