Inexpensive Windows 8.1 (Full) Tablet as a GPS System (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
Previously I used an iPAD and Ram Mount in my truck as a GPS. I sold the iPAD and bought a Surface Pro 3. I really like the Surface Pro 3 for use on the road while traveling for work. Finding a way to power it and mounting it in the rig to use as a GPS would have been expensive and the mounts don't look that stable to me. Plus the surface isn't a cheap device.

I found the following windows 8 tablet at Microcenter (Their brand) Reviews are great and it is only $100. They have a 7" version for $69, but that doesn't have enough memory to do anything.

I added a 64gB Micro card to store all my GPS maps, music and videos

I installed my PC based Topo USA 8, Streets USA 10 and Memory Map Topo software. All three loaded fine and work just as they did when I use to have a laptop for a GPS. In fact all the SW I installed I am using on my desktop installed with no problem

For $100 a full featured Windows Tablet is a great deal. The nice thing about this compared to my wifes more expensive Dell Venue Pro 8 is that is has a full sized USB and a micro USB and the same specs otherwise as the Dell.

It comes with a subscription to office 365 for a PC and a Tablet for 1 year

With both the Micro USB (for power) and the full sized 2.0 USB port I can have it plugged in for power and the USB GPS receiver plugged in at the same time, or you could use an extra Memory stick for more memory. Most Tablets only have one port meaning you have to choose between charging or plugging in your USB device.

The Tablet
http://www.microcenter.com/product/440932/TW802_Tablet_-_Black

The RAM Mount I am using in both the 40 and 100 series
http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-TAB4U works on 8" tablet and in picture below

The Mount
http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-101U-C

the USB GPS
http://www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-BU-353-S4-USB-Receiver-Black/dp/B008200LHW

Its not as powerful as my Surface Pro3, but more portable and if it breaks at $100 its not as a big an issue. So far it has been running very well and is a full featured windows 8 mini PC
tablet.jpg

Cool set up. Any chance you have a picture of it mounted in your rig so we can see a size comparison?

Sorry for the delay. Wanted to finish the mount in my 40. I added a RAM Mount ball in the Choke hole (I have EFI). So I use the same ARM and RAM Mount cradle in both rigs
DSC00069.jpg
DSC00071.jpg

DSC00066.jpg

DSC00070.jpg

DSC00065.jpg

Cool, I used to run Microsofts Streets and Trips on a netbook. I eventually accidently left it running hidden under a sweater. Overheated and died.
This looks like a good replacement.

I went ahead and bought one of those tablets. It's a little more now at micro center but not bad. I've been playing around with it to get used to the tablet interface of Windows. I plan to likely use the same ram mount to hold it but may mount the ball elsewhere. I've been trying (to no avail) to get it to interface with either my Garmin handheld GPS or the iphone for GPS data, but it looks like nothing is working so I'll have to get that GPS puck. It's prob a more reliable way anyway. I haven't used it in a while, but I'm certain I have a copy of Topo USA kicking around somewhere. I'm sure it's still packed up somewhere from my move last year. Have you tried it out for actual backcountry navigation yet? How did it work out?

I will be using it in Moab later this month. I used the SW when I carried a laptop several years ago on a ram mount and it worked fine. Wouldn't expect any differences

Would like to find a more modern Windows SW package though. haven't used Topo 10 to see if it is better, I have 8

Did you have any trouble getting the tablet to recognize the GPS puck? I seem to be having a fair amount of trouble.

Its configuring it with the right com port. I think mine was Com3 but not sure. Even though its USB, I had to do that

There may be something on the manf site to setup and check connectivity. I am at work or I would tell you what I have.

It has been completely reliable once I initially configured it

Hmm, guess I need to do a little more digging.

I have one of the smaller ones of this tablet....will all run ham radio deluxe on it as well as SDR#...impressive lil feller for the money....I may get the 10" one and replace my iPad in the truck for nav

What is SDR# ?

Software defined radio.
It's a usb plug in device that allows the Pc to behave like a radio. Has capabilities beyond typical scanners

Dirt cheap too

Oh sounds cool...and fun. Have a link to any that you recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom