New GX470 owner with some questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I thought I'd say hi to the forum. I just bought a 2008 GX470 with 45k miles (one owner, all Lexus maintained). I couldn't find one (worth having) in the local area with KDSS, but I suspect that mods may be easier without the extra hydraulics. Or so I tell myself. ;)

Anyhow, a clean truck ready for mods.

My previous offroad experience is all Green Oval. Loved my 2003 Disco, when it was running (which was most of the time). But I just couldn't rationalize the lack of reliability any more.

I knew all of the manufacturers and sources for Land Rover aftermarket bits, but learning the equivalent for the Lexus is proving to be a bit tougher. Of course the problem is compounded by the GX470 being a less frequently modded vehicle.

I'm starting to look into a mild lift, probably 2". Then probably rock sliders, then underbody protection, and then F & R steel bumpers with a front winch. I guess lockers would be last on the list. I had F&R ARB air lockers on my Disco and most of the time didn't need them, but when you do need them, wow, what a difference. Also, the compressor is great for airing back up.

If you folks could direct me to some sources for lifts (which company and then which kit? FJ? Prado?) that'd be great.

Also kind of need to find a good 4x4 shop in the Seattle area to help me with the build-out.

Lastly, would like to find a decent offroad group in the local area and not quite sure where to look for that.

If you guys could help me make the transition from Land Rover cultist to 'yota fanatic, I'd appreciate the assistance.

Thanks, :)

Welcome, lots of good info here, don't forget to reference Club Lexus as well.
Metal tech is a good source for some of what you want, sliders, rear coil conv etc..

Welcome! You've come to the right place and figuring out the search function will help you find many opinions, write-ups and other resources. Other sites that have a more global perspective are pradopoint.com and toyota120.com as well as clublexus.com (mentioned above) which is more specific to our 2UZ-J120 vehicles. Keep in mind that many suspension and chassis parts are shared with the same year 4Runners, FJ Cruisers and overseas Land Cruiser Prado. The 2UZ-FE engine is also used in the 4Runner, sequoia, land cruiser and tundra so you'll find some aftermarket support there as well.

Welcome! I once strayed from the land of the Rising Sun to the land of the Green Oval, wow what an experience.:bang:

You can probably start with MetalTech for suspension and slider ideas; as others have said, the GX front suspension is the same as the 2003-2009 4Runner and FJ Cruiser, so plenty of crossover - thus you can look into the many other options if MT doesn't have something to your liking (ToyTec, ARB, Ironman, TJM, etc.). For the rear, MT offers a simple kit to convert to coils from the airbags.

Southern Style Speed also has some armor options. Short of that, there's not really anything else unless you want to chop sheetmetal and use something designed for the Prado (a la @DanKunz). Possibly ASFIR and BudBuilt have some skidplate options?

The IFS and rear axle on the GX are also shared with other Toyota models, so gears and traction devices are plentiful.

I hope you enjoy the GX!

Joined Club

Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated. :)

I'll post upgrades as I add them.

I was a huge LR fan prior to buying my GX. I loved my 2000 Disco. However, i didn't love visiting my mechanic every other week. The GX has been great and i couldn't be happier with the transition to Lexus. :)

I'm also in the market for some new upgrades. I just put on new wheels and tires and am saving up for the 2" lift. Several options/brands to choose from.

I loved my Disco, too. Used to wheel with a bunch of Jeep guys in YJ's and everyone got a kick out of it.

Last month started looking for a new rig after having traded the Disco for a boat years ago. Needed a second vehicle for towing quads into the campsite and that sorta stuff, was pretty set on picking up an '04 D2.

Then I remembered the GX existed and did a little digging around.

Ended up buying an '05 GX470 Sport last weekend with ~84k on the odo.

be careful over on club lexus, they can be kinda sensitive to differing opinions and anyone who challenges the norm or questions things... i got a good lashing over there from a mod for me stating an opinion, it went all the way to the admin and my comments deleted and a warning given. no warning from the mods or anyone. just a block in a thread and notice from admin to watch it... its a good source for some info but take things with a grain of salt. they seam to not understand that a 10+ year old vehicle that has over 100k miles has maintence needs and parts wear out. it seams like there is an awful lot of griping about this and that should be covered under warranties, items such as tires, or breaks ect. things that most gear heads and true automotive enthusiast understand are wear items and need to be either maintained or replaces as apart of regular service or ownership... i got sick of it and the over reaction resulting in me having to explain myself to the admin was enough for me to kick them like a bad habbit. again its a good resource for some info and TSB etc, but they can be kinda pompous, but i guess thats the lexus side of things... its why i will always be a simple man.

I suspect that, as a group, folks who are building an offroad capable rig are more used to, and open to, changing things from factory spec, and also recognize that things break and wear out. Probably also a bit more understanding that no vehicle design is perfect (or perfect for all applications).

Off-pavement = more open mind maybe? ;)

Still never understand that kind of reaction to politely offered opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom