Vortec Mania Continues On.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Since I had the fenders off I cleaned up some rust an shot it with some self etching primer

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I'll caulk the seams with some seam sealer after the paint dries. I'm all set to put the front clip back on!:bounce::bounce2:

Put some paint over that primer

Quick update:
I have the front clip back on and have been busy fabing brackets and hooking up all the little things that need to be done.
CIMG0673.JPG
CIMG0672.JPG
CIMG0675.JPG

I mounted the engine higher than thought. i figured that the motor mounts would sag a little form the weight, but it didn't. That was a big "OH SH*T" moment since I was worried that the hood wouldn't close. Fortunately it did, (barely) but then I was worried about room for the air intake. Got lucky again with the Airaid intake tube.
CIMG0674.JPG

I think you are better off to get the engine as high as possible and just clear the hood, so you have better clearance around the oil pan. Looking good.

The engine fired right up, and I've driven it a few miles just to shake it down a bit. I'm having a couple of issues right now. for some reason the PCM won't link to the scanner via the OBD11 port. It was initially working, but when i tried to delete some codes it wouldn't hook up. Tried a different scanner with no luck. Checked the wiring and everything checks out ok. I've sent the PCM back to the programmer to see if there is anything he can do to correct the issue.

I am also having some issues with my DIY transmission rebuild. It works fine when I'm in D, 2, and 1 shifter position, but when i am in P3 the transmission stays in 2nd gear when you accerate, and just coasts when you let off the gas. i think that it is in limp mode when it does this. If anyone has thoughts on this I am open to suggestions. my guess is that it is electrical or in the valve body since it goes through all of the gears just fine in drive.

If you need to use a fuel tank pressure sensor, I used a $2 nylon hose adapter to hook it up.
CIMG0679.JPG

I think it was a 3/8" pipe to 1/4" hose adapter from the hardware store
CIMG0680.JPG

The hole needs to be drilled out a little to get the sensor to fit. Just need to tee it into the vent tube to finish it up. I safety wired it together just cuz I like to safety wire things;).
CIMG0678.JPG

Looking good, high in the engine compartment is good. :)

I think you are better off to get the engine as high as possible and just clear the hood, so you have better clearance around the oil pan. Looking good.
Thanks, Elbert, I agree, the higher the better. I don't think the engine cover is going to fit though. Oh well :meh:

I don't know but you might need to make sure gasoline does not consume that adapter you used to mate the fuel tank pressure sensor to the tank..some "plastics" do not tolerate extended exposure to gasoline. ON my 5.7 swap the hood just touches the top of my air intake (5.7 has different configuration)...so we got the engine as high as possible. The V8 swap makes the truck so much "better" its a true game changer for the better. If my 5.7 tanks at some point I'm going to swap a 6.0 if I can find one for reasonable $$.

never mind...I see you are going to "tee" in in the vent hose...should work I guess.

Man, it's looking really good. I like that AirRaid intake.

Thanks for the info on the FTP sensor - that will come in handy.

Wish I could offer advice on the tranny. Good luck with it.

-Ed

Man, it's looking really good. I like that AirRaid intake.

Thanks for the info on the FTP sensor - that will come in handy.

Wish I could offer advice on the tranny. Good luck with it.

-Ed
Thanks Ed. If you want the part # for the Airaid intake tube, just let me know. The only problem I see with it, is that it points toward the battery, impeding placement of an air cleaner. I'm going to relocate the battery to the left side to take care of that.

I'll just have to deal with the tranny issues later. My bad! :bang:

Update. got the PCM back from the programmer and everything checked out ok, so I hooked everything back up and my scanner still wouldn't link. Tried a third scanner that I borrowed from a parts store and it worked just fine. Moral of story; don't use a cheap $40 scanner if you are doing a LS swap.:slap:

The high quality scanner was able to read transmission codes which also solved my shifting issues. Changed out the MLPS switch and the pressure switch manifold that the PCM was having issues communicating with.
CIMG0700.JPG

Tranny now works like i should:bounce:.

When i had the instrument cluster out to hook up the gauges, it was a real PITA to hook up the speedo cable, so i made this tool out of an old pair of snap ring pliers and some scrap steel:

CIMG0693.JPG

CIMG0695.JPG

CIMG0696.JPG

Made a lot easier than trying to get my hand back there.

Installed a fuel pressure gage too.
CIMG0686.JPG

Ive been able to put a few miles on Toshi (thats it's secret name) and it has really transformed the truck! I need to fix an Evap code and tie up some loose ends before going to see the smog nazis, then I'll be able to get some real miles on it and report on mileage, fun factor, and anything else that happens along the journey. :cheers:

Awesome, glad you got the transmission working as it should!

I like those pliers for the speedo. That connector is a b!#ch to get to if you can't pull the gauges out far enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom