FJ70 thinking of export to USA. How much can I get for it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.4x4xcolombia.com
Hey everyone, I have a 1986 FJ70 with some mods and have realized its time to think about a way to let it go. I have only used it twice in the past year... I realize that because of the year, it could in theory be imported to the USA without much hassle and that could potentially be a good deal for me. So my question would be, HOW MUCH CAN I GET FOR THIS FJ IN THE USA.

MODS LIST: Full Old Man Emu Suspension, 33x12.5R15 BF Goodrich MT tyres (60%thread), custom front and rear bumpers, custom sliders, 12,000 lb mile marker hydraulic winch with synthetic line, Lightforce HID Blitz 240s, Safari Snorkel, Custom Headers, OEM soft top, IPF backup light.

The car is in good general condition, does have some rust spots on the wheel wells which can easily be corrected. It is currently located in Colombia and depending on the numbers I would look into exporting to Miami, FL.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Opinions?

Rust spots or rust holes? Miles? (kms?) More photos might help. No hard top is a slight negative. You might contact Cruisers Northwest in Portland, Oregon area to see if they're interested in it. They are beginning to import LHD 70 series for sale in the US.

Rust Spots, bubbles under the paint.

Thats weird about the rag top, i thought that would be a plus... it is a plus here in Colombia at least. 260,000km is the reading, engine is in great condition as it was overhauled a little less than two years ago.

I think if people are going to go through the effort of buying a 70 series and work out finding replacement parts to maintain it, they will want a rust free hardtop model. Some parts of the US doesn't get snow, but a lot of places do. A hardtop is nice for that and makes it a better expedition suited vehicle which they are often used for up here. I would say you could get 10k for it here. Keep in mind too the aftermarket stuff doesn't do a lot to increase value as not everybody wants the exact aftermarket stuff on their rig that you personally like. Just my opinion.

Thank you for all your replys. They really help out. I understand everything you are saying about the rag top, I actually got rid of the FRP top some 3 years ago...

Definitely understand that the "prime" market for 70s is diesel variants.

10k is roughly what I can expect to get here, I just figured this might be the first rig to experiment with the import process to the USA. Unfortunately diesel cruisers are hard to find here, we have mostly gassers... so that might be a bit of a turn off.

Thanks for the help *and compliments*!

FZJ73 FRP and you've my undivided attention......but I'm in the minority.....actually, more like the one and only, with affinity for the 1FZ.

Those are a dime a dozen here... unfortunately they are not "aged" enough to be able to import to the US.

FZJ73 FRP and you've my undivided attention......but I'm in the minority.....actually, more like the one and only, with affinity for the 1FZ.

Not the only one. Wouldn't mind a diesel, but I would take a FZJ70 first. Better parts support, power, and smell.

I understand everything you are saying about the rag top, I actually got rid of the FRP top some 3 years ago...

You went from FRP to soft-top? Is it a factory Toyota soft-top, or a custom made top? Reason i ask is I have a BJ74 with FRP and I am trying to figure a way to have both FRP (for winter season) and soft top (for all other seasons). I've tracked down factory soft tops, but to convert from FRP to soft top is a LOT of work. Something I would not like to do more than perhaps once. On top of that, all the extra parts needed to go from FRP to soft top add up to be quite a lot of $$ (plus $$ shipping from another country).

I tracked down a German company that was making custom soft tops to replace FRP tops for 73/74 Cruisers, but I contacted them recently and they are no longer selling complete kits, only some replacement pieces. And when I asked them which pieces they had available, they never responded again... :(

Anyway, any details you may have would be great. :)

FWIW, without examining it, i think that truck could possibly do a couple more than $10k here, but not so much more that it's worth it after shipping and import fees are added on. (BTW, nice USA FJ60s--with the damn 4 speed manual!--can pull north of $10k--and those aren't nearly as rare as a nice FJ7x--which all have 5 speed manuals.)

I also think there is def a market for the soft top. There's plenty of dryer states/places in the US that don't see too terribly much moisture and even more that don't see much snow. But I'm in Utah and get plenty of snow and I would trade my FRP for a soft top any day. Not to mention, there's always the "rarity" factor of a soft top 7x (there's like 5 of them in all of North America). In fact, I would even be super, duper tempted to trade my super clean, weird, stinky, RHD hard top BJ74 for an equivalent condition, LHD, gasser, factory soft top FJ73. And I'd be willing to bet I ain't the only one. (Though I'd also prefer the 1FZ over the 3FE as well....)

All that being said, I agree that you'd def be better off just selling local for $10k.

-Ferg

Last edited:
Those late FZJ71 are just plain rockets .. so much power on small Cruiser .. the issue ( way I see it ) for us ( latinos ) to send any 70 series to the north it's simple .. our Cruisers are rarely jewels of any home .. those are work horses .. which it's a huge difference compared with the JDM market .. so it will be always hard to get those Cruisers in the same pristine condition you can source one in the JDM market ..

You went from FRP to soft-top? Is it a factory Toyota soft-top, or a custom made top? Reason i ask is I have a BJ74 with FRP and I am trying to figure a way to have both FRP (for winter season) and soft top (for all other seasons). I've tracked down factory soft tops, but to convert from FRP to soft top is a LOT of work. Something I would not like to do more than perhaps once. On top of that, all the extra parts needed to go from FRP to soft top add up to be quite a lot of $$ (plus $$ shipping from another country).

I tracked down a German company that was making custom soft tops to replace FRP tops for 73/74 Cruisers, but I contacted them recently and they are no longer selling complete kits, only some replacement pieces. And when I asked them which pieces they had available, they never responded again... :(

Anyway, any details you may have would be great. :)

FWIW, without examining it, i think that truck could possibly do a couple more than $10k here, but not so much more that it's worth it after shipping and import fees are added on. (BTW, nice USA FJ60s--with the damn 4 speed manual!--can pull north of $10k--and those aren't nearly as rare as a nice FJ7x--which all have 5 speed manuals.)

I also think there is def a market for the soft top. There's plenty of dryer states/places in the US that don't see too terribly much moisture and even more that don't see much snow. But I'm in Utah and get plenty of snow and I would trade my FRP for a soft top any day. Not to mention, there's always the "rarity" factor of a soft top 7x (there's like 5 of them in all of North America). In fact, I would even be super, duper tempted to trade my super clean, weird, stinky, RHD hard top BJ74 for an equivalent condition, LHD, gasser, factory soft top FJ73. And I'd be willing to bet I ain't the only one. (Though I'd also prefer the 1FZ over the 3FE as well....)

All that being said, I agree that you'd def be better off just selling local for $10k.

-Ferg

Before you flop for a soft top you should know something.

I drove a BJ70 FST last week between Tooele and SLC on I-80. The top was well-fitted and in perfect condition. The thing flapped like a chicken with its head chopped off. Very irritating at highway speed.

I would like a soft top similar to the one ICON/TLC is doing on their FJ40's. Basically, the 3-ply canvas top stays in place and the side and rear panels are removable. I've already asked TLC if they'd offer them for the 73/74 and right now the market just isn't there.

IMO, I'd say the soft top adds value. One can still mod a 73/74 FRB top to fit, as Crusher's has done and have the option.

I drove a BJ70 FST last week between Tooele and SLC on I-80. The top was well-fitted and in perfect condition. The thing flapped like a chicken with its head chopped off. Very irritating at highway speed.

That's what good stereos are for! Seriously tho, yes they are a little noisy, but the benefits of a soft top are hard to beat. Not sure about driving it around in the winter in SLC, but doable I'm sure.

I would like a soft top similar to the one ICON/TLC is doing on their FJ40's. Basically, the 3-ply canvas top stays in place and the side and rear panels are removable. I've already asked TLC if they'd offer them for the 73/74 and right now the market just isn't there.

IMO, I'd say the soft top adds value. One can still mod a 73/74 FRB top to fit, as Crusher's has done and have the option.

Yes please!

Woulda been nice if you coulda swung by my place with it and let me run around in it with you.... I'm just in Provo you know.... Nobody woulda minded. :D Come to think of it, why in the world was I not invited to "help out" this time.....? Maybe it was all the drool I left on all the interiors from last time we moved them all around.... :p

-Ferg

Hi all,

albertom, cool rig! :)

Yes, diesel 70 Series are quite sought after here in North America, but repair parts can be hard to get and expensive in comparison to the Toyota gas (petrol) engines used in Land Cruiser wagons (FR60, FJ62, FJ80, FZJ80) sold in the USA in the 1980s and 90s.

Plus, unlike the fabled JDM trucks your FJ70 is left-hand drive.

Question: do 70 Series sold in Columbia come with a heater? I've heard of 40/43/45 models sold in Central America that did not have a heater.

Good luck on the sale of your truck, it is a nice one!

Regards,

Alan

Hey everyone, I have a 1986 FJ70 with some mods and have realized its time to think about a way to let it go. I have only used it twice in the past year... I realize that because of the year, it could in theory be imported to the USA without much hassle and that could potentially be a good deal for me. So my question would be, HOW MUCH CAN I GET FOR THIS FJ IN THE USA.

MODS LIST: Full Old Man Emu Suspension, 33x12.5R15 BF Goodrich MT tyres (60%thread), custom front and rear bumpers, custom sliders, 12,000 lb mile marker hydraulic winch with synthetic line, Lightforce HID Blitz 240s, Safari Snorkel, Custom Headers, OEM soft top, IPF backup light.

The car is in good general condition, does have some rust spots on the wheel wells which can easily be corrected. It is currently located in Colombia and depending on the numbers I would look into exporting to Miami, FL.

View attachment 1082564 View attachment 1082565 View attachment 1082566 View attachment 1082567 View attachment 1082568

Opinions?

:meh: Yer' just old.....

:lol:

:flipoff2:

Must have been a rubbish top. I took the FRP top off my BJ73 last year and put the soft top, which seems to be from an LJ and just fits, and driven down the interstate at 70ish without it being too bad. It is like any open top vehicle but the rear portion did not flop around with all the windows removed. Its nice to have it completely open and sans upper door halves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom