The Ultimate BBQ Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Teddy How long did you go, and at what temp? I know you were going for quantity, but I'm curious if the cook time was lengthened significantly by having to pack them so close together.
It was a 13 hour smoke. I don't mess with my smoker or fuss over temps too much. Usually runs up and down between 190-200.

It doesn't really affect anything packing them in there like that. May add an hour total. Turned out really good though. I usually use the big towable for this much, but I don't like how it cooks as much.

I didn't get any final pics because I was busy and kind of forgot about it.

don't turn them over from time to time?

Edit: lately I've been skipping words like crazy. Missing a "you" up there.

Last edited:
I like a little bark on all sides.
I've never noticed anything bad with the meat having it turned over so many times over the course of about 6 hours. I usually cook tri-tip and ribs on the smoker. There's no need for more time than that in my case.

What are you cooking on?

Yeah, the bullet smokers are funny with how they cook. You'll see what I mean once you play around with a high end/modified cooker.

...that's not to sound arrogant, the bullet smokers just aren't very efficient or consistent. For $200-$300 you can buy a nice cooker with cast iron internals and heavy gauge steel externals.

My dad has a better one from Cabela's I think. The electric, vertical one, no heat.
Mine puts out some heat too. It needs constant attention to keep the heat down and create smoke. I soak a bunch of wood chips 30-60 min then throw in a fistful at the time.
I always wanted a proper smoker, but I don't use it more than 2-3 tome a year. It's so much easier and faster to turn on the gas grill and have dinner.
I found one made in Ca that I like, just never had the impulse to splurge I want, not need.
http://modesto.craigslist.org/hsd/4919787965.html

Smoked a nice butt yesterday with a homemade rub. The real exclamation point was @elkaholic 's vinegar sauce! Was ridiculous. I think I will do another next weekend.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Also smoked some sausages and Brussel sprouts. The sprouts came out better than usual, but I'm still trying to perfect the cook time... No pictures of those, wife was hungry and I forgot.

Jeremy, is that your kitchen counter top? I love it! All butcher block?

Jeremy, is that your kitchen counter top? I love it! All butcher block?
Yep! The whole kitchen is butcher block. The PO didn't take care of it, though, so some areas are very rough... We will be pulling it out and putting down granite sometime next year. :confused:

They do need constant attentions. Try to keep the temperature constant, have enough smoke (one handful of soaked wood chips every so often), add coals, get rid of the ash, open another bottle of beer so you can wash away all the inhaled smoke, etc.
But, like I said, I only do it maybe twice a year. So it can't be all that bad.
Most of the time I use the gas grill, can't beat the speed. I rarely have the luxury of taking my time and enjoying a nice bbq.

That's why I like the drum so much. Get it setup and it runs about 8-9 hours without touching it at the temp I cook at. Curbed the brinkmann and my gasser and got a charcoal pit. But yes, it takes time now to cook outdoors, but it's worth it. I'm not a big steak fan and all I was cooking was sausages and chicken on the gas grill anyway, which I can do pretty well in the cast iron.

Sending it all to the beach with the inlaws tomorrow. 830am to 630pm. The little one came off an hour earlier.

I didn't use any wood chunks this time. Bought a bag of natural lump hickory and wanted to see how that turned out. I'll know when I dig into a piece a little later.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1431732302.613261.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

Success! Not enough smoke for me, but it has a ring and they'll love it. I used a new rub recipe and that worked very well.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1431733595.062425.jpg

EDIT: Best bark I've ever gotten. Trying to go back in my mind and remember exactly what I did and how different these butts might have been from others to start with.
...via IH8MUD app

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom