What Hitch Moint Bike Rack Are You Using? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bought a Sports Rack on Amazon, 3 years ago for about $130 and I've been real happy with it. (Its a "hitch rack".) Two reasons come to mind of why I like it so much. First, it sits close to the ground so you don't have to lift your bike a great deal off the ground. (I know that's not a big deal for you young guys but ladies will love that aspect) It still offers good ground clearance. Two, It carries 2 bikes and keeps them from rubbing or scratching against each other. Each bike fits into its own hoops and stays very stable while under way. I've made three trips from Michigan to Florida and back in the past 3 years
IMG_1704.JPG
with no issues. The main mast will fold down and away to offer access to the rear of the vehicle. The only complaint is that the unit does not offer any way to lock the bikes to the rack. Outside of that, Its been a great piece of equipment.

Saris fold down similar to this. Works well, can open the tailgate with the rack fully up. Very stable once you tighten the bolt style hitch pin.

B000BT4FCY_400.jpg

Saris Freedom Superclamp 4-Bike
66949492_606147_full.jpg

Saris on the back of my 02 Chevy Blazer (mounts to the outside spare-yeah I know not what you were asking).
Swagman G2 for the hitch on my 14 Grand Cherokee Summit. (and maybe to use on my 76 CJ5)

I really like the 1UP USA racks. Incredibly clever design, rustproof and no paint contact. The stadium-step design improves clearance. They aren't cheap but they're a buy-once, cry-once type of purchase. I see a rack as a key component to hold a very expensive item in place. Ever priced out a really nice road or mountain bike?

So much like mounts and optics on rifles, I prefer to wince and pay up once instead of trying to get by with make-do.

1UPUSA.com Bicycle Racks

You can look long and hard, and you can definitely spend more money, but you will not find a better product than this.

imageuploadedbyih8mud-forum1443673602-273595-jpg.1141052

(not my truck)

There are some stronger off road solutions out there if you want to incorporate it into you rear bumper, etc but for hitch racks, you cant beat the 1up.

You can look long and hard, and you can definitely spend more money, but you will not find a better product than this.

imageuploadedbyih8mud-forum1443673602-273595-jpg.1141052

(not my truck)

There are some stronger off road solutions out there if you want to incorporate it into you rear bumper, etc but for hitch racks, you cant beat the 1up.
I'm definitely going with the 1up. I saw cheap rack destruction first hand, my buddy's rack sheared off where the vertical part goes up from the receiver part - at 75mph on I 96 with my Giant and his Salsa on it. Those babies got some serious air on the bounce! The car behind us ran over the Salsa destroying it. Mine came out relatively o.k. but scratched to hell. Luckily there was a sheriff about 3 cars back and he hit the lights and got people safely around the mess. I don't remember the brand of that rack but it had been in use on a lot of trips. I know I want one with some quality, more than the protection of the bike is at stake, as someone could have been hurt in that one. Luckily just our bikes got it.

I've been meaning to post to this thread for a while. I won this Kuat rack from an eBay promo. Now, years later, I sent some pics of a broken ratchet arm to see how I could buy the minimum parts. They sent me two complete ratchet arm assemblies, basically 2x the maximum parts, for free and quickly, no questions asked. I am 100% sold on the quality and especially their service commitment!

Küat Racks

Note the built-in cable lock and work stand!

20160131_164656_twoBikes.jpg
20160131_164719_foldedDown.jpg
20160131_164948_workStand.jpg
20160131_165102_cableLock.jpg

Küat Racks

Last edited:
1UP here! Solid chunk of aluminum!
2015-07-24 18.23.48.jpg

I'm digging the 1up rack! My only issue that i can see coming is the spare tire swing out on my 80. I think this will interfere with having two bikes... perhaps i could use the ouster platform and carry one bike with the 80.... but on the 200 it look like it would be the trick.

I'm digging the 1up rack! My only issue that i can see coming is the spare tire swing out on my 80. I think this will interfere with having two bikes... perhaps i could use the ouster platform and carry one bike with the 80.... but on the 200 it look like it would be the trick.

Check this product out, I just picked on up as it offers a solution for clearing my rear mounted spare on the 80, and the side swing rear door on the wife's GX470 so that you can access the cargo area without removing whatever you've got in the receiver. I've yet to pick up a bike rack though...

http://rakattach.com/

Check this product out, I just picked on up as it offers a solution for clearing my rear mounted spare on the 80, and the side swing rear door on the wife's GX470 so that you can access the cargo area without removing whatever you've got in the receiver. I've yet to pick up a bike rack though...

http://rakattach.com/

I think that may be what I'll need for my 70 with barn doors.

Their site has no pricing and no specs for how much weight they'll carry. Do you have that info? I have a Thule, tray-style, with the extension to haul four bikes and it's a heavy mo-fo when fully loaded.

I had a swing out made with a hitch mount added to the 4x4 Labs bumper by BenderRodriguez, incredible work.

Requirements:
1. Safety (not going to fly off)
2. Sturdy (no bouncy bounce offroad)
3. Spare tire (closer to drivers side for visibility)
4. Removable (I want the spare tire swing out to be easily removed)
5. 2" Bicycle hitch for Kuat NV
6. Gas cans (two Rotopax)
7. Under $1,000.00

He met all of those and I think killed it.
IMG_5877.JPG
IMG_5878.JPG
IMG_5881.JPG
IMG_5868.JPG
IMG_5884 (1).JPG

I've been meaning to post to this thread for a while. I won this Kuat rack from an eBay promo. Now, years later, I sent some pics of a broken ratchet arm to see how I could buy the minimum parts. They sent me two complete ratchet arm assemblies, basically 2x the maximum parts, for free and quickly, no questions asked. I am 100% sold on the quality and especially their service commitment!

Küat Racks

View attachment 1214447 View attachment 1214448 View attachment 1214449 View attachment 1214450

Küat Racks
Fast Eddy, I'm interested to know about you 40's cover. What material are they and do you some more pictures on it. Thanks.

Küat Racks

View attachment 1214447 View attachment 1214448 View attachment 1214449 View attachment 1214450

Küat Racks
Love the rigid SS!

I also have a 1UpUSA rack, the heavy duty version, which by default stores two bikes. We purchased two heavy duty 1Up extenders so that it can accommodate 4 bikes total. I've tried other bike racks, and they are nowhere near the quality of the 1Up rack. Getting the bikes on and off the rack is a breeze, and the design lends itself well to odd mountain bike frame shapes and kids bikes, since you lock the bikes down by the tires. They're also very adjustable for different tire sizes (we have kids bikes at 16" and mountain bikes at 26").

With all 4 bikes on it rides solid! It's very strong.

The 1Up rack is mounted to a 2017 Land Cruiser. When only using the 2 bike configuration (no extenders), when in the up position I can still open the top rear hatch, and when the rack is in the down position I can fold down the LC tailgate. The clearance is about 1/2 inch, so I don't think you would want the kids jumping up and down on the tailgate, as it might flex and hit the rack, but for getting things in and out of the back of the LC it's perfect.

For anything off pavement (e.g. logging roads with washboard) you'll really want the 1UpUSA!

Yes, the whole setup was $1000, but I'm pretty sure it will be the last rack we ever purchase.

Thanks JWill... The off roading piece is key for me, as I sometimes go up rough dirt roads (class I-III). Do you think the Kuat NV can handle it?

My reply from another bike rack question:
Küat.

26 years in the bike industry, and I have yet to find a better rack than the Küat! We ran a V1 Küat NV on the WD40BIKE rig, and did everything they say not to do to the rack... for 3 solid years!... and it kept on trucking! One of the guys had it on his truck, hit some ice and slid off Boulder Canyon Rd, between Boulder & Nederland, and the only thing they could get a tow line on was the rack. Hauled the truck 50' back up to the road, and barely scuffed the paint! True story!!

It's a solid product, and a great company to deal with. Get one. It's money well spent! I'm currently running the NV 2.0, and could not be happier!

And, for what it's worth, I rep for Saris Racks but I use a Küat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom