What would it take to bring new 70-series into compliance? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've read a lot about the US import process, and there's two ways I would choose to get a new 70 series into the USA.

1) The best case scenario would be to convince Toyota to write a letter stating that the 70 series (pick one) is "substantially similar" to the 80-series or the 60-series, both sold in the US. This costs nothing and means anyone who wants to can go buy one from Gibraltar Toyota for however much, and never have to buy another truck again. I imagine this has been tried again and again and that it has not worked - Toyota is probably unwilling to do this.

2) The expensive option - bring the 70 series into compliance with US regulations. Unfortunately, this involves crash-testing them. Putting a large amount of capital into this to bring the truck into compliance would also involve equipping them with ODB-II, unless they come with it - I don't believe they do, but perhaps I am mistaken. A very large domestic market would need to be identified to make it worth it. And I would tend to think that Toyota's economists had already done these very projections.

These are the two ways I know of to make the 70 series legal for import. I do not know of any loopholes. Can anyone here wager a guess as to what it would take to bring them into compliance, perhaps with a per-truck cost? Thanks.

Last edited:
Supposedly a group of people (fans or say investors) take the effort to bring the 70 series in compliance with US regulations (crash testing 10 or whatever number is needed), will it make the car legally to be importer afterwards ?

Can individuals legally import them based on this previous recognition or the said group of people (I believe it must be done via some kind of company ... LLC or similar) will have exclusive rights for import ?

Other than a more modern engine producing somewhat more horsepower along with a few cosmetic changes, there is not a substantial difference between the legal to import and the not legal to import ones.

Is there any official requirements guide on this matter ? Can anyone link me to it ?

Supposedly a group of people (fans or say investors) take the effort to bring the 70 series in compliance with US regulations (crash testing 10 or whatever number is needed), will it make the car legally to be importer afterwards ?

Can individuals legally import them based on this previous recognition or the said group of people (I believe it must be done via some kind of company ... LLC or similar) will have exclusive rights for import ?

It would require a ton of changes in addition to the crash testing. Things like the light lenses not being DOT certified, air bags, etc, etc, etc. If your company or group of investors goes through the expense of determining necessary changes to make them legal, then it has to be done to every one of them. They could share this information, but more likely keep it as a competitive advantage. Think Motorex and the Skylines they imported.

I don't have any nor I am an investor, wish I was though :)

I believe Motorex was shutdown a while ago, I'm not sure.

I don't have any nor I am an investor, wish I was though :)

I believe Motorex was shutdown a while ago, I'm not sure.

They are still around, but no longer importing Skylines.

Even if it can be brought into compliance, which I don't believe is possible, it will still need to be imported through a registered importer. The registered importer will do the necessary modifications before releasing the vehicle.

As an example, here are links to the summary of a petition filed by a registered importer, including the list of modifications, and the approval notice for the 1990-1996 Land Cruiser.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-1997-07-15/html/97-18468.htm

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-1997-09-16/html/97-24428.htm
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-1997-09-16/html/97-24428.htm
That's just for NHTSA. You still need to meet EPA requirements and possibly state requirements (emissions test, etc.).

IIRC, a registered importer is just like a contractor to build your house. He knows the ins and outs and how to make things happen. If you're willing to do the footwork and all of the other PIA work, you can do it yourself, serving as your own contractor or importer.

To the OP, consider just importing a cheap 70 with a good frame and simply rebuilding it with whatever new parts you want. In theory, you can have a brand new 70 on a >25 year old frame. This would be cheaper than getting a new one up to specs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom