HJ60 clutch slipping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, on the weekend while towing my 1 tonne boat up a slight hill I noticed the revs start to rise as the speed dropped (in fourth gear of the 5 speed gearbox). I backed off and managed to launch the boat, go fishing, and drive the 150km trip home that afternoon without incident.... Then it happened again yesterday while I wasn't towing, so I think it is new clutch time....
Is there a brand of clutch kit I should buy / avoid? I am currently looking at the Exedy clutch kits on Ebay for about $270 Au, but unsure if I need the heavy duty or Safari Tuff kit?? I don't want a horribly heavy clutch if it isn't needed.... Aside from the clutch kit, what else should I do while I am there - was planning on new rear main seal, new clutch slave cylinder, new rubber boot covering the fork... Anything else? I think I have a leak at the front of the gearbox somewhere - is this common and an easy fix(hopefully)??...
Any other info would be great!! (Already started reading though the other clutch posts...)
Thanks heaps!
Drew

New oil pan gasket as well. I also would recommend that you do the gasket and seal on the front bearing retainer on the transmission, cheap and easy. You don't want to ruin a new clutch by getting oil on it that you could have easily prevented, you will be upset, trust me. I'd also get your flywheel resurfaced and balanced along with your new pressure plate by your local machine shop.

How many miles (kilometers?) on the current clutch? Just wondering.

Aisin or Luk clutches are what most use including myself with good results.

Not sure what you have but up here in Canada, HJ60 w/5 speed came with a clutch booster. Makes for a light clutch. First imported in 1986 so your 1983 sounds different.

I got the safari sports tuff clutch very happy if you do some research they are held in pretty high regard. Slightly more pedal pressure but you can tell it can take a bit more abuse that the standard. I got 170,000 out of my standard clutch before it started slipping like yours.

Thanks for the comments / suggestions everyone! Cruisermatt, the car has 472000k's on it - I have had it for the past 30000. From the info I have the current clutch has been there for 250000k's, a good run!
Looking under the car today - there is a lot of gearbox oil over everything!

Thanks for the comments / suggestions everyone! Cruisermatt, the car has 472000k's on it - I have had it for the past 30000. From the info I have the current clutch has been there for 250000k's, a good run!
Looking under the car today - there is a lot of gearbox oil over everything!
A lot probably points to rear main seal but usually that is misdiagnosed and it's really the side plates and sump pan leaking. You won't know until you get it off but grab a rear main just in case, they're around $20 for a nok.

Prepare to have your patience tested if you're doing the clutch yourself.

Thanks mate! No - it is a job I am not looking forward to!! Phoned Toyota - $121 for a genuine rear main seal, $20 from Discount autos... Toyota want $120 for the sump gasket too....

Not suggesting that the Toyota seal is worth the money but some generic seals are not very good. I've seen the variation on things like wheel bearing seals and transfer case seals. Never done the rear main. But given the amount of work needed to get in there ... I'd double check the brand of the discount seal.

Just a bit of an update - my neighbour asked if I had tried adjusting the clutch at the slave cylinder. I replied that I didn't think they are adjustable... They are, and there was pressure on the clutch fork even with the clutch released, so after adjusting it to allow a bit of free play it is now fine again.... Hopefully o won't have to worry about it for a mother few months...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom