Monstaliner Bedliner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, you bought tinted liner, then added a PPG colorant? That works for Raptor, but for Monstaliner, you have to get the tints from them. I asked this question too, and was told that it would not cure correctly.

Sorry.

So, you bought tinted liner, then added a PPG colorant? That works for Raptor, but for Monstaliner, you have to get the tints from them. I asked this question too, and was told that it would not cure correctly.

Sorry.

This makes way more sense. I thought I read somewhere that it would work. Here I was wondering why after a year it wasn't very solid. Thanks for the info! It turned out so well on the FJ62 that I was wondering what was up with it.

Now I need to figure out if I want it to be black on the inside.

Last edited:
Just started on mine today. Decided to keep the rig and make it a project.

Will be a week or so till it gets lined due to weather and temps. Pulled the bumpers, brackets, running boards etc. Still need to yank the roof rack. Started with the included scrub pads and quickly switched to 120 grit on a random orbit sander. Took about 8 hours to pull the body parts and sand 3/4 of the body.

Has anyone ended up tight on space around the door edges after added thickness of the bedliner? Or difficulty getting lights back in place?

IMG_20150518_191559.jpg

IMG_20150518_191546.jpg

Just started on mine today. Decided to keep the rig and make it a project.

Will be a week or so till it gets lined due to weather and temps. Pulled the bumpers, brackets, running boards etc. Still need to yank the roof rack. Started with the included scrub pads and quickly switched to 120 grit on a random orbit sander. Took about 8 hours to pull the body parts and sand 3/4 of the body.

Has anyone ended up tight on space around the door edges after added thickness of the bedliner? Or difficulty getting lights back in place?

around the front lights, I was worried, so I used a paint brush to get the color on, but not add any texture bumps.

I've been going back and forth between repainting or monsta liner. I like the shiny coat because it's beautiful and clean, but at the same time, a paint job is $1700-$3000 easy. Monsta Liner will cost about $400, but if I can make it shiny, it would be even better, I will definitely go for Monster Liner + clear coat.

MonstaLiner rep said you can apply a clear coat on top but You will have to scuff the monstaliner and it has to be an Urethane based clear coat.
- I also asked about applying camo patterns using a different color, which is possible. You can apply the camo pattern after it cured or while it's still sticky but not so wet.
- I'm thinking you can also apply the clear coat while the monstaliner is still sticky so you don't have to scuff up the finish, BUT you must experiment with this before hand because it may cause a chemical reaction between clear coat and monstaliner.

That sounds like you are really overcomplicating a roll on bedliner..

haha, I'm not making it easy for myself, but I'm going to give it a shot on a piece of aluminum or my spare fender and see how it goes.

If you are looking for "clean and beautiful" keep walking....

Maaco paint special ???

I'm going to experiment and see, don't see why the negativity against doing something different.

I'm going to experiment and see, don't see why the negativity against doing something different.

I have experience in paint and bodywork, so I tried very hard to get a consistant look over my rig -- with the bedliner look. I am disappointed with both the blown on and rolled on texture being consistant. I cannot imagine trying to take this product and make a clean dust free, glob free, finished product. Don't get me wrong, I like the material as far as how well it sticks, covers, and puts up with damage -- it rocks!

I am not a negative guy at all -- I try to see the best in everything. With that said, I am positive that I could not make a good looking paint job with this product.

I wish you all the luck, and hope it does not disappoint you.

Hey 2fpower,
I'm not expecting it to turn out like a paint job, I plan on spraying it, I do expect to have some dust and inconsistency as well.
With that said, I noticed monsta lined rigs in this thread and other forums have that matte dull finish. That's why I want to spice it up a little bit with some snake skin camo pattern in desert tan then apply the clear coat to see if it looks any better.
With your experience in bodywork, I can see what you are saying, but I don't expect a perfect paint job or even close to being perfect since I have zero experience. I will report back with some tests to see what you guys think. :cheers:

Well, here it is. I didn't remove the front valance would've had to remove the bumper and I'm not going to do that till I do the top half this fall. I was paranoid 1 gal. wouldn't be enough for this so I think I inadvertently put the first coat on too thin. I could still see some places where the green was spotting thru after the first coat. I did the second coat extrathick but still had about 1/4 of the 1 gallon mix left over. Anyways, here's a pic.
20BA4785-DD58-4B00-BA0C-A32BDB3AAE43.jpg

Well hell. I finished the 2nd coat last night @ 7pm & it started raining ~4am this morning. When applying I had to start 2nd coat ~30min after I finished 1st coat due to 90*temp & 70% humidity so it was drying/curing super fast (flashing). I know a "gentle mist" after 12 hrs. helps speed curing process but rain is not a "gentle mist". It isn't raining hard but it's more than a sprinkle. Think I'll have any problems from the rain?

No experience here, how long does it take to cure? It sounds like it had enough time, my friend sprayed some clear coat over his hood and it rained hard 30 minutes later. The droplets were big and heavy enough where it looks like the surface of a golf ball

7 days to fully cure.

Finally had weather in Denver to allow me to get it done. Need to clean up the glass a bit from some roll over. Painted the rear wiper just to see if it sticks. Have black on the way to tough up trim around the door. 2 full days. One prep one paint. Product was thinner than I expected and started to cure up and get temperamental after 2 hours. Had about 1/3 of a gallon left each time. White did not easily cover the previous paint color of Grey had to run a light third coat. s*** is a pain in the ass to get out of your beard.

IMG_20150528_203402.jpg

IMG_20150528_203432.jpg

IMG_20150528_203501.jpg

Nice! A hundy Monstalined! I love it.

Nice man! I'm starting to lean towards white on my beige metallic 80

Planning on plastidip to finish up the trim like the grill, window supports etc. Will use white plastidip to do the interior door trim, didn't want to risk bedliner on the interior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom