Drive Line Dilemma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I could really use some constructive input to help me make a decision on my next move with my "Driver Pig".

Background on truck:

Purchased about a year ago, it is registered as a 1978 FJ55, however the body is mostly a 1974 with some 69 and 71 parts. Bit of a frankencruiser, but I'm ok with that. However, none of that matters, because the drivetrain and frame are 1978 (2F and 4 Speed), and that is where my dilemma is.

Current Situation:

Truck leaks like the Exxon Valdez and burns the oil just as fast. Frustrating, even though I don't have to worry about undercoating. Other issue is that the truck is stuck in 2wd and will not engage into 4H or 4L.

IMG_0457.jpg

Parts I have to play with:

So I have another complete 2F, 4 Speed and Transfer case -

IMG_0453.jpg

This setup is rumoured to have about 60,000 KM, so should be a good swap.

Here is where things get complicated, I have an 1987 HJ60 donor that I would like to steel the 5 speed transmission out of (quieter and better fuel economy). It comes with a split transfer case.

CIMG0640.jpg

CIMG0634.jpg

I would like to at least swap in the transmission.

So dilemma ONE - Parking brake, I would lose the drive shaft parking brake. So my options are:

1) Install split case and have no parking brake. Don't want that.
2) Keep 1978 transfer case. I'm ok with this option if there is no fitment issue.
3) Install split case and modify an aftermarket hot rod disk pinion mount (altered to fit) parking break like this one:
Parking%20Brake%20Setup.jpg

4) Install HJ60 axles, but that is a lot of work. And I wouldn't be able to use the lift springs I have ready to go into the truck (FJ55 3 1/2" lift springs).

What ever route I choose, I think a modification to the drive shafts will be required, but I'm OK with that.

So what do you all think?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I didn't find putting 60 axles under my '69/'70 pig that bad. It is currently sitting on the stock 55 springs with new spring perches on the rear axle to match the frame rail spacing, and out-boarded spring and shackle mounts for the front axle. There are some pics in my thread in the oil country clubhouse section if you want to see.

If you just swapped the rear axle and used wheel spacers up front to match, it would be really easy.

70 rear axle with perches moved, or narrowed 60 axle.

Both are available, both bolt in solutions, as far as the axle/ebrake is concerned, if you know the right folks to call.

You'll have to fabricate a cross member, order custom ebrake cable, need the 60 pattern drive shaft flanges at the TC, modify the H55 shifter, and patch holes in the cover.

I didn't find putting 60 axles under my '69/'70 pig that bad.

Wish I had listened to reason and opted this path, with 60 PS, too.

Last edited:
you're going to need to address the ebrake issue if you want that 5 speed...the early tcase will not mate to the H55...so you'll need the splitcase, too. and that means you'll need the correct bellhousing (I think the H42 BH can be ground out to fit...) you will need a trans cross member, and either a late 40 series rear axle, or a 70 series rear axle, or a 60 series rear axle and some 1.5" spacers up front to match the wider 60 series rear track, or custom narrow an fzj80 rear locking axle with disk brake and integrated ebrakes(what I did). And since Delancy didn't take my advice on his axles, maybe you'll take his;)

the splitcase alone was worth the rear axle debackle IMO....then the bennies of an updated axle with lockers and disks...biggest question I have, is why not relocate the diesel, too? heck, just relocate the pig body to the hj60 chassis...

Thank you for the great responses. Forgot about just putting the 60 rear axle in, I have spacers for the front already. Would actually like to change both axles, as I'm worried about gear ratios, I don't know what is in any of my axles.

My goal was to get the 5-speed and split case into the truck AND be able to use the lift springs that I have.

Stock FJ55 length springs:
Leaf%20Springs%2001.jpg

Eventually, I would like to change the front axle right now, but I'm trying to keep the rabbit hole as small as possible.

As for the diesel, well that HJ60 frame is a complete right off due to frame rust. The original intent was to swap it into my 71 FJ55 as it would be a nice upgrade to the 1F. It's not enough of a gain on the 2F to be bothered with the fuel system change and the 24 volt system change. The 2F performs a little better.

CIMG0624.jpg

As for the power steering, yup, that has to go in too. Especially seeing as I want to upgrade to 35" tires AND I TORE MY LEFT SHOULDER ROTATOR CUFF driving the truck with the dinky little 30" tires just a few weeks ago.

So I guess the question now is, do I swap both axles right away and put the leaf spring of my choice (maybe Tahoe springs which seem so popular) on right away. Then opens up the can of worms of doing spring over axle.

FYI, I also have 1982 BJ60 axles to select from.
CIMG0800.jpg

I'm going to be stripping both 60 series trucks in the next couple of weeks and seeing which axles will work best.

All this started with a stupid leaky motor!!!!

And a bad transfer case.

And, and, and, and suddenly my truck is off the road for the summer!

Thanks for the input folks.

My extended two cents, considering H55/BF1A:

If PS is a must, relocate front and rear spring perches on 60 axles, run 60 front steering and 60 PS gearbox, keep your 55 springs and throw the spacers in the trash.

If you want to maintain Pig width (which is a mistake if "building" a Pig, in my experience and opinion) run 70 rear with relocated perches, mini truck box with pedestal, and call it a day.

Dually noted Delancy.

Not worried about the axle width. As it is, I'm worried the 35 x 12.5 tires are going to have issues when turning. So the wider the axle, and inevitably more stable, the better.

Now to find where best to get the new axle spring perches. Time to google this forum for suppliers and how to's. I think the thing that scares me the most is the talk of the cut and turn procedure. If I stay spring under, will it be required?

Anyway, I think I will be starting with cleaning the new 2F, extracting the H55F/BF1A and then inspecting them. The transmission has 450,000 km on it, so I'm going to kindly ask some of the other RMLCA folks for their evaluations of whether it needs a rebuild or not. I suspect it does.

Once the motor and tranny are cleaned, I'll assemble out of the vehicle.

Then I can tear in to the axles I have and see which are best, as I also have a few spare 3rd members.

So many parts, such little talent!

Thanks again.

John

Quick question on the 60 axle perches. Can I bolt my 55 series 3 1/2" lift springs directly to the existing 60 series axles (keeping everything undermount). Then install new (outcropped on the front) frame mounts? Will the back axle just bolt straight in?

The back spring hangers will have to outcropped also. That's what I did, but using OME springs for a 60

But the springs themselves bolt directly to the 60 series axles?

I'm probably going to extract the 87 HJ60 from the back yard tomorrow. Pull the body, pull the motor and tranny and attempt to get he axles out.

With all this I'm just now wondering which springs to use. I already have the 55 3 1/2" lift springs, but I've been told that 60 series or tahoe springs are a better option. Should I just use what I have?

Without measuring, I couldn't tell you if the springs are the same width. If they are, then they will bolt up. No need for new perches, if staying spring under axle. I'd try to make your springs work first.

The 60 axles are roughly 3 inches wider than 55s, that's why you have to outboard all the hangers.

Hope all of that helps.

the springs will bolt up, but the passenger side spring pad on the 60 axle is going to fun a fun job. doable, no worries, just gunna hafta do it, is all. but yes, you can use the fj55 springs. that being said, 60 series springs are going to be available for a while, the fj55 springs are all going to be custom- or swapped in from another rig; ala fj60...with the amount of work to do with the outboarding, you might think hard now about which springs you'll want to use goinjg forward and do what it takes toi make that happen to the hangers while you're moving them out(read, move hangers fore-aft to accomodate odd vehicle springs...HTH

Go 60 axles. I'm in the middle of this swap now. Back is easy, just cut the spring perches off the axel and move them in to match the 55 spacing and bolt up. On the front I decided to outboard the hangers on the frame to match the 60 spacing. First I did not want to cut into the pumpkin to move the perches in on the axle and second I thought wider spring spacing would be more stable. Check out my build thread for pictures "finally found a pig!"

It was a no brainier for me because I'm gaining disc brakes power steering and higher gear ratios for highway cruising.

If I am being honest, with all the work I'm doing, I should have just found an 80 and put coils under the pig. Lockers!

Good luck!

Well got the HJ60 separated. And now I'm concerned that the transfer case isn't what I thought. It doesn't have 4H. What's up with that?

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1431135701.593564.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1431135762.870451.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1431135773.426081.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1431135789.767580.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1431135805.922994.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1431135718.815390.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1431135731.621805.jpg

The front drive engagement in high range is vacuum actuated via a dash switch. When the transfer is placed in low range, the electric/vacuum process is automatically activated.

vacuum split case is soooo much cooler. my 62 has one behind the 4 speed...if you rebuild it, check to see if the output gears are bearing or bushing supported before odering the kit

There are a pair of vacuum switching valves on the firewall that are part of the system. They are what the switch controls. I always liked this set up on my 62, great for patchy icy / snowy / muddy conditions on road where I switch back and forth between 2wd and 4wd. The vacuum switching valves are known to fail though, so many people prefer the simplicity and reliability of manual shift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom