XD Rim and tire combo ??? + Hub Centric ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am finding info on some OE wheels showing center bore to be 110mm, the XD rims I am looking at are showing 110.5mm, would that still be considered hub centric?
It's this wheel I am looking at with 35mm offset in an 18x9. Model # XD77889086735
kmc-xd-series-monster-black-main.png

I am told it should push the wheel out 1" from stock position compared with the OE rim's 60mm offset .
Since I am running a 1.25 spacer now with my stock rims on both my LX and LC, not having any real clearance issues.

I don't think I will have any with these XDs and maybe an AT tire in the stock 285/60/18 size.

Tires that I am looking at are these.

Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus
cooper-discoverer-ht-plus-angle-main.png

Or these
Toyo Open Country A/T II
toyo-open-country-at-2-angle-main.png

Or The Terra Grappler G2
TerraGrapplerG2.png

Anyone have any of these tires, and what do think about them?
Same question about these XD Rims, what do you think about the Wheels?

Thanks

My rig came with 285/60/18 and there were no clearance issues. It's a small tire (31.5) in comparison to what you could get away with. If you had a rub happen it'd be on your KDSS arm and that's not going to happen with anyone of those tires in that size with that amount of offset. You're good. Buy them. Post a picture of it. Enjoy the new shoes. Nice tire selection and wheel.

I think Billfish has those wheels wrapped with 33's. And uses his truck kiwi style. Ask for his insight, I'm sure he'd chime in.

I like the XD's but I am not a fan of that center cap.

Thanks guys.

The hub centric part of the question is really something I have to figure out before I can go with a wheel. My experience has been that you almost always pic up a vibration with lug centric wheel. I am finding any hub centric rings for this wheel. It's center bore is off 0.5mm. If i am thinking about this correctly, is if it were exactly 110mm it wouldn't go on over the hub, that 0.5mm is just what it needs to over the hub, and these wheels are hub centric. All I could find were those measurements nothing really spelling out this is a hub centric wheel for a toyota full size truck application, or for 110mm hubs. I have to get that confirmed before I can order a set.

Any thoughts on tires, any of those listed better or worse then the other. I like looks of the Nitto the best, but the reviews show pretty much every owner was surprised at how noisy they are. The cooper were knocked on short tread life but still sounded like a lot more then I have gotten out of these high dollar 20k mile Michelin performance tires the LC/LX come with. You can buy two of those coopers for cost of one of the Toyo.

Any thoughts on tires.

I have the toyo AT2 LT 285/17 and so far love them. Had about 9 months so gone through summer and now winter in CO and been suburb in snow. When initially installed they felt heavy compared to stock 18s. But got used to it after a couple weeks. I keep pressure at 44 psi. Now don't know any different. Maybe 1 gallon difference with tires.

One to look at that I really like is the Cooper ST MAXX. Don't own them, never ran them. I just like the looks and they've received good reviews from my searches on noise and handling.

Any thoughts on tires.

I have the TGs on the 200. Far quieter than the bfg a/ts i have on the 55. Great during our recent ice storms and on snow. Also great on long gravel and washboard. Seem fine on the road dry and wet. I've never run the others you are considering. Only at about 6k so no idea on lengevity or durability but the still look new at this point.

Interesting reading last year

http://expeditionportal.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road/

Ensure you take those ditsy blinged caps off the XD Monsters before you wheel (all those center caps are for looks only and are very flimsy). In fact I dont even bother with them period. NO experience with TG G2s, I have the old style TGs as my daily runners on stock rims which are almost identical to the Toyos (same company makes both). I understand the G2s are a much lighter walled tire with less tread depth than the original TGs. Look a little less aggressive and probably quieter although the originals are also pretty well behaved on the black stuff.

You can probably fit 285/65/18s with +35 offset wheels without significant rubbing but a lift would help. Ditch the spacers however. You put +35s on top of those spacers and you will be changing your wheel bearings next week.

Thanks guys, I ran across this tire today.
The yoko geolander. Any thoughts ?
image.jpg

Also about a year ago I snapped a couple pics of an LC with some cool looking rims and tires. Just found those pics on my phone. It turns out, that it is this XD wheel. Thought I would share theses as well. Tires look a little more aggressive then I am wanting, but like the looks of the wheels on there.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I got to doing some more the math on the 35 offset of these XDs 18x9s. I had originally thought it would poke them out about an inch. I was sort of thinking that was probably not quite enough. But I had forgot that the rim is an inch wider then the oem wheels which are 8" vs the XDs 9" width. I was forgetting to add that extra 1/2 inch. So the offset chage is worth 1" the extra rim width of which half needs added back to the offset change. That's adding an extra 1.5 inches total 3" of track width.

Based on my current 1.25mm spacer stance the XDs are going to be real close to hanging out past the OE fender flares.

Anyone have any pictures of 285/60/18 Yokohoma ATs.

One thing I ran into recently with hub centric vs lug centric.

Depending on the center cap, you might not be able to get a hub centric ring.

I have a set of Method Race wheels on my Jeep and they only come lug centric. Also the cap pushes though from the back and I was told by the manufacturer (Method) that you can't put a centering ring inside of a wheel that has the push through style cap. Or something of that nature. YMMV.
I keep a torque wrench in the Jeep now and check them periodically. Though thinking about it, most of my wheels growing up were lug centric. That is not to say I was trouble free. lol

But I have had few to no problems on any of the hub centric wheels, either OEM or aftermarket that I have put on my vehicles over the past several years.

done plenty of hard off-road miles in my XD rims and never had a problem. Put 'em on right and relax already.

I got to doing some more the math on the 35 offset of these XDs 18x9s. I had originally thought it would poke them out about an inch. I was sort of thinking that was probably not quite enough. But I had forgot that the rim is an inch wider then the oem wheels which are 8" vs the XDs 9" width. I was forgetting to add that extra 1/2 inch. So the offset chage is worth 1" the extra rim width of which half needs added back to the offset change. That's adding an extra 1.5 inches total 3" of track width.

Based on my current 1.25mm spacer stance the XDs are going to be real close to hanging out past the OE fender flares.
Your initial calculation was actually more 'correct'. The proposed wheel is 1" wider but the tire, when mounted, is centered on the wheel... so whether it is an 8" or 9" wheel, the tire will positioned roughly the same (relative to the body). Track width is measured at the centerline of the wheels. Your track width will increase by 2" total. (or reduced by 1/2" total when compared to your 1.25" wheel adapter set-up).

done plenty of hard off-road miles in my XD rims and never had a problem. Put 'em on right and relax already.

I think I have pretty much desided on the XD wheels. My last question was directed at Yokohama Geolander ATs tires. I am Looking for pics of that tire, in the size I would be buying. 285/60/18. I like having a visual idea of exactly what I am buying before I purches it. So far I have not found any pictures of these tires in the exact size I am looking at buying. Found lots of pic of them, but no live shots of the tire mounted or un mounted in that 285/60/18 size.

After all research and complications with TPS, decided to stick with the OE wheels for now , and the Geolander ATS 285/60/18.
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Other then being 20"s I ran across these 20" OE Tundra wheels. I was told they were a new wheel design from Toyota found in the TRD pro Tundra's.
Very tempting.
image.jpg

I have seen them in person a lot lately. They are REALLY good looking wheels. Too bad that are only in the 20" variety.

Other then being 20"s I ran across these 20" OE Tundra wheels. I was told they were a new wheel design from Toyota found in the TRD pro Tundra's.
Very tempting.
View attachment 1067007
They are actually the Texas off road package in 20's done at port by Toyota. The trd pro has trd 18" wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom