Tundra 5.7 in a pig? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone try this or know why it hasn't been done? There so many tundras now that wrecked ones are getting plentiful. I have 6 5.7 Tundras at my work with 100k plus milage and they still run great.

I currently have chevy gear and would like to at least go back to toyota and the whole running gear of a tundra looks pleasing. Good power, electric 4x4 so shifters aren't an issue and the stock crawl ratio is better than what I have now. So what's the draw back, do they not fit length or width? I was going to measure one of my trucks today but stupid work got in the way.

Anyway, would like to hear imput. Oink.

The 5.7 size is fine. Personally for what I would want to do with it, the 5.7 doesn't have a spot for a pilot bearing in the crankshaft making running a manual impossible without machining the crank. So no way that's easy to make it work with the old school manuals.

Another issue with a direct full drive train swap (engine/trans/transfer case) the rear axle is offset on our old axles. The newer tundra have a centered axle. So you would also have to swap out the rear axle.

There's a reason you don't ever see a 5.7 swap. Toyota has the computer on lockdown and there's a lot of variables electronically, not to mention mechanically, to overcome. Not an easy feat to override and make drivable.

^^^ this

The toyota wants to see lots of stuff you might not want to transfer over. Wheel speed sensors, Yaw sensors, anti-theft, etc.

If you were going to do it, I'd use a megasquirt or something similar. Eliminate the Toyota PCM. Then you'd have to use a different trans or figure out how to control it electronically. I think the VVTi would be a problem then as well. The Toyota engine wiring harness is integrated into the vehicle harness. Unlike the LS harness that is designed to be stand alone. I have easily 100 hours into sorting and paring down a 1FZ harness. I can do an LS harness in about 4 or buy one for a couple of hundred bucks.

The 5.7 is a huge motor as well. The size of the overhead cam heads is ginormous.

toyota just gave us 2 5.7L iForce long blocks. We have a dozen LM7 and LQ4 GM motors. I happen to have one of each sitting next to each other in the engine lab. The 5.7 is just a long block and the 6.0 is complete.

5.7 vs 6.0.jpg

Now add in the 6.0 will bolt to lots of transmissions, you can have the computer reprogrammed for $100, you can buy a ton of aftermarket stuff for it, stock parts can be had at the grocery store, you can make Toyota power pretty easily, and its a 300,000 mile engine and the Toyota engine becomes a very expensive novelty.

Last edited:
Well, good info here as per usual. I guess the short answer is to not cut my repower teeth on a 5.7 swap. It was funny how my hopes and dreams went from 0-60 real quick. I was putting in a different carb and it wasn't as plug-n-play as I wanted so I started thinking about a fuel injection kit, then a LS, then to a tundra 5.7. now im back to adjusting my LoTeq carb.

That's the nice thing about me already having the advanced adapter stuff. Probably revise my engine mounts and done

You can get adapter plates for the engine cheap enough. You can get them with different offsets. The pig i put in the stock 350 location because I had the room behind the heads. The LS is flush with the right head to the bellhousing mount where the csb has a two inch lip behind the head. The 45 i moved forward those two inches and had to modify the front and rear driveshafts and trans mount.

Not exactly apples to apples since the 6.0 is complete and the 5.7 is a long block. We have a 2UZ next to the 5.7 as well. I measured a 5.7 Gen II TBI motor too.

engine 5.7 3UR
H 27 to top of heads
w 30 to widest point on heads
d 27 to front of wp flange

6.0 LQ4
H 26 to top of heads (you can get a short intake)
w 26 to widest point on exhaust manifolds
d 27 to front of pulleys

4.7 2UZ
h 36 to top of intake (really tall intake)
w 25 ex man width
d 27

5.7 Gen II
h 26 to top of TBI
w 24 to outside of ram horns
d 28.5

i think the battery tray (easy to move) and the power brakes and steering shaft (not so much) would be the interference points. My vette manifolds are tighter than the truck manifolds and the steering shaft has to run on the outside of the frame rail up to a u joint to bring it back in.

Last edited:
^^^ this

The toyota wants to see lots of stuff you might not want to transfer over. Wheel speed sensors, Yaw sensors, anti-theft, etc.

If you were going to do it, I'd use a megasquirt or something similar. Eliminate the Toyota PCM. Then you'd have to use a different trans or figure out how to control it electronically. I think the VVTi would be a problem then as well. The Toyota engine wiring harness is integrated into the vehicle harness. Unlike the LS harness that is designed to be stand alone. I have easily 100 hours into sorting and paring down a 1FZ harness. I can do an LS harness in about 4 or buy one for a couple of hundred bucks.

The 5.7 is a huge motor as well. The size of the overhead cam heads is ginormous.

toyota just gave us 2 5.7L iForce long blocks. We have a dozen LM7 and LQ4 GM motors. I happen to have one of each sitting next to each other in the engine lab. The 5.7 is just a long block and the 6.0 is complete.

View attachment 1079091

Now add in the 6.0 will bolt to lots of transmissions, you can have the computer reprogrammed for $100, you can buy a ton of aftermarket stuff for it, stock parts can be had at the grocery store, you can make Toyota power pretty easily, and its a 300,000 mile engine and the Toyota engine becomes a very expensive novelty.

That picture is worth 1000 words! The 5.7 is nice technology, but there is something to be said for old-school push rods if you are trying to cram more HP into our Pigs...

Nothing is easy with a Pig, is it?

All those LS motors. ill take one off you, you know, so you have more room in your shop.

I worked at a brewery my whole life and that's what they said about the beer that couldn't be sold. Had to be crushed! ;) :cheers:

How would the 4.7 from the older tundra work in the pig? I would love the power and dependability that my tundra has to be in my pig. 253,000 and still running strong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom