Help Me Pick a Compressor Brand (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ60Seth

SILVER Star
Threads
Looking for new, good quality, not price sensitive. Require 10-15 cfm @ 80 psi. Shop is already wired for 220v/50 amp. I know to go 80 gallon, 5HP, 2-stage. What brand? Thanks in advance.

This is where I would start. I have a 7.5 hp 2 stage on a 80 gal tank. Probably more than you need. But
I also bought a cheap one previous, and ended up selling it and upgrading. I personally can't say enough about how
good mine is.

http://www.dvcompressors.com/?page_id=2154

I've had my Ingersoll Rand now for over ten years now with now issues. Rated at 100% duty cycle with 14.8 CFM @ 90 psi. I've read some negative reviews, so quality and assembly could be an issue. Seems using correct wire gauge to electric motor is important to avoid motor burning out. Pump seems to be made in India according to a review in the link below. Maybe mine was built at a time when quality was better. Sometimes, it is better to buy all older model hopefully with all American made components.

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/Reviews/Ingersoll-Rand-2340L5.230-1-Air-Compressor/rv705.html

BTW, I got mine at Home Depot. Looks like they still sell them.

http://t.homedepot.com/p/Ingersoll-Rand-5-HP-2-Stage-Compressor-230-Volt-1-2340L5-V/202885716
image.jpg

I've been running a Eaton for the past decade with zero issues as well. It has a constant run feature as well. I have recommended at least three Eaton's to friends over the years and they too have had no problems. I recommend you install a timed (adjustable) auto dump for the tank if you plan on long running durations. Clean, dry air is paramount to any shop size for a trouble free air system. I plan on adding a hour meter to my compressor for maintenance reasons.
IMG_0520.JPG

Thanks everyone for your input. DV looks amazing but US distribution seems thin. I've read a lot of mediocre reviews on newer IR compressors so I'm going to pass on them. I'm deciding between Eaton and Champion, they have very similar specs. Delivered to my door, Eaton is about 30% less. Champion comes with a few more doodads like auto-tank drain, low oil level monitor, and isolation pads. Champion has a balanced crankshaft, Eaton does not say. Champion has a picture of the after-cooler. It has a small radiator thing attached. Eaton just says "built-in cooler line". Champion has local parts & service available. Eaton has zero info on their website about how to obtain warranty-service. If the pump or motor fails, do you ship it back? Any more info will be appreciated.

Last edited:
The newer Champion pumps aren't what they used to be - the castings are done outside the US and machined to spec here . Probably still way ahead of IR , though . Plant is in my old hometown 15 miles south and my Mom worked there for a lot of years as a book keeper . Buddy of mine is an ex-machinst of theirs , he isn't all that impressed with them anymore either . I'd almost just look for a good used older unit - it would probably outlast the new ones anyway . I have an older 80's Speedair , tough as nails and pump is around 23cfm @150psi . It will outrun my pot sand blaster running a 3/16" tip at full tilt and has survived 10+hr sessions blasting parts , albeit a bit hot at times , lol . Older Champion , Speedair , some IR's , Adam Copco and Eaton's are the ones to get if you can find them . Check around for used machinery brokers - such as www.lostcreekmachine.com as they will get high quality older units in from factory closings when they buy out their equipment that isn't shipped overseas when plants relocate .

Sarge

i have a 1952 kellogg american compressor and it still runs great after 60 + years

I'd like to buy a good used compressor but I've been scouring CL for months and not finding an older 2 stage, 80 gallon, vertical, 5hp, single phase. The good ones are all horizontal and/or 3 phase. I'm leaning towards a new Quincy or Champion.

I was in the same boat. Couldn't find a good compressor on CL even after looking for months. Finally went to a air compressor dealer. He had a bunch of old Quincys sitting in the back from installs that he did. He gets them for almost nothing, refurbs them, and sells them at a very reasonable price, even with a warranty. I was in for a little over a grand for a Quincy 325 with a brand new baldor motor, starter, delivery, and warranty. When all else fails, try the retail shops and see what they have in the back.

That's a great score , there are a couple around here for sale and if I had the extra cash I'd put them in storage - older Quincy pumps are monsters - overbuilt and very tough . Most industrial factories used their larger commercial 4cyl versions and their 2-stage 2cy units are just as tough .
Sarge

bmorefj40 thanks for the suggestion. A friend recommend a local air compressor dealer that has been around for decades. I'm going to talk to them.

Quincy x2

Thanks jb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom