Preparing 100 for Oversand Travel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Buy a real shovel.. Trust me, way better than those stupid military fold up ones.

Thanks bwell. I will start with 20psi. Do you put it in low when on the fine sand? Ever need CDL?

No problem. I never put it in 4 low for sand. I will engage the cdl sometimes, but I don't know that it is neccesary. From my experience, I feel like 4 low would set you up to get stuck easier. Just my thoughts. The only time I've really had a problem was in a 80 series I was driving, literally in the gulf of Aden about 8 years ago and that was a multitude of reasons, cookie cutter tires (not deflated correctly) low tide started to not be so low anymore..... Co pilot made a poor call and lost momentum.... And sunk to the axles.

I just did a bit of driving on the dunes on the oregon coast last year. Air down to 12-13 psi and take it easy at the beginning. Airing up takes forever but less time than getting unstuck. The more tire surface area the better so regular street tires without aggressive tread works well. Have fun and stay around other folks that could pull you out just in case.

Picked up a nice Cobalt Shovel from Lowe's today. Ordered the rest of the goodies from Amazon so will be here Monday. I'm going to start a bit conservatively and only air down to 20 psi and see how it rides. If it feels sluggish, I'll air down to 15psi. Guess having my own pump makes sense. Thanks again for all the feedback.

Start at 15 psi, use low range and try to keep from making any hard turns at speed.

Ah I'm a bit late to respond to this thread - my entire summer (2014) was spent half between a beach and on road. I personally run about 15 PSI for standard sand driving, I've never really had to go lower and I've noticed that the pressure in my tires increases due to heat after a few hours of driving.

For recovery, the tow hooks work perfectly fine - but if you have a hitch receiver, a D-shackle hitch will work really well - I've used them in vehicles that I've recovered with my tow hook, this year I'm planning on using my recently installed hitch for this purpose.

As for your strap an ARB Snatch Strap will work great - I personally am a really big fan of Bubba Rope. They're a bit pricey but mine has served me very well so far.

Beware of that Kobalt shovel and rust - it can and will rust like no other once exposed to salt water - this can be mitigated with rust inhibitor but unfortunately digging sand will cause the inhibitor to be worn off very quickly. My shovel rusted like crazy for the first summer I had it - I haven't had time to soak it in something like Naval Jelly yet to strip the rust.

Here's a tip. If you feel yourself starting to get stuck, the immediate reaction is to gas it. Don't make your tires spin because what will happen is you will quickly find yourself axle deep in sand and it's much more difficult to extracate yourself when you do that. I see this happening all the time here on the beaches of Long Island. People going out there because they have a fishing pass and no experience with sand driving at all.

3D FJ: If you are driving fully inflated/nearly fully inflated spinning tire is a terrible idea, but if you're deflated and below the surface barrier, spinning can actually be helpful to get you back on top of the sand.

3D FJ: If you are driving fully inflated/nearly fully inflated spinning tire is a terrible idea, but if you're deflated and below the surface barrier, spinning can actually be helpful to get you back on top of the sand.

Yes. I stand corrected. Most of the people I've ever seen stuck in sand have never been deflated enough to be able to do this successfully. If they were deflated enough, there's a good chance they wouldn't find themselves stuck to begin with. I guess it brings us back to the take home point of making sure you air down.

Thanks guys for all the tips. Unfortunately, we didn't make it out on the sand this trip. Race Point in P-town was open, but was just too far away to make the annual permit worth it. Nauset Beach in Orleans is much closer, but their permits run May 1 2015 to April 30 2016 so it didn't make sense to drop $200 to have the permit expire next week.

I'll head back down in May and get my annual permit. I'll be using all the advice given - thanks again!

Hello all , I’m trying to get a feel for the outer cape beaches , nauset sandy neck race point etc. just curious if it gets crowded in plover season , drunken yahoos , things like that .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom