The Vegtable Garden Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Heirloom grape tomatoes? Never seen any that color.

The dark ones are indigo rose. The red ones are Juliet. Both are relatively new varieties.

^i think you nailed it. Two peppers on the end and the same mint that I'm not trying to grow. Rest is a mystery to me.

Got some tomatos going. Not sure what else. My daughter did a seed dumb a couple weeks ago and all sorts of stuff sprouting.View attachment 1072423

Surprise WTF is this? I have a mater that was a seed dump from one I bought. It appears to be a grape or a Roma. Won't know for a couple of weeks.

The best way to do it is to dump seeds from your harvest. They're often cross pollinated and you get something unique.

I've started pulling some of the underdeveloped garlic. I can already tell it's going to get out of hand. The seed garlic I used had enormous cloves. Even the little ones have decent bulbs. I have a bunch of monsters I haven't touched yet.

I've discovered a new treat. If you strip the outer layers off the stem, the inner core of the stem is fantastic sauteed.

image.jpg
We'll sauté a few scapes tonight. Or just chop 'em up into a salad. They can also make an interesting flower arrangement.

Last edited:
What are those curly things. Look like seed bolts of garlic that were hit with a phenoxy type of herbicide. 2,4-D

Costco had 1gal Tomatoes three for $10. They looked better than the crap at the Home stores, where they charge $15 for one 1gal plant.

Costco had 1gal Tomatoes three for $10. They looked better than the crap at the Home stores, where they charge $15 for one 1gal plant.

Damn, the stuff is pricy up there.

What are those curly things. Look like seed bolts of garlic that were hit with a phenoxy type of herbicide. 2,4-D

He's been playing with his food.

Got a bunch of planting done today after I replaced the clutch master and slave on the FJ40.
I noticed some of the green beans are starting to break ground, odd considering how cool the nights have been.
We had a few taters sprouting in the pantry so I buried them in the tater patch, we'll see how that works out.
Planted basil (seed) and garlic around the tomato plants we got at Costco yesterday.
Planted some cilantro and peas in another bed.
Ran out of steam to get beets and carrots planted, might get that done on night this week after work.

The Grand daughters garden is ready to plant but I want her to help with that.

Rusty, that reminds me of the first garden I set up at my current house. My boys were about kinder garden/preschool age and had my niece about the same age. Got them all set up with transplants, seeds, and a flat of marigolds. and turned them loose. It was magic in da mud. Kids planted everything and watered. The best part was the mud angels they made, priceless. Finished up with hot dogs on the Q, and hosed them all down in the yard. Where does all the time go?

Other than volunteers, I've never had good luck growing basil from seed. Basil likes heat, you might want to start them in a warm place inside and transplant when it warms up.

Even in the lower desert, I usually won't start basil seedlings until at least late April. I've never had good luck with them when the nights are still chilly. When the temperature hits triple digits, they grow like weeds

Other than volunteers, I've never had good luck growing basil from seed. Basil likes heat, you might want to start them in a warm place inside and transplant when it warms up.

Even in the lower desert, I usually won't start basil seedlings until at least late April. I've never had good luck with them when the nights are still chilly. When the temperature hits triple digits, they grow like weeds
I use to use basil seedlings, but the past 3 or for years I've just sowed them right into the soil. They germinate when they germinate, seems to be working fine for me. About the only thing I absolutely have to start from plants is tomatoes, the bigger the better.

Finally getting some action in the garden
Long view
20150516_113826_zpsufaashzd.jpg

Grand Daughters raised bed
20150516_113900_zpspasbmzbu.jpg

Green beans popping up
20150516_113844_zpstibjfqvh.jpg

Walla Walla Sweet onions
20150516_113924_zpsceunej15.jpg

Italian purple neck garlic
20150516_113926_zpsaupptfxe.jpg

The Tater patch, hops int the flower pot, they grow up the twine on the pergola.
20150516_113905_zpsnvwzoixg.jpg

Maters
20150516_113915_zpscj2xk2g4.jpg

A word on Wall-O-Water, frickinamazingfantastic invention.

I ran out this year and had to leave a couple of tomato plants exposed.
There is no comparison, the plants in the Wall-O-Water are literally twice the size in just one week. I would have taken pictures but it's been raining all afternoon.

We finally found more today and bought six, I think we will go back and get some more tomorrow for next year.

Before it started raining I managed to get the rest of the seed crops sown, carrots and beets. I'm also going to try cucumbers on the fence, hate to waste that vertical space.

A word on Wall-O-Water, frickinamazingfantastic invention.

I ran out this year and had to leave a couple of tomato plants exposed.
There is no comparison, the plants in the Wall-O-Water are literally twice the size in just one week. I would have taken pictures but it's been raining all afternoon.

We finally found more today and bought six, I think we will go back and get some more tomorrow for next year.

Before it started raining I managed to get the rest of the seed crops sown, carrots and beets. I'm also going to try cucumbers on the fence, hate to waste that vertical space.

Wall o Water? Not familiar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom