Builds GX460 Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was able to look at the GX460 at Mule this weekend during their open house. I couldn't get any pictures of the mounting due to the lighting and the fact that the install was finished so nicely. The bumper spacing is perfect against the body with just enough gap for movement. The finish was excellent and the ARB skid plates and bumper wings were nicely tied in. All in all, a great truck that looked awesome with a Tepui tent installed on the roof. Nice people at Mule and they have a nice install shop. The showroom is tiny but nicely arranged.

TRD83 - Do you have to cut the section of removed bumper that fits under the taillight, and reinstall it to fit with the new Kaymar?

I was able to look at the GX460 at Mule this weekend during their open house. I couldn't get any pictures of the mounting due to the lighting and the fact that the install was finished so nicely. The bumper spacing is perfect against the body with just enough gap for movement. The finish was excellent and the ARB skid plates and bumper wings were nicely tied in. All in all, a great truck that looked awesome with a Tepui tent installed on the roof. Nice people at Mule and they have a nice install shop. The showroom is tiny but nicely arranged.
Did you happen to take any more pics of the build? What kind of sliders are mounted?

Did you happen to take any more pics of the build? What kind of sliders are mounted?

I seem to recall that Mule fabbed up the sliders. They looked good, if not a bit tight against the rocker panel. The OEM running boards were cut and the remaining rocker panel trip reinstalled similar to what Orion did here:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/05-gx470-build.840463/

Sorry, I didn't get a chance to take any pictures. The place was jammed and the GX was all the way forward in their installation bay.

I seem to recall that Mule fabbed up the sliders. They looked good, if not a bit tight against the rocker panel. The OEM running boards were cut and the remaining rocker panel trip reinstalled similar to what Orion did here:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/05-gx470-build.840463/

Sorry, I didn't get a chance to take any pictures. The place was jammed and the GX was all the way forward in their installation bay.

Not a problem. I was curious. I have seen a few that have 4Runner sliders on them but they don't seem to extend out far enough on the front and back to protect the entire rocker panel. I haven't seen any in person so I could be wrong about that...just my thoughts based on pics posted here.

TRD83 - Do you have to cut the section of removed bumper that fits under the taillight, and reinstall it to fit with the new Kaymar?

Yup.

Finished photo added. I'll add some more when I come back from a trip this weekend.

New bumper looks good! Can you open the tire swing out and snap a picture? I would like to see a picture of the swing out open AND swing out open with the tail gate open.

Dang. That looks great! Very "inconspicuous" - the silver on silver is a good match.

Sounds great and I can hardly wait to see the photos!

New bumper looks good! Can you open the tire swing out and snap a picture? I would like to see a picture of the swing out open AND swing out open with the tail gate open.

Swing out open (rear view)

Swing out open (side view)

Both open (rear view)

Both open (side view)

Very nice mods. Never saw a kitted out newer GX.
Out of curiosity when shopping did you consider a 200 series LC?

Quick camping trip to the North Georgia mountains this weekend with a friend and his AEV Wrangler. It was pretty nasty out and raining most of the time so didn't get too many good pictures, but saw a pretty decent assortment of terrain. The GX 460 ran circles around the locked, lifted, 6.4L Hemi Jeep... Jeep guys never read the Toyota section, right? Some of the off camber washouts were a little much for the IFS and AT tires, so I by-passed and just spotted for the Jeep a few times.
Overall, I was pretty happy with the extra clearance and Michelin AT tires; they did all they could with clay. I got a little hung up a few times on the TJM steps, and while I don't think it was the entire weight of the vehicle, they slid nicely and did their job. The gas tank skid got the most action otherwise, which isn't where I would have guessed, but the front edge is basically centered between the front and rear axles.

Nicely improved departure angle:

But the good part about rain? Amicalola Falls were flowing pretty well!

I know, I know, let's see the jeep!

Not a very good gauge for "if you can make it, I can make it"

Last edited:
Very nice mods. Never saw a kitted out newer GX.
Out of curiosity when shopping did you consider a 200 series LC?

I absolutely did. I always loved the 100 series, and the 200 series seem to be equally great. They were a little thirstier and a little pricier than I liked (especially looking at the LX). The extra 2K towing was nice (6500 for GX and 8XXX for 200 series) but the only towing I'd do with the GX would be less than 6500 anyway (and only as a back up), so that would just be a comfort buffer.

In retrospect, the extra space of a 200 series would have been nice as the back of the GX fills up pretty quick. The availability of mods is also a big W for the 200 series.

Did you consider the GX/ 150 series?

Where i live the dealer actually used to bring a few top of the range 150 series Prado's with each batch and they had better specifications than a top of the range LC200, they literally ticked everything in the options list. Air suspension but for the rear only, crawl control, memory seats, rear locker ( even the 200 doesn't have crawl + rear locker ) and all the other options you can think off the cameras, radar cruise control, electric third row seats the whole thing. It was close to GX territory in pricing though.
To answer your question though, no, i never considered the Prado/GX but i know how capable they can be off road and they do feel more nimble to drive.
Such a shame what they did to the newest facelifted GX....I think they even downgraded in terms of quality on some of the interior parts.

Really cool rig and i hope you have lots of fun with it. I will definitely be checking back to see the progress.

Last edited:
Swing out open (rear view)

Swing out open (side view)

Both open (rear view)

Both open (side view)

It appears that there is no conflict between the fully open door and the swing out tire. Can you confirm? Your GX looks GREAT!

Thanks for sharing.

To the OP:

Thanks for the various pictures of the tire swing out! One of the pictures the tire looks fairly close to the bumper. If I purchase a GX460 I would like to run a 33" tire. I was wondering if Kaymar specifies the maximum tire size you can run on their tire swing out?? I would not want to buy this bumper if the 33-33.5" tire would touch the rear bumper when opened!

It appears that there is no conflict between the fully open door and the swing out tire. Can you confirm? Your GX looks GREAT!

Thanks for sharing.

No conflict at all. It is very clean and well thought out. The rear window even opens without issue (great for tossing something in the back quickly).

To the OP:

Thanks for the various pictures of the tire swing out! One of the pictures the tire looks fairly close to the bumper. If I purchase a GX460 I would like to run a 33" tire. I was wondering if Kaymar specifies the maximum tire size you can run on their tire swing out?? I would not want to buy this bumper if the 33-33.5" tire would touch the rear bumper when opened!

I'll guess a bit: without an exotic, one-off suspension, if you do run a 33" it's going to be fairly narrow. The center post on the swing arm that the tire mounts to (galvanized silver looking piece while the rest of the arm is black) is adjustable in and out to accommodate different accessory mounting or a slightly different size tire. If you look up actual dimesions of the 33" tire you have in mind from the manufacturer website I'll do a little more detailed measuring speculation based on the posted dimensions of what I have (I think I'm at 31.5, so assuming your 33" will run a bit small in diameter and be near 10.5 width you are only talking about .75" more clearance needed)

** the Prado 150 has a slightly different rear bumper doesn't "flare" until lower. Given that this is the closest point between spare tire and body on the GX, a prado will likely fit a slightly larger tire than what a GX will on the swing out - so just consider that if you hear/ read a "max tire size" from Kaymar**

Airlift 1000 Air Bag Kit(PN: 60920)/ complete on 23 May
I did a weekend trip in the GX and needed to take the flatbed trailer. Because I opted for "soft" rear lift springs based on how often we drive empty vs loaded, I had a decent amount of sag in the rear even with just a welder, some scrap metal and furniture on the trailer. In order to be able to pull the car hauler loaded, some inflatable bags for the rear springs were the perfect solution.

I started off by finding the recommended kit for a FJ Cruiser/ 4Runner. Then I gave the Air Lift tech line a call to see if the taller Dobinsons springs would make a difference. They had me measure the inner diameter and height inside of the spring (from metal to metal). I came up with a 4.5' inner diameter and a 9.75' height. Because the distance was different (taller) than stock, they recommended PN 60920 rather than the stock FJ Cruiser/ 4Runner kit.

I received the kit a few days later.

b0354c372371bfb18da96ec6d6a2dadf.jpg

e1bb112c313a38dd915e566e0b714c76.jpg

I installed it in the simplest way - no electronic sensors or compressors, just a schrader valve on the bumper, a single air line to the axle, then a T-fitting, and up through the bottom of the spring mounts.

First I jacked the truck up by the body until the rear wheels were off the ground, then jack stands.

Next, I rolled the bags and stuffed them into the inside of the springs. I didn't need to pull the springs or anything like that - quick install.

I only used two of the four black "spacers;" I put them on the bottom of each bag to protect the fitting on the bag that connects to the lines.

Finally, I ran the hoses from the bags, to axle, to underbody, then to rear bumper.

b3a9554cfe7cdad2926bcfb44c2adeb4.jpg

Air Lift recommends you put 20 psi over night to check for leaks; if it holds you are good, if it looses pressure check for leaks. I took my time with the fittings and didn't have leaks.

Before and After pics to follow!

Last edited:
I've really enjoyed reading your build. How is the Kaymar bumper holding up for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom