Look what I found.... 1961 FJ40 FST (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

so a couple of questions???

- any comments on that old motor above appreciated.
- the side cover i pulled off the steer box; do people think this should have a gasket?
- i know there a thread somewhere, but... what oil for this steer box and how full?

- finally, this groove near my fingertip... supposed to be an o ring? about to see if my parts book thinks so. thanks.

013.JPG

so a couple of questions???

- any comments on that old motor above appreciated.
- the side cover i pulled off the steer box; do people think this should have a gasket?
- i know there a thread somewhere, but... what oil for this steer box and how full?

- finally, this groove near my fingertip... supposed to be an o ring? about to see if my parts book thinks so. thanks.

View attachment 1083016
I just re-did the all the gaskets on my steering box. That side cover had a thin gasket on it, i made a new one from from a sheet of gasket material. It was really thin, about the thickness of paper money, i also put thread sealant on the bolts. Later Cruisers had a rubber washer on the bolts to keep oil in but the ones i had were worn, so the thread sealant did the trick.

I used SAE 90 gear oil and filled it up to the top of the two top bolts on the front of the steering box.

And yes there is a o ring on the top part of steering box shaft.

thanks tahoe - will make a thin gasket and sort this next. this steer box was filthy with old hard caked oil. great to see no moisture inside; was expecting the worst. this is the blessing part of the steer wheel being such a pita to remove!

so tinker tinker. pulled this...ahem...'gizmo' from wreck #1 and tested it. you can see my original (still in the sleeve) was missing the metal contact.

006.JPG

then noticed this wear and crack on my original steer sleeve (from the column shift assembly being loose) so pulled donor sleeve, the stick shift clamp and firewall boot.

007.JPG

straightened up where my firewall been hacked and got all this together. made gasket for steer box and called it a night. tinker tinker; but it feels good catskinner!

010.JPG 012.JPG

Westaussie your that inspiration I need, tinker tinker I'm getting excited about getting stuck into my 63 next

Hey westaussie I was digging the creek out for one of those old colonial type farmers the other month and got talking about old toyotas
Turns out his old father had a brand new fj45 in 1963.
they had only had it a few months when disaster struck, he was driving home from town one day and the 5 gal drum of oil he had brought started to rub the pant off the passenger door
So as any proud fj45 owner would do he leaned over to move the drum when BANG there was a dogsleg in the track and he made contact with a ironbark tree at fair gallop
When the dust cleared the right chassis rail had been setback a few inches, a busted engine mount and struth NO FRONT TEETH as they had been smashed out by the knob on the windscreen ventilation flap
They fixed her up but she was never the same and I would guess trying to eat an apple was never the same either :)

Must be something with 1963 models westaussie Haha

Ha ha what a yarn!

now you're talking my language cat! get a thread started so we can see some pics of you mythical 63! starting to think my burnt 63 has a bent chassis. havent studied it yet but had my 64 parked alongside the other day and the rear chassis sections just didnt eyeball correctly between the 2 of them.

it depends on the passenger but sometimes its ok if the 'pants' rub off them haha. but spooky yarn cat. my family had a new 63; first new one they ever bought after liking the used 25 they had. when still new my uncle had a head on with it on a dirt road. driver of the other car was killed and my uncle lost an eye. it was replaced with a new 65.

Hehehehehe too true too true I agree with you there westaussie but it does definitely depend on the passenger
your uncle lost a eye and I forgot one, meant to say paint not pant

Not so sure about driving a 1963 now better be safe and trade her in a 1962

get to work on your 72 mate. give me the 63 and i will lock her up safe before she hurts anyone.

You guys get Inox over there? I swear by it.

use them all but absolutely swear by heat.

anyway couple hrs tonight; more baby steps but lots of them.

this one for you cult. i coulda pulled a donor but then what was i gonna do with this cut lump? slapped it back together with some metal filler product. perfect to fill the hole for the job at hand.

015.JPG 023.JPG

tracked down the trouble light fault to a chaffed wire at the clamp before it leaves the cab. this had been really bugging me.

tested much of the horn circuit. cleaned points in the relay and got much of this this working as i think it should.

finally freed up the bottom of the clutch hyd hard line. heated this so many times.

refitted pedals; had pulled them gain to patch firewall.

was not happy with the fit of my newly made front brake flex lines. they were too tight in the wheel cyls for my liking. put them in the vice and used an old pitted donor wheel cyl as a 'die nut' to get the threads a bit more user friendly. fitted these.

started to bleed brakes. had a win but my method of old pick handle and blocks of wood was a bit onorous so gave it best until i have a spare pair of hands.

retired to study the horn circuit some more. good progress.

and a couple pics comparing the steer wheel to a battered 64 i have to hand.

i have read on mud about fj25 steer wheels being 'unique'; something to do with the turn signals. never really bothered me much because ausse 25 run the winkers from a seperate switch on the dash. but is this a leftover 25 steer wheel on the 61??

026.JPG 025.JPG

Another indicator thingy saved! Nice work there west. Now drown it in inox for the next pull ;)

spline count seems same as later; i made it 36 i think.

anyways was a mild night with a healthy esky so tinkered late. po broken bolts. got last couple out of the trans hump and ran a tap through them all. couple stripped, couple missing but plenty of holes available should i choose to bolt the trans hump down (seems i have never bothered before!). gave up on the front drivers seat bolts; i am not going to get these. this one (thin rusty mount anyway) i may cut out of a wreck and weld in (or make something) and the other shall grind off from underneath and go the bolt washer fix.

017.JPG

have been thinking for some time that this pretty much faultless windscreen surround belongs on little sister. surround on little sis has been bent, butchered at the top and generally stuffed with so is the perfect swap. started thinking sooner rather than later; may be better fix than putting some sorta glass into this one. little sis pictured:

004.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG

have been heating everything repeatedly so this is an easy swap in the future. all the screen hinge studs etc. got these out,cleaned threads and replace with plenty antiseize so they good to go. interior mirror and wipers the same.

019.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom