engine upgrade time: 3B-T to 15B-F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.phat42.com
Hi guys,

looks like I might be able to spin an upgrade on my tired little 3b-T...

I've been keen on an upgrade to a 14b or 15b and naturally anything with a turbo has gotta be better, right?

So I'm looking at these two at the moment... but having trouble finding any details on specs of the 14b-t to compare with the stock 15b (even here on Mud).

14B-T - http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Autom...-ENGINE/Slacks-Creek/QLD/AdNumber=AD004747955

15B - http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Autom...-ENGINE/Slacks-Creek/QLD/AdNumber=AD004749213

My preference is the 14B-T just due to tuning opportunities... but i'm not 100% convinced this is the right move.. Being a low KM import I dont want to have to worry about the engine for many many years. It will be doing a bit of towing a box trailer (possibly with RTT) and the small family around Tasmania (few hills here and there) as well as the usual off-roading adventures. It will be my daily driver to work as well.. I already have a 5Spd in my BJ42 and 4.56 diff gears with 34" skinnys if it helps.

Definitely want to keep it a late model B engine due to simplifying the swap to some degree.

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi mate, I've currently got a BJ42 with a 14B-T. Given my time over again I'd go with a 13/14/15B or even a 15B-T if you can get one for a good price, the 14B-T was not a widely used engine in Aus and I've had one or two issues due to that.

If the 15B is the same internally as a 15B-T, get the 15B and find a way to put a GTurbo on it...

Hi mate, I've currently got a BJ42 with a 14B-T. Given my time over again I'd go with a 13/14/15B or even a 15B-T if you can get one for a good price, the 14B-T was not a widely used engine in Aus and I've had one or two issues due to that.

Hey BeeJay, keen to hear your experiences either via, pm, previous post or phone... I like the factory turbo'd donks cos the turbo's seem to be better matched to the engine. I think the power output difference between 14b-t (104kw) vs 15B (82kw) is considerable...

Lastly I want to put something in that I dont have to touch or mod later. I'm done after this... So the likelyhood of slapping a gturbo on a 15b is low...

I guess it really depends what you need/want. The power step up from the 3B to a 15B will be very noticeable and is good match for the old girl. As far as day to day driving the 14B-T is more power than you realistically need in a BJ42 but it isn't insanely over powered or anything, it will give you enough go to kick a bit of arse up hills or when towing. For example mine will happily cruise at 130kph and still have a tiny bit more to overtake but you don't really want to be doing 130kph in a BJ42 either.

If you want to repower your rig with a nicely matched engine go the 15B, if you want a bit more power without the headaches go the 14B-T (Or maybe even a 15B-T if you can track one down). There are a few dramas with owning a 14B-T but they are mostly around people assuming that if parts fit a 14B then they fit a 14B-T too which isn't the case with a surprising large number of things. A 14B-T is an easier and cheaper option compared to a DIY turbo job on another engine.

As for the conversion it is about as easy as a conversion gets, and by that I mean no conversion is easy there is always headaches. Expect to spend somewhere between $1000-$2000 on top of the cost of the engine and maybe more depending on the condition of other components, also keep in mind there are always unforeseen issues. I am glad to help you out through this but remember that no two conversions are ever exactly the same so you could find an issue I didn't have.

Thanks Beejay, I saw someone else in qld did a 14b-T conversion and was in a similar position finding parts.. but was happy with performance...

I'm not likely to go 130k in a bj42 or even 120, but I do want to tow and and I'm sick of being stuck in the slow lane... recently I had to two a small 7x5 trailer load of wood and was forced down to 2nd gear up a fairly tame hill... I'm over that and want to be able to tow with confidence..

I heard back from Brisbane motor imports and they are not telling me they dont have the 14b-t in stock and can add one to the next order which would arrive in 4-6wks at a cost of $6500!! thats a bit more than advertised so thinking of my options there... I found a 15B advertised at archerfield but again not sure on condition/kms... whats required to get it in.

Your 3B knackered? My 13BT easily does 140km/hr and have towed 3+ tonne up some pretty decent hills in 4th/90-110km/hr
Its got plenty of go on the flat and around town but point it at a hill or add a load and its got nuthin....

It depends how much you can salvage off your old engine if that's even possible.

You'll need an alternator and new engine mounts (buy genuine Toyota mounts, the aftermarket front mounts are rubbish and the tranny mount is actually cheaper from Toyota).

You can use your 3B starter but you'll need the mounting plate from the 3B as well (though you'd probably really want a new starter, the thermostat housing will have to come off a 3B from a land cruiser too (on the B engines out of little trucks the outlet points the wrong way).

You can use the clutch from the 3B but you'll have to get the 14B-T flywheel machined to fit the clutch. The 14B-T uses the 300mm clutch which apparently doesn't fit in the BJ42 bell housing, but it looked like the 300mm clutch would fit when I looked at mine but I can't say for sure, anyway I used the 275mm clutch from the 3B and had the 14B-T flywheel drilled and tapped to suit the smaller clutch.

That's the big stuff I can remember but the small things will kill you too. I had a throttle cable made to suit which was nearly $300 from memory. You'll need new radiator hoses, you'll also need a lower radiator hose from a 70 series truck with a 13B-T as the power steering pump stop the 3B hose fitting. You may also need a reservoir for the power steering too and power steering hoses made. There is fair bit of small stuff to do.

I had a bit of a headache with the battery and air cleaner box as the standard battery tray doesn't fit anymore and I had to shift things around, but that may be different on your truck.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, I'll be away working for the next week but leave me a message if you have any further questions.

Well i think my choice has been made for me due to availability. I've found a 15b-f at an affordable price but am waiting on a bench test report later next week. The seller has made the offer of putting a new set of rings and big end bearings for an additional $500. Having been burnt before with a 1hdt that wasn't run in properly and had glazed bores repaired, I'm not sure i want to touch the internals. I haven't been told how many kms are on this engine but have been assured it wouldn't be anywhere near 300k kms.
I'm about 4000 km away from the seller so even though he offers 3 month warranty, I don't want to be forced to use it. I'll wait until I get the bench test report before making a call but am interested in what you guy would do?

I haven't been told how many kms are on this engine but have been assured it wouldn't be anywhere near 300k kms.
I'm about 4000 km away from the seller so even though he offers 3 month warranty, I don't want to be forced to use it. I'll wait until I get the bench test report before making a call but am interested in what you guy would do?

Im always a bit funny about fitting rings and bearings to used engines. If its no where near 300k , it shouldnt need them , and if it does ,a complete rebuild would be preferable. Do they even know for sure how many klms its done? You would either know the exact klms or you dont know them at all.
You must be dealing with a wrecker/engine importer. It is how they talk.
And he is 4000klms away.(Is that Perth or Darwin?) Not a lot in your favour. I wouldn't be paying top dollar for it.
Take the time to think it out. Other engines pop up sooner or later

I've been thinking about the 14b-t swap and found that trading post add on a few different sites. Even at the $5.5k mark I thought it was a little steep, but reasonable if it was in good condition and didn't need any work.

As has been said, the other option is 14/15b. Beauty of this option is there are loads of Dyna's for sale all over the place and you could test the engine beforehand, and possibly recoup some money. I got excited about this one until I realised it wasn't the Margate in Brisbane, but I remembered this thread and thought it might be of some use.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/margate/cars-vans-utes/1993-toyota-dyna-/1077985087

Im always a bit funny about fitting rings and bearings to used engines. If its no where near 300k , it shouldnt need them , and if it does ,a complete rebuild would be preferable. Do they even know for sure how many klms its done? You would either know the exact klms or you dont know them at all.
You must be dealing with a wrecker/engine importer. It is how they talk.
And he is 4000klms away.(Is that Perth or Darwin?) Not a lot in your favour. I wouldn't be paying top dollar for it.
Take the time to think it out. Other engines pop up sooner or later

I agree with Rosco. If this engine swap is the last thing to get your rig finished then don't rush it. You're in Brisbane, something will come along that's right up your alley and nearby.

Edit: or maybe your in Tassie lol. Melbourne is a big market place...

I hear ya. Its from an engine recyclers in brisbane and I'm in tas.. sorry upon closer inspection its only 2500km's away :)

In relation to the km's he say he got it from one of his regulars and he used those words because he got it from a known contact.. and unless that contact had "done him over" as he's never done before, it wouldn't be anywhere near 300k kms.

I'm going to wait, and I'm also of the opinion that i wouldnt touch any engine if you dont need to. Hopefully more info will be available after its had a full bench test.

It is priced right.. and if he wants to sell it i'll press him to find out how many kms its had. surely that information should be in his books somewhere, even if he does have to dig around for it.

I've been thinking about the 14b-t swap and found that trading post add on a few different sites. Even at the $5.5k mark I thought it was a little steep, but reasonable if it was in good condition and didn't need any work.

As has been said, the other option is 14/15b. Beauty of this option is there are loads of Dyna's for sale all over the place and you could test the engine beforehand, and possibly recoup some money. I got excited about this one until I realised it wasn't the Margate in Brisbane, but I remembered this thread and thought it might be of some use.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/margate/cars-vans-utes/1993-toyota-dyna-/1077985087

Thanks Sneaky.. yes that engine is not far from me. I have been looking at Dyna's but nothing had come up in the price or year range I was after... Might pay to look a little closer eh. Prefer a 15B due to more recent and higher capacity. not sure if i'll find something that recent at a suitable price with low(er) kms locally.

Isnt there a engine importer in Launceston somewhere ?

Wouldn't be getting the seller to be doing major work to the 15bf, 500 to do rings and bearings sounds too cheap. They'd probably be using the cheapest parts/ gaskets they can find. If it's cheap enough, get someone local to you to check it out again and overhaul it with quality parts if needed. 15bf is just about the best b motor to get though, and more common then the 15bft

So looked around and rang some local (state wide) truck wreckers and engine recyclers without any success. I also enquired with a mob in WA who have one but Its about $4000 ex freight to get it to Hobart.

So I'm back with the 15B-F that I found in Qld, which has been bench tested, everything comes back ok (no oil/water leaks/no noises, excessive blow by, tappets sound ok,etc). I've been told its got approx 180,000kms on it and they replaced Big end bearings on it in addition to having the fuel return line replaced (they munted it after taking of the rocker cover, I assume they were just poking around or considering a compression test). THey haven't done a compression test but it started up fine when bench tested.

It includes an Alt and A/C (good cos I currently have A/c on my 3b for OBA). and has a fly wheel as well..
The quoted frieght half of what i was able to find elsewhere ($275!!) and the price is pretty good for the engine of that age. Again. comes with a 3month warranty if there are any issues.

I need to make sure the wife is keen then I can proceed with the purchase.

In regards to the BEB's is there anything that will need to be done prior to starting up for the first time? eg: oil priming or run in for the BEB's? Do I need to retorque or check torque? I'd hate for it to cause issues down the line..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom