Events/Trails "Official 200's in Ouray Event: Labor Day Weekend 2015" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hmm Im a strong maybe for this.

Just checked our kids will be off track during those dates.

I miss the track school days when I lived in Utah. Now in Texas they come to your door with pitchforks if your kids miss days without an excuse. We should do Cruiser Fest also sometime. I probably can't make it.

This will be my 3rd FJ summit. 1st one in the 200. It is an awesome event put on by good people. Ill be there if anyone that did not register wants to show up. I was online right at opening for registration. Last year it took 9 hours to fill up. This year 39 minutes. On the Saturday I am not signed up for any trails. I rented a house in Ouray this year since the wife and son will finally be going.

I've gone the last two years in the 200 but didn't sign up this year. Would have been great with another 200.

I can tell you that the Fjs are geared high and will run off and try to leave you at times. The 200 low gear is great, but you can't move fast and if you go back to high you lose your articulation and smooth ride. This happens a lot going down hill. I'm cruising along and the FJs are breaking all the way down.

[QUOTE="BTUMAN, post: 9757234, member: 46519]This happens a lot going down hill. I'm cruising along and the FJs are breaking all the way down.[/QUOTE]

Braking or Breaking? :grinpimp:
image.jpg
image.jpg

Made our condo reservations! Additionally, I hope I'll have a surprise guest I can announce soon! View from top of a 14er...
DSC00120.JPG

Looking to add a 200 shot to my library

Looking to add a 200 shot to my library
Here are a couple of videos. You have to do the gulch and black bear or you leave your Land Cruiser card at home.

Last edited:
How do we obtain some spotters (volunteer or hire)? The guys in the 100 section are talking up the current HIH and how nice the spotters were in making the sketchy parts of the trail (last year) not so sketchy. Check it out and lets kick around some ideas, or not.
thanks

I've been down Black Bear twice now. It's not technical. At all. That being said, I still wouldn't do it without someone in the group with detailed knowledge of that trail.

How do we obtain some spotters (volunteer or hire)? The guys in the 100 section are talking up the current HIH and how nice the spotters were in making the sketchy parts of the trail (last year) not so sketchy. Check it out and lets kick around some ideas, or not.
thanks

We can spot each other- at least those who have a couple of years helping others. There really is no need to pay or have spotters outside the group. It's just not that hard. These trails are more like gravel roads in most places.

That said Pughkeepsi is the really only one and chances are there will be a line and you can see the line by the time it is your turn. It changes every year and it much harder it wet.

The only spot on Black Bear is the steps at the water fall. Put me as maybe.

Mrs and I will be coming. I will be getting confirmation on our cabin in a day or so.

We can spot each other- at least those who have a couple of years helping others. There really is no need to pay or have spotters outside the group. It's just not that hard. These trails are more like gravel roads in most places.

That said Pughkeepsi is the really only one and chances are there will be a line and you can see the line by the time it is your turn. It changes every year and it much harder it wet.

The only spot on Black Bear is the steps at the water fall. Put me as maybe.
That's good info. You and your experience / history there will be nice to have if you can make it.

I will go through tomorrow and update the list to post 1. Thanks James. We should be able to spot each other. Nothing too challenging.

If you can spot anywhere else you can spot in the San Juans. Pughkeepsi is really not that hard.

Black Bear just requires you pay attention. If you stay on the road it's pretty hard to get in trouble. If your rubber necking at the view and drop a tire off, well maybe you die. If you have a mechanical problem maybe you die. It's not a hard trail just really exposed for a long time.

If I make it up there I'll lead a trail for you guys. I just can't commit to the time at this point.

The best advice I can give you guys is get on the trails early. Especially that weekend. If you start Black Bear at 9-10am your in for a long wait dropping into Telluride as it will get backed up bad. Especially if grandpa decides to take his full size pick up out for a Sunday drive. I've seen some dumb stuff up there

Last edited:
I agree 100% with Corbet. Most of the trails are relatively easy from a technical obstacle perspective. Black Bear can be mentally challenging, especially if you or your passenger do not like heights, because it is so exposed once you get to and past the steps on the way down to Telluride.

Yep. Agree. There is actually a sign that says "point of no return" on Black Bear at the top. After that only one way down. For those with turn assist (I wish I had it) you will get to use it on two hair pin curves on the switchback. Oh...and maybe you die.

Not really. Unless you want to play Dukes of Hazard or forget which one is the gas or the brake going down- you will be fine.

Surround cameras, turn assist and 4 low are nice to have. On downhill which side is valley passenger side or driver side?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom