My Toyota Parts search Expedition (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Might want to try your manual without gears first. The 151 fifth gear is lower than expected for some of the guys that I've seen do the conversion. Might be just fine and lowering your ratio may cause issues

subscribed

SUBSCRIBED!!

Might want to try your manual without gears first. The 151 fifth gear is lower than expected for some of the guys that I've seen do the conversion. Might be just fine and lowering your ratio may cause issues

subscribed

THIS. Seriously, the RPMs are quite high in 5th. I used my stock t-case. Our supplier insists that the gearing is different for a t case from a manual but I have yet to confirm it. Would explain why that happens though.

With your auto t-case, you'll be around or over 2500 RPM at 100 km/h. @danakittilsen was getting 2400 RPM at 100 km/h with stock gearing and 35 inch tires.

THIS. Seriously, the RPMs are quite high in 5th. I used my stock t-case. Our supplier insists that the gearing is different for a t case from a manual but I have yet to confirm it. Would explain why that happens though.

With your auto t-case, you'll be around or over 2500 RPM at 100 km/h. @danakittilsen was getting 2400 RPM at 100 km/h with stock gearing and 35 inch tires.
Would this change if I had a part time transfer??

I have a buddy that has an 80 with 5.29's and a H151f with PT case. I asked him how it drove and he said it brought it back to stock. In terms of driveability. When I was researching I found that the 5th gear on H151F was a little higher to the OD on the a343f. .71 for the A343 and .88 for the H151f.

Now you guys have me thinking. I will go ahead and hold off installing the gears until I do the swap..

Transfer case gearing will probably change things as well.

If I were you, I'd do the H151F with part time install and assess from there. I'm a true believer in doing things in stages, I've spent too much time troubleshooting issues after doing big projects where everything is done at once.

Yeah I think I am going to go with that. Anyone have a link to the thread where you can engage the lockers by making them think the cdl is locked?? In the case of a PT case.

I'm running the h151f with stock gears and 37's, mind you I have a 1HD-t. I would not regear unless you are lookin to rock crawl alot. with stock tires, i'm reving at almost 3 grand on the highway!!!!!

@FloridaFJ80 , @gnarlynick2072
A part time t-case might change that, not sure. I do know that manuals from some other markets, (Europe at least) had 3.73 in their diff's.

So best to keep researching.
Feels like its impossible to know everything about these rigs.

Edit: I'm about to head to the Canadian Rockies, so I'll let you know how the h151f on 35s does this weekend..

Also, awesome trip man. So peanut butter jelly.

Contact me if you don't end up using those 4.88s.

When you get back of course.

Would this change if I had a part time transfer??

HF1A is a step backwards if the intention is low gear ratio, and you'd be much better off keeping the HF2A, converting to PT, pulling the VC and installing crawler gears.

Don't worry about the 2,500RPM in 5th, should that be a considering factor, since the 1FZ'll do it all day, every day.

Think it'd only be prudent to butt dyno the H151F before the expense of diff gears.

HF1A is a step backwards if the intention is low gear ratio, and you'd be much better off keeping the HF2A, converting to PT, pulling the VC and installing crawler gears.

Don't worry about the 2,500RPM in 5th, should that be a considering factor, since the 1FZ'll do it all day, every day.

Think it'd only be prudent to butt dyno the H151F before the expense of diff gears.
Thanks Chris for the info. Will put that into consideration.

Day 1.

Got in to Cartagena right on time. Had a small snag with customs police they didnt like my "contraband" in my luggage ( the 4.88 gears ) so were asking a whole lot of questions. But nothing a good old crisp 20 dollar bill coildnt fix to look the other way. It was that or having to go through a lot of hoops to keep it. I tool the easy and painless way out.

Got situated in cartagena spent some time with my family and picked up my transportation for the week while my rig is on its way down. Tracking that progress on marinedata.com vessel departed @12:21am from Miami bound for Kingston, Jamaica.

In the meantime some plane pics.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432990387.993745.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432990409.856799.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432990422.871258.jpg

Last edited:
Day 2
Today I went to a local Toyota mechanic and well started my search for parts. I will let the picturea do the talking

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433022221.535447.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433022235.726817.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433022246.213049.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433022294.267463.jpg

Went to the local Toyota dealership nice Diesel Prado for sale
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433022259.014776.jpg

Day 2 - Relax

Today nothing really productive, being Sunday, its family day.. So I went with my dad to the beach in a part of Cartagena called La Boquilla and had some typical fried red snapper. Drove on the beach and had some beers!! Tomorrow I will be flying up to Bogota, to check on the leather order progress and to source my H151F so I can send it to Cartagena to do the swap.. The red 80 above was just recently converted to an Automatic so he has all the 5speed parts needed except the tranny since he sold a few days before I got here. Wish I had known he had one so I would have saved some shipping costs. Tomorrow I also get to drive around Bogota in a badass 80 series on 40's.... Stay tuned for tomorrow's updates for those pics!!!

20150531_151752[1].jpg
20150531_160542[1].jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom