Thinking about a 200 and have a few questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another question after discussing with the wife- do all 200 series have a DVD/entertainment system in the second row? Does the front nav unit ever double as a screen, like to play a movie? Only when stopped of course....

They do not ALL have the DVD/entertainment system. It is rare, in my experience, to find one without however..

As for the front screen, somewhere on here there is a thread about a mod for converting front screen or using NAV while driving.

Front screen will show the movie when stopped, in park and with emergency brake on.

All '13 plus have rear DVD standard.

@mtnracer ... I have a Lexus car and the UL models were equipped with air suspension as well. Folks are going crazy because it costs about 6 grand for the parts alone (1500/shock). I certainly don't want to get into that scenario. I have heard good things about Firestone bags, so I would go that route if the LC was chosen.

I don't know why LX owners keep saying "air" suspension...? The LX does NOT have AIR SPRINGS that I am aware of. It has STEEL springs plus dampers that can be adjusted via a system of HYDRAULIC fluid for more or less height/compression.

Maybe Bjowett can expand on the details .... ???

I have a Land Rover with a true air suspension, it is nothing like the AHC in that mine are actual air sprung struts front and rear. Two minutes under an LX and you can see this for yourself. It's pretty cool. The fluid reservoirs are located under the port side between door sill and frame.

I do wonder the load limit for the system. Obviously the guy who took the AHC across Africa built his up with lots of steel and gear, thus decided the stiffer springs to be prudent. On my Land Rover, the air springs just seem to keep adding psi for the air column to compensate but they must also have a limit at some point. I've towed close to 8000 lbs with an 800 lb tongue 6000 miles and the rest of the time the curb weight is 7500-8000 lbs, 8200 one trip that I checked it on a scale and I was solo! That's 2500 lb in "cargo".

I do wonder if there is any aftermarket means for gaining further range out of the AHC. Now that I've had these aftermarket electronic interfaces, I am now used to being able to seriously drop the vehicle (totally slammed, tires tucked) to put the roof at 72" or raise it high enough creating 14-15" under the rear differential. That's roughly a 10"+ range. This max height puts the underside of the sill sliders and middle of vehicle/fuel tank, at about 18" clear! Granted, you can only use this super max height for short term to get over a particular obstacle then you should really lower back to the 12-14" clear range.

Last edited:
I am looking at a few different vehicles, all pickups, but the 200 is the only SUV. When I showed what the 200 looks like to Mrs CY, it was her favorite since the dogs could go in the back with AC- a necessity for Texans. Plus it's a Cruiser.

2- how does it tow? It has the same engine as the Tundra and a tow rating of 8500lbs. This is more than enough for what I do. Most of the time, I am in the 7-8K range. I could cut that down by 500-700 lbs if I got an aluminum trailer. I know it won't tow as nice as my Ford, but as long as it's stable and safe in winds and trucks rolling by on the highway, I am good with that. I would put on a brake controller, that's a must.

Your listed needs makes me think of the Sequoia too:
-Single ac space for dogs.
-Much bigger interior for growing family, dog, gear, trips.
-Longer wheelbase certainly will be nice for towing.
-Suspension is either actual air springs or steel + adjustable dampers (AHC) which is nice for loading and towing up to a point.
-Still has ventilated seats ;)
-Appreciably lower price point. $65k top model (Tundra, totally loaded, $55k)
-More 3rd row space but probably still kind of sucky (Sorry but LC and LX 3rd row is only for very small people, not those "sprouting" or people you do not like very much) The only 3rd row I've sat in that is worth a damn is my Land Rover LR3 or LR4 with Mercedes GL a distant 2nd. My LR3 can very comfortably sit 2 adults in 3rd row with head room to spare and plenty of actual foot space. This is facilitated by the independant rear suspension which allows the floor to drop low where needed. I removed the 3rd row and have all my recovery gear below the cargo floor level including: high lift extreme, chain, 2 straps, 2 pulleys, 4 shackles, Xjack, 2 camp tables, large tarp, and tools.
-4wd and 2wd combo is intriguing for road trips and slight fuel economy improvement

Anyway, aside from any emotions, the Sequoia seems to suit your priorities better within the choices offered my Toyota/Lexus. At least there are some nice paint choices ;)

Another question after discussing with the wife- do all 200 series have a DVD/entertainment system in the second row? Does the front nav unit ever double as a screen, like to play a movie? Only when stopped of course....

Our LX has the center mounted overhead DVD system which gets a signal from the in dash DVD player (there is also a headrest installed option). You can watch movies on the overhead while driving but the in dash screen goes blank unless in Park. Prestigious Society has an override kit available that also lets you enter a new Nav destination while driving.

Our Tundra has Nav but no DVD capability so you would need to install an aftermarket system but this is pretty easy as it has a standard double din dash opening. Alpine even makes a complete 9" screen dash conversion kit that I am eying up.

As far as safety, I feel plenty safe in the Tundra or the LX. Mass for the win.

Another thought on towing: using our LX to tow our 8' wide travel trailer we need clamp on towing mirrors because you can't see anything behind you with factory mirrors. The Tundra is wide enough that I get a pretty good rear view with factory mirrors and I believe I can swap in extra wide OEM towing mirrors if desired. No such thing for the LX / LC.

Also, not sure if you will need to take a generator to camp off grid but if you do, you need the Tundra pickup bed to carry it. For us there would be no other safe / good way to take a generator.

I don't know why LX owners keep saying "air" suspension...? The LX does NOT have AIR SPRINGS that I am aware of. It has STEEL springs plus dampers that can be adjusted via a system of HYDRAULIC fluid for more or less height/compression.

Maybe Bjowett can expand on the details .... ???

I have a Land Rover with a true air suspension, it is nothing like the AHC in that mine are actual air sprung struts front and rear. Two minutes under an LX and you can see this for yourself. It's pretty cool. The fluid reservoirs are located under the port side between door sill and frame.

I do wonder the load limit for the system. Obviously the guy who took the AHC across Africa built his up with lots of steel and gear, thus decided the stiffer springs to be prudent. On my Land Rover, the air springs just seem to keep adding psi for the air column to compensate but they must also have a limit at some point. I've towed close to 8000 lbs with an 800 lb tongue 6000 miles and the rest of the time the curb weight is 7500-8000 lbs, 8200 one trip that I checked it on a scale and I was solo! That's 2500 lb in "cargo".

I do wonder if there is any aftermarket means for gaining further range out of the AHC. Now that I've had these aftermarket electronic interfaces, I am now used to being able to seriously drop the vehicle (totally slammed, tires tucked) to put the roof at 72" or raise it high enough creating 14-15" under the rear differential. That's roughly a 10"+ range. This max height puts the underside of the sill sliders and middle of vehicle/fuel tank, at about 18" clear! Granted, you can only use this super max height for short term to get over a particular obstacle then you should really lower back to the 12-14" clear range.
Thanks for the info on the system. Sometimes the way it behaves it feels like air bags but I guess it's hydraulic.

Per the manual the cargo capacity is around 1300# but I think there is a bit of a fudge factor in that number. I am pretty sure we exceeded that number towing our camper and the system leveled us out without fail.

Per the manual, if you exceed the system's limit it will default to Low mode which would not be desirable but is supposedly safe in an emergency.

You can install the override kit from Prestige Society. It will allow you to watch a movie in motion (not advised) but more importantly it will allow a passenger to input navigation since that is locked out as well when in motion.

Ive bumper pulled 8000#'s from Idaho to the east coast 2x and never had an issue towing. (I used to pull it with a 2011 Tundra Crewmax 5.7).
The things I dont like are the mirrors are not great for 8' wide trailers but you can get those clip on extensions and you do feel some push when riding over 65 through the mountains when the winds gust at 20-30mph. Fuel economy is terrible when climbing, but low low teens on the flats. Never felt unsafe. I uses a Tekonsha P3 controller that was plug and play.

Utah heading up to Wyoming through the 7000' climb.

This was the Tundra I sold.

Good pics @Archtaan Why did you sell the Tundra for a 200?

I briefly, very briefly thought about a Sequoia, but it doesn't interest me at all. It's nice and all, but not for me. It's a Cruiser or Tundra for Toyota products.

I will see at least one of the two vehicles this weekend, maybe both, so hopefully that can clear up some things.

The Tundra was too big for the Idaho trails, rode terribly when empty and averaged 12mpg on the highway (4.30 gears will do that). It tows well though and the roll down rear glass is cool.

Had a few problems with it as well. The 4wd selector failed (of course when I needed it) - it was stuck in 4lo.

The parking sensors would randomly go off while driving down the highway.

It also had terrible dash squeaks on cold days. Really rattled my nerves. Plus, it was only an SR5 so it wasn't gussied up like a Limited (or LC) and I like the gadgets and comfort goodies - it has a lot of blanks which really looked tacky. I felt the interior was bland. They updated it for the newer models though and it looks a lot better.

That was actually my 2nd Tundra. The first one dropped a cylinder and the resulting oil from huge hole in the side of the block caused the truck to lose control and kiss a concrete divider for about 2 miles!

RIP

Damn

2-How often do you tow? Im sure you know that if you tow a lot, a diesel is the better choice.

3-The mileage difference between towing and not towing with a diesel seems to be less than a gasoline engine, in general. My buddy has a Tundra 5.7 Crew 4x4 and tows a boat with it and says when towing, his mileage drops a LOT.

I think you are going to miss your diesel Excursion. Ive had my 02 Excursion 7.3L PSD 4x4 for longer than Ive ever owned any other vehicle, almost 5 years, and its been the best vehicle I've ever owned. Ive towed Cruisers from Orlando to Dallas to Baltimore in torrential rain, snow, 110 degree heat and never had ANY problems. I bought with 99k on it, it has 180k on it now, and Ive never done anything but routine maintenance. I paid 17k for it in 2010 and its still worth 15k. I have found it to be one of the most versatile vehicles available; you can tow anything, haul anything, load it up with kids and dogs and coolers and take it to the beach, put a single bed mattress in the back and sleep/camp in it, fit in parking garages, drive around with a huge 300 lb treadmill in the back and forget its there, etc, etc.....

As far as reliability, that rating website thats been floating around here lately that gives the 100 Series a perfect 100, well the Ford Excursion is right up there in the top ten with all the other Toyotas and Lexus'.

Its the only 3/4 ton diesel SUV with a solid front axle ever sold in the US.

I never recommend anything over a Cruiser, but when you add towing and kids to the mix, I don't think there is a better choice than the 7.3L Excursion. Im looking for a used LC 200 myself right now, for the wife. The only other thing Ive contemplated getting for my purposes is a 7.3L dually crew cab, because of the stability a dually provides, but I keep coming back to my Ex because it tows what I need to and is just so versatile with kids and dogs and gear and stuff, and unbelievably reliable. I mean the 7.3L is one of the top 10, maybe 5, diesel engines ever made. They made over 2,000,000 of them. I have a clipping on my bulletin board of an old guy with over 1,000,000 miles on his 02 F350. He uses it to deliver RVs around the country.

What about swapping your 2nd row bench for captains chairs and putting your third kid in the third row?

I don't know, I guess it just depends on how much and how far you tow. If its not that much or that far, go with a 200 LC. But wait a couple months before you start looking, because Im looking for one right now and its becoming quite a challenge!

I've owned a couple of Dodge 1 ton turbo diesel dually 4x4's. The Cummins engine is the key. Wish I still had my 2005, bought it new "red" 4x4 dually standard cab CTD 6 speed manual. Looked like a big bull frog ;). Same thing some cross country trailer haulers had over 1,000,000 miles with just regular maintaince. If you can find a older one with less emission crap that is the way I would go. Get the LC/LX and keep current or get another diesel

Well, we had a real eye opener today. I went and picked up an 100 and a half cut HJ61, sans drivetrain. The half cut was up on the front of my trailer with the 100 behind it. The wheels were all on but the rear of the 100 hung over the trailer. It was not balanced well, but given the space, I didn't have any options. The trailer started to wag at 55-60. I NEVER have had any fishtailing/swaying/wag with the Ex in the who knows how many trucks and miles (it's a lot though) I have towed with it. Keep in mind this is with a 9000lb truck. I had to go 55 the entire way home and dealt with a little sway at times at that speed.

To add, the owner of the shop I picked the two up has a 200 and one of his employees has a Tundra CrewMax. With the 1.5 trucks loaded up, the 200 owner said it would handle the power fine, but coasting or going down a hill, there would be some sway. This is not what I want.

While I don’t always load things like this, sometimes I do have crazy/weird loads like this. So during the trip, we both were in complete agreement that a vehicle that weighed 6000 lbs and less that my load and trailer, would not be safe for our needs. So at this point we are going to put our 200 search on hold and look into a 2006-2007 5.9 Mega Cab Cummins. I may even get a dually after today as a gooseneck would have made today's load a non-issue. On the plus side, that means I could carry 2 cruisers at once :)

@89cruiserfj62 You are so correct. There is a smaller chance we will keep it and do seat upgrades, it really depends on what the wife thinks/wants. The 3rd row doesn't have headrests though, again major fail by Ford. As she said today, it's a 8 passenger vehicle built for a family of 4. I am a tall guy and even the front headrest is borderline too low. Safety is #1 for us, and the Cummins has headrests all around. Our Ex has been an incredibly reliable vehicle. We have put 90K miles in our 5 years and have been from SC to CA to CO to KY to and many places in between many times over. Like you, I would drive this thing anywhere, today. But I am bummed because I really wanted a 200.

I appreciate everyone's feedback in answering all my questions, hopefully this will help others as well.

@Archtaan , you have the coolest dammed cars. I want to see more pics of "you know what".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom