Monstaliner, meet clear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I posted in the monstaliner thread asking about this but no reply. Has anyone done a proper clear coat job over their monstaliner or other bedliner? Prove it if you have.

The idea is to monsterline the whole rig one color and in the areas less prone to contact, scratching and wear I want to use the clear to create kind of a two tone effect. I also think the texture under the clear would look cool.

I think since Monstaliner is UV stable and not prone to fade, as well as being tough as nails, that you will be the first. But what would Mud be without all the pioneers trying new stuff? Go for it! Let us know how it goes and take lots of pics.

To me, prep is the most important thing to make the finish more durable. No need to put clear coat.

I'm not even a little worried about that durability of the monstaliner its proven itself. I'm more interested in the aesthetics of having a nice clear over the liner and was looking for a visual to see if it'd be worth attempting. It seems kind of counter intuitive to put a clean clear over something meant to take abuse but I'm a counter intuitive kinda person.

I like the idea of a glossy clear over the Monstaliner. My 80 is black Monstaliner and just looks like a flat black primer redneck truck from far away. Clear would be tough and have a touch more class.

Haha, I've been going back and forth between repainting or monster liner. I like the shiny coat because it's beautiful and clean, but at the same time, a paint ob is $1700-$3000 easy. Monster Liner will cost about $400, but if I can make it shiny, it would be even better, I will definitely go for Monster Liner + clear coat.

Edit: Just got off the phone with MonstaLiner, the rep said you can apply a clear coat on top but You will have to scuff the monstaliner and it has to be an Urethane based clear coat.
- I also asked about applying camo patterns using a different color, which is possible. You can apply the camo pattern after it cured or while it's still sticky but not so wet.
- I'm thinking you can also apply the clear coat while the monstaliner is still sticky so you don't have to scuff up the finish, BUT you must experiment with this before hand because it may cause a chemical reaction between clear coat and monstaliner.

@magnetman Can you shed some lights on this?

Last edited:
It seems to me that with the texture there would be several coats of clear and wetsanding to get a clean even finish. It'd be a lot of work but I think it would look fantastic if you get it done socal please post up some pictures. I was planning on doing mine but that project has been taken off the stove entirely, at least for now.

I don't plan to make it smooth like a paint job, I think I'm just going to spray a few coats and leave the texture. It's to help with the car wash when it comes time and I like shinny look vs the matte look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom