Warn xd9000i; need help diagnosing motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
You forum folks are like a collective motor genius, so I have come to you.

I may just have a bad motor, and maybe I should just replace it... but, before I do, I at least want to exhaust my abilities at repair. Thanks for any help.

Warn xd9000i, about ten years old

Symptoms (over its life):
1 Worked fine
2 Started occasionally not working
3 Stopped working
4 Shook it and connections and it spun a little
5 Stopped working again
6 Got to where it would just click upon engaging
7 Tried the direct power method (A-F1; A-F2; etc.) and it would still just click; then, once it spun, then it stopped sparking spinning or clicking altogether

I pulled the motor off (assuming that's the thing on the left), and it won't click, spark, or anything now.

I have heard mention of "coils" and "brushes." Is there something else I can do in this motor to possibly replace something to get it maybe running again? It seems to me that I can't make it not work any more than it's already not working.

My guess? Your brushes are really worn down and not making contact with the commutator well. The commutator on the armature probably has some damaged spots on it now and depending on the position of the armature relative to the four brushes it is not making proper contact when you engage the solenoids.

Pull the motor bolts and wiggle the end cap off of the motor. It will be hard to see how worn the brushes are from there but you can probably see into the armature a little bit to see if the copper slats are in good condition. If you pull the motor off the winch you can pull the armature straight out of the motor can and then with the cap off inspect the brushes. They are carbon pieces with a curved end that make contact with the commutator. They could simply be stuck from getting gunked up over time from carbon dust or mud/dirt. When it comes time to re-assemble, you will need to push the brushes back up the housing and "pin" them in place with a stiff piece of wire or a piece of a large paper clip. They are spring loaded and you have to push all four of them back to slide the armature back into place.

The brushes and/or motor cap parts are not sold by Warn but I have heard of folks getting them replaced at local electric motor shops. Hopefully if they are worn too much the armature is not pitted from irregular contact from the brushes. I have a buddy that is in this predicament right now with an M8000 motor, he has not decided what to do with it yet.

Whatever you do, do not by a cheap replacement motor off ebay or Amazon for $100 (DB Electrical is one of those brands). They are poorly made and do not last.

Thank you, onlyonedr. I'll give that a shot, but I'm guessing, without someone directly advising me, it's going to be too much for me to fix by myself. Do you think I should send it to an electric motor shop for repair, or just buy a quality replacement? I hate replacing when repairing is an option.

I may post some pictures of what I find to see if y'all have any more ideas.

My guess? Your brushes are really worn down and not making contact with the commutator well. The commutator on the armature probably has some damaged spots on it now and depending on the position of the armature relative to the four brushes it is not making proper contact when you engage the solenoids.

Pull the motor bolts and wiggle the end cap off of the motor. It will be hard to see how worn the brushes are from there but you can probably see into the armature a little bit to see if the copper slats are in good condition. If you pull the motor off the winch you can pull the armature straight out of the motor can and then with the cap off inspect the brushes. They are carbon pieces with a curved end that make contact with the commutator. They could simply be stuck from getting gunked up over time from carbon dust or mud/dirt. When it comes time to re-assemble, you will need to push the brushes back up the housing and "pin" them in place with a stiff piece of wire or a piece of a large paper clip. They are spring loaded and you have to push all four of them back to slide the armature back into place.

The brushes and/or motor cap parts are not sold by Warn but I have heard of folks getting them replaced at local electric motor shops. Hopefully if they are worn too much the armature is not pitted from irregular contact from the brushes. I have a buddy that is in this predicament right now with an M8000 motor, he has not decided what to do with it yet.

Whatever you do, do not by a cheap replacement motor off ebay or Amazon for $100 (DB Electrical is one of those brands). They are poorly made and do not last.

Thank you, onlyonedr. I'll give that a shot, but I'm guessing, without someone directly advising me, it's going to be too much for me to fix by myself. Do you think I should send it to an electric motor shop for repair, or just buy a quality replacement? I hate replacing when repairing is an option.

I may post some pictures of what I find to see if y'all have any more ideas.

Read up on this page, it is for your winch and motor: http://www.wanderingtrail.com/Repairs_Rebuilds/warn_winch/warnwinch.html

I would just check with a shop local to you. There is nothing special about the construction of winch motors. If you shipped it somewhere it will cost quite a bit more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom