'83 grille on a '99 Tacoma... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just a feeler for opinions. I ordered the grille from Rock Auto for about $20, IIRC, several months ago. I just now decided to see what it'd look like.

Thoughts? Reminds me of a Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's just wedged in there for pics. It'd be bedlinered the same black as the bumper will be.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429568449.337957.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429568461.136549.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429568478.769818.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429568488.503643.jpg

The Tacoma's headlights aren't completely vertical and the grille will need to be trimmed in some. It'll lose the thicker outline/support on the edges but should be enough room for a classic Toyota badge. But the two top centermost mounts line up, so that's a bonus. It was so cheap that I'll cut it to see what it'll actually look like flush, but I don't think so as it is. I've also finally got my plate bumper to go on and that'll change the front end some, too. It was this or some sort of billet or mesh grille.

I think its a cool idea, but yea, too much like the grand cherokee. Maybe the older Toyota grill with fewer slots would make it less Jeep-like?

It's the rectangular headlights that kill the retro look you are going for and make it look Jeepish.

True...I was more referring to the round lights that the 83 minis had...I think it'll look good with the correct retro badge. The throw-back grill mods are popular enough that Toyota went beck to "TOYOTA" on the new TRD offerings. Subscribed to see the end result...my 98 Runner could use a cool/cheap mod!

It loos too much like a jeep

Terrible, his too. Cool idea but looks like a Grand, I like the Satoshi better.

True...I was more referring to the round lights that the 83 minis had...I think it'll look good with the correct retro badge. The throw-back grill mods are popular enough that Toyota went beck to "TOYOTA" on the new TRD offerings. Subscribed to see the end result...my 98 Runner could use a cool/cheap mod!

Not exactly. Single round headlamps (6014) 1979-81. Single square headlamps (6052) 1982-83.

Not exactly. Single round headlamps (6014) 1979-81. Single square headlamps (6052) 1982-83.

Ha! If I'm gonna get corrected, I prefer to get corrected by CDan! I'd have sworn my buddies '83 (back in '84) had round eyes...but a quick Google Image search proves that memory false! I always picture the below as an 83...recon it's an 81ish!
image.jpg

That one's a 79 actually.

Sliding rear window and no vent windows. :)

Pretty much nothing body wise. fair on drivetrain.

Well, finally had some time to try out this monstrosity.

From head on its not too bad. I waited too late to break out the hot air gun and wrap the sides back. Originally this grille is totally flat. I screwed up the sides also. I should have notched out the mesh and heated the side to match. Oh well. Ima rock this thing for a week or two and then probably toss it onto the burn pile.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433528891.216626.jpg

From the sides, not so much either.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433528915.164232.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433528928.031136.jpg

Meh, turned out better than I thought. Doesnt look too bad. Are your sliders backwards, or am I seeing things?

It needs the 83 T emblem, I think that will make the difference

It'd look better with one. But I don't want to drop $30 on fleaBay for one and then trash the grille.

I may can carve up another original grille and make one of those Satoshi looking grilles and incorporate the badge. But I'd rather do a TEQ of some kind if I went that route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom