"Stock" Fuel can swing-out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Honger

Joel, TLCA #21509
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Threads
So I've been floating an idea around in my head and wanted to put it out there for some constructive criticism/input/etc.

What if you took a stock tube-style spare tire swing out, mirrored it, and mounted it to the passenger side with some modifications to make it carry fuel cans?

So I snagged all the parts I needed from @jgeoffr who managed to scavenge them off a 40 in Saudi (40-specific parts are hard to find in UAE).

065sparespare.jpg

I've been somewhat inspired by @DuXck and his swing out...
DSC_0120.jpg

DSC_0123-1.jpg

As seen in his thread here.

Any downsides I'm not seeing? And suggestions on things to add to the carrier? Shovel mount? Sealed container for recovery gear?

I'm having second thoughts as I kind of like having the ability to always open at least one side of the rear.

I've seen the same with the older flat type carriers. Just fab up some backing plates for inside the tub for reinforcement.

Yeah, I've got the factory backing plate with the captured nuts included in the parts above. I'd just need to measure twice before having it welded into the inside of the rear passenger corner then drill holes appropriately.

I would do it in reverse - figure out where you want the carrier to be, drill the holes and then put in the backing plate. You'll need to check, but it looks like the backing plate can be anywhere you want it to be along that rear quarter. It's a tight fit but once you have it in where you want it you can weld it down.

Oh and check with your local suppliers about the carrier bushings (plastic) and let me know if you need a couple sets. I was able to get them locally from Toyota and can ask for them again if needed. Worst they can say is that they are out of stock.

-Geoff

I think someplace in the world, there was a OEM swing out for the OEM jerry can. I talked to Marv years ago about finding one, he had only seen a few, they were middle east rigs. pretty sure I have only seen it in the parts books

Or I may be wrong

just like in the us I have seen pics of cans on the side (oem carriers)

mounted on the rear doors in pakistan... and with their own swing outs... here is a 7Xseries with one

the ones i had seen with the swing outs were on 45 toopies ... i'll see if i got pics of them
fj40_013_JTI_PakWheels(com).jpg
chapa3.jpg
162952-2-more-FJ-40s-Photo0437.jpg
DSC00055.JPG

yeah......those! ;)

Yeah, @boozewz also has one on his Saudi Troopy...
201108061.jpg

Just like Cruiser Ken's, the frame appears to match the OEM Toyota fuel rack, but the actually retaining equipment for the can itself doesn't match the OEM drawings.

@JohnnyC, I always love it when you chime in with old pics... and OEM illustrations. I just got done pulling the OEM illustrations off ToyoDIY and was about to post them here when I refreshed the thread and found you beat me to it.

I would do it in reverse - figure out where you want the carrier to be, drill the holes and then put in the backing plate. You'll need to check, but it looks like the backing plate can be anywhere you want it to be along that rear quarter. It's a tight fit but once you have it in where you want it you can weld it down.

Oh and check with your local suppliers about the carrier bushings (plastic) and let me know if you need a couple sets. I was able to get them locally from Toyota and can ask for them again if needed. Worst they can say is that they are out of stock.

-Geoff

Agreed on your reverse order of doing things... =)
Bushings shouldn't be a problem. Was considering modifying the hinges/pins anyway to be a bit more serviceable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom