Spiral cable fail (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone else had their spiral cable fail? My '08 started having sporadic issues with the cruise control, wouldn't come on, wouldn't turn off with the switch, wouldn't resume to previous speed, etc. and finally the airbag light lit up on the dash. Of course it stayed on through numerous restarts but wouldn't come on at the dealer, when we finally got it to light up the scanner indicated a spiral cable fail. $600+ later and my cruise is working perfectly and now I know what a spiral cable is.

I have had it on my 95 Range Rover. Bought one on eBay for $90 and installed in the garage. The failure was actually caused by the shop incorrectly installing steering gear.

I thought Toyotas never break ;) and $600, outch!

There were major recalls on this item. Just do a GOOGLE search on "Toyota spiral cable recall". Unfortunately, the Land Cruiser is not listed as an affected vehicle but these components are shared up the wazoo and your described symptoms point exactly to that which is described in the recall. I know you've already paid out $$$ but it is worth it to talk to Toyota customer service and raise the issue as an owner of its top-line product. If this was a wear-n-tear issue I understand but this was a defective part to begin with which is why it failed. I think a shared good-will (at the least) should be in order. Give them (and the dealer) a call and see what they can do. G'Luck .. I guess $hit happens to even such well built units.

Yeah, it is slightly complicated in that they don't sell Cruisers in Canada. I as told by the dealer to see if Toyota Canada would take on the bill so I guess I'll give it a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom