1980 mini truck with a 3.4 liter and auto (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a new to me 1980 pick up. Picked it up yesterday and am very happy with what I am starting with. Its a 1980 pick up with unknown lift, new 33 inch tires, high steer and a 2000 3.4 liter with auto tranny. Stock 4 cylinder transfer case.
Here it is next to my FJ on the drive back.

So over all this truck is in great shape. There is a check list of problems that need to be addressed.
1) the pitman arm hits the leaf spring under hard compression not sure if I should do bump stops or a flat pitman arm?

2) The transfer case is hard to get out of 4 low. The shifter moves but doesn't seem to catch anything?

3)The brakes go to the floor (they stop you but not really well_

Other than those 3 things everything functions great.

Good gawd man. You tell us this Gen1 has a 3.4L engine, and you don't torture us with pictures? Shame on you. Shame, shame, shame.:flipoff2:

That is an awesome find. You've made me want something that I have never even conceived until this very moment... and that color is awesome.

x2 to what pappy said. We need to see how well it fits under the hood.

Also, I'd go flat pitman on the steering unless that will cause binding or other issues.

I will order a flat pitman arm next week. I am going to cruise moab in the FJ cruiser and hoping to get some vender deals while I am there. Here are a couple more pics

The 3.4 liter swap was done really clean using the dashboard out of the donor and all the heat is plumed. The motor has ruffly 100,000 miles and runs smooth and quite.
The plan is:
Flat pitman arm
either twin stick the transfer case or just fix the single shifter (maybe dual cases eventually if I found a smoking deal
Figure out whats going on with the brakes (probably upgrade to an fzj 80 master cylinder
Get rid of the poop tube bumper and steps
Make some rock slider
Make a rear bumper
Make a new front bumper
Instal some kind of locker (probably aussie locker or maybe try to find an IFS rear axle with e locker.)

That is the plan for this summer. I don't have a garage so progress is slow. I am also thinking about getting rid of the topper if anyone is interested and in the Colorado.

Cool truck. Good idea to get rid of those tube steps. Unknown lift is too freakin' high. (IMO).

That pic sure looks like it has a bunch of body lift. Yes? How much to fit that under the hood?

I believe 2-3" BL is required, unless you doghouse the hood.

Sweet score!!!

looks like a 2 inch body lift. If it wasn't for the poop pipe steps it wouldn't look bad. The new rocker guards will mount tight to the body.

I like the red color, what color is the interior? Is that an IFS steering box? And you are missing the torque arm on the front axle. Maybe was required to fit the 3.4. Nice truck!

And you are missing the torque arm on the front axle. Maybe was required to fit the 3.4. Nice truck!

Torque arm goes away with cross-over steering.

It is an IFS steering box. It needs a flat pitman arm which I'll order this week. The interior is black out of the same 4 runner that the motor came from. I'll get interior pics tomorrow. The poop pipe is also welded about 2 inches lower than the frame which is why it looks like so much body lift. More pics tomorrow. I'm really on the fence about ditching the topper or not. I love the look but functionally I think an open bed with maybe a roll bar would be better. Decisions decisions.

So I haven't had a lot of time to work on this lately(busy work schedual last couple weeks) I did have a chance to really crawl around un it and measure everything. It looks like there is actually a 3 inch body lift, the pitman arm needs to drop to clear the oil pan, The tie rod bottoms out on the oil pan and the rear shocks are fully extended on flat ground. So here is the plan:
Make bump stop extensions and limit the up travel for the front (parts on order)
New shocks and bump stops for the rear (parts on order).
Take the 3 inch body lift out cut it down to 1 inch and reinstall.

This is a next couple weeks plan. Pictures to follow.

On other notes I really would like to get some lockers in this truck and am looking at full axles used. What gearing do you guys think would be best. I was thinking 4.88s and 35 inch tires but it seems like I can find more axles with 5.29s. I am worried that 5.29s will scream on the highway .(truck has to get to the trails and back sometimes a 4 or 5 hour drive on the highway at 75+. Anybody have experience running 5.29s and a 3.4 liter auto 35 inch tires. Thanks

Need interior pix of the dash and all from donor truck.

As for gearing, what was the original truck RPMs at 65mph? Get gear setup that will duplicate that with your tire size and be golden. You don't really need lower gears for the trail as the auto trans will take care of that for you.

Hey Ferg,
I will post some interior pics tonight. I believe it has 4.37s in it now being 1980 axles which is okay with the 33s on it. My reason for lower gears Is I think I can buy a fully built axle with Chromoly birfs for just about the same price as I can put a select able or detroit locker in and while i'm there might as well get something with better gearing.

This the dashboard. Everything Works except the speedo Hence the garmin. I will eventually get the marlin adapter to make the speedo work.

Because every one loves pictures here is one of the shifter set up. The extra wires are from a power outlet I put in it will all be cleaned up next week.

And a little poser pic from measuring for bump stops.

Old school speedo math - 1980 Toyota/4.37 gears = 3100rpm @ 55mph. So based on that, why speedo not work? Electronic input or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom