Builds Moonshine - A Build Thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks sweet

Ride out to the beach was super smooth with the new shocks and caster shims! Made it to this point in roughly 4 hours, so not too bad.

20150501_171810.jpg

We rolled up to the beach and found this guy not 15 feet from the entrance. First up was Brian (black 80), then I got a shot.

20150501_174906.jpg

I hitched up to the tundra, gave it a good pull and when she dug down to get traction, the tundra popped up. At the same time, moonshine made a popping noise, apparently only audible from the cab, and there was no more forward or rearward propulsion. Motor still ran, but driveshafts weren't spinning, so instead of ruining the weekend, we instead elected to tow me up to the house. Huge thank you to @GarnerFJ40 and @erymer for towing me :D

Further up the beach we had to go down to one truck because it got narrow, and that's when the towing got interesting. After getting up over a steep hill, we bombed down the beach so as to not get bogged down again and moonshine was pelted with sand, so much so that the windshield wipers stopped working. I radioed to Brian "Uh, Brian, we've got to stop because I can't see anything". His response (more or less) "I can't stop because we probably won't get going again". The only logical conclusion was to do it ace venture style, and although painful, it worked well and we made it to the house.

This is when Gabe's video happened:

This is what my poor girl looked like afterwards (I had just wiped the driver's side of the windshield):

20150501_193715.jpg

Saturday was a blur and totally amazing. We ate, we drank, we lounged in the pool and watched a new ford burn on the beach, then found some wild horses. It was quite the day:

20150502_195137.jpg

Sunday was pack up and leave day. @erymer and his family stayed with Laura and I as we waited for the tow truck to get there, despite having a 6+ hour drive home. I love you guys, thank you.

20150503_104924.jpg

20150503_104942.jpg

Got dropped off almost exactly 200 miles from that lot and then @mtweller and @ontherxs helped load moonshine onto Ramon's trailer, who brought me the rest of the way home for free, instead of for $3 a mile.

This week I'll pull the transfer case out and see what I broke, then contemplate enrolling in driving school, or maybe common sense school, so I'm not ripping on my truck so hard.

Wow. Good attitude though. Time for Atlas?

Don't I remember you got towed home once before? Time for a big truck and a trailer.

Looks like you guys took over that gas station like a biker gang. No one else around.

House on the beach looks like a fun time. Hope Moonshine's fix is easily replaceable.

This is the third time that I've had to have Moonshine towed home. First was multiple birfs and a rear axle shaft, then too many flat tires, then this. A tow rig and trailer is in the works, but even if I had one, I'm not sure I would have used it for this beach trip.

It may be time for an atlas, but I want to see what's busted first. I hope it's the transfer and not the transmission.

Moonshine must have really dug into that sand. Nice pics, tough break. ...Ace Venutra....classic...Good news is you had a good group of folks to work through it all.

Sorry to hear that. At least you had fun in the process or at least a good story to tell. Maybe the 4WD shift collar thingy broke? Hopefully something simple.

Broke the input shaft I bet.

Gotta love pullin people out of stucks eh?

D

Maybe the 4WD shift collar thingy broke?

If I had broken the front output shift collar or shaft, I should still have been able to drive in RWD.

Broke the input shaft I bet.

That's my guess as well. When you broke your crawl box a few years ago (first time we met) what component actually failed?

Gotta love pullin people out of stucks eh?

This is the last time I pull someone out with a regular snatch strap when they're that stuck. I over-estimated Moonshine's pulling ability.

bubba rope

If I had broken the front output shift collar or shaft, I should still have been able to drive in RWD.

That's my guess as well. When you broke your crawl box a few years ago (first time we met) what component actually failed?

This is the last time I pull someone out with a regular snatch strap when they're that stuck. I over-estimated Moonshine's pulling ability.
The input shaft/gear.

good luck with getting it fixed..... it really bites when you get a good ways from home and #$%# happens.

I hope it's something simple to fix. But it would be disappointing to know the NV4500 transmission could not take trying to pull someone out of the sand. I thought these things were built to tow really heavy loads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom