FJ62 Newbie in Seattle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone, I'm a brand-new lc owner in Seattle. So, the other day I took a pretty big risk. I bought my first FJ62 sight pretty much unseen. I've been looking for the past two months and I knew I wanted a 62. So, one day in the middle of the week, I grabbed some cash, flew out to the middle of nowhere eastern Washington, picked up a rusted, loud, smelly and dirty 62...and didn't look back. Okay, I had a slight moment where I posted her on cl for a few days
IMG_6178.JPG
, but hey that's par for the course when you jump-in heads first. I see there's a meetup the 2nd tuesday of each month and I'm looking forward to meeting local folks.

Cheers

Congrats and welcome. Shes got a few red spots on her - but still can be loved! ;)

Time to break out the sawzall :wrench:

Thanks for saving her and good luck. You have your work cut out for you.

Congrats. I need to get out to one of the LC meet ups. Hope you've got some strong welding skills.

Official Mud welcome::flipoff2:
Make sure your tetanus shot is up to date!

Looks like a little bit of work ahead... What is the desired use of your mighty cruiser? Lumber carrier, trailhead access or?? Depending on your patience, budget and goals, you may want to replace some of those body parts (rather than repair them all). I found parts through this site and through craigslist seattle (also some success in portland).

How does she run?

Good success

Thanks for the replies all -- It's going to require some exterior TLC, that's for sure, but she runs excellent and no rust/rot on the frame! I'll keep you all updated.

Welcome to the board, good to see new cruisers in the Seattle area. If you need any help just let us know.

All cruisers are good cruisers. all need some work. Welcome!

Just got my truck back from the shop this morning. $999.03 later and she's oil-leak free and runs like a champ. To answer the obvious, no I'm not fixing the rust, that would be cost-prohibitive. I'm keeping her as-is :)

Then you're pretty lucky with the weather right now...I'd park her out in the sun all day then spray her early afternoon...metal will be hot and dry and really suck up any treatment you put on.

I'd use fluid film or something like that. That wd40 above is similar to pb blaster.....I have no idea if it actually prevents rust.

I'd get a bunch of rust converter gel or paint and apply liberally with a brush.....then paint. You will miss some cracks and crevices and rust will reappear, but will be easy to spot and just attack it again. Do this a few times over a year and the rust won't migrate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom