1980 FJ45 in Dubai - Saved From the Sands (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Unfortunately the axle doesn't fit so I'm still stuck with drums until I can source something that works. That being said the body is coming back together so I'm insanely excited.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1428826652.564040.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1428826665.799011.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1428826678.183682.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1428826692.568635.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1428826705.420331.jpg

She is finally looking like a 45. Originally there was too much body filler put on so the guys at the workshop are going back over the car and ensuring that it's as minimal as possible. Looks

Seats came in and they look good, but are all bubble wrapped up so I guess I'm going to make everyone wait to see them to ensure they don't sustain any damage in the meantime.

I'm in love already

Great thread. Looking forward to the final stretch of work. And the interior "reveal"

@JohnnyC - that site no longer has part diagrams; but this one does

http://www.japan-parts.eu/

@maxofarabia - I'm sure Al Aswar, Sharjah would have the parts, or can order them for you. I can check with the Qatar Toyota dealer if you give me the part numbers. Going there later this week.

PS - lover what you are going with your rig. Giving me a lot of ideas? :):clap:

Toyodiy still works FYI.

Final prepping is done and things are going into/ coming out of the paint booth.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429690947.096823.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429690970.032868.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429690991.203087.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429691013.708077.jpg

The fenders have been painted, but will be repainted again after everything is put together to ensure that there are no scratches etc.

The interior of the cab floor has been done in something they call "orange peel" which is basically just a texture that is mixed in with the paint so it is harder wearing (kind of like spray in bedliner)

I'm very happy on how it is turning out, I just need a few final things, one of which is the paint code for the white that the roof will be painted. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Happy with the latest developments in your resto!
Can't wait too!

Mits
--------
1984 BJ42, 4E9 Toyo beige

Wow!!! The tenacious off road capability of these old trucks aside, the coooool factor is off the hook!

I want one!:bounce:-I want one!:bounce:-I want one!:bounce:-I want one!:bounce:-

I was in Abu Dhabi yesterday visiting friends so picked up the vintage air AC that a friend bought a while back but never installed. Unfortunately it is only the one big box, so the in cab parts, and he doesn't think the rest of the kit ever came. I shot them an email to see if they can sell me the rest of the parts, but to be honest I'm pretty happy just locally sourcing the compressor etc. my truck is obviously far from fully stock so I don't see the harm in finding the latest and greatest ac parts. If I source them from a late model year land cruiser then I figure that they should be good for the heat and humidity, and should give me more than enough cooling power to keep me icy.

I just stopped by to drop the ac off at performance garage dxb, and once again they're all hard at work on my car. I was never in a rush for this build, but they are doing a great job and so far I'm definitely very happy to have entrusted them with restoring my 45.

Currently they are doing the final prep on the doors, windscreen frame, and rear of the cab. Looks pretty good to me!
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429950759.539176.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429950723.206847.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429950736.152914.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429950747.170923.jpg

While I originally wasn't going to put a head liner in, I changed my mind and thanks to the guidance of @arabiancruisers I ordered one from the U.S. - the idea being that I'll put in some insulating material between the roof and the head liner to try and prevent my brain from frying on the hottest days.

I was also debating insulating the rest of the cab, but I don't know what the best way to do this while maintaining aesthetics is. I saw something on a thread here about putting insulating material on the bottom of custom full coverage floor mats. I like the idea even though I'm not too sure I want floor mats. The other possibility is to insulate from the engine bay by sticking the insulation to the firewall. Any advice would be great!

One of the parts that I am most proud of of this restoration is the pickup bed. When I bought the 45 in Saudi my friend didn't think to look under the pile of sand that came free in the back, so when I saw it it was completely rusted through almost everywhere. Initially very disappointed, I tried to find another bed as a replacement locally, but didn't find anything to my liking.

So I left it to the guys at performance garage dxb to hand fabricate the entire floor of the bed. The pictures speak for themselves.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430122202.935895.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430122214.220337.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430122229.289175.jpg

If you search for issues, you can find them. But they went over and above and managed to pull off what I see as pretty miraculous. It took a huge number of man hours for this to be formed by hand, but seeing that I'm not a fan of flat sheet metal in the bed of a pickup I'd definitely say it was worth the added effort. When everything is done and painted I'll be taking my truck to linex the interior of the bed in body color. It's a huge departure from keeping it stock, but since I want to use my truck for more than just the occasional weekend drive I think it's best. This way I can happily throw all my junk in the trunk without worrying about chipping the paint.

"to linex the interior of the bed in body color"
You're right Max, I would do the same!

Mits
------
1984 BJ42

Getting closer...
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430424135.618000.jpg

The tub is about ready for paint.

I ordered a few last minute parts (ashtray, antenna, rear view mirror) that I missed on my first big shopping spree. And I forgot to take the rubber from the bottom of the dash to the upholsters, so those need to be done to match the rest of the interior.

Apart from that I'm on the look out for some clean tailgate hinges as mine are slightly loose, and I'm also looking for some of these -->
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430424311.935814.jpg

I have no idea what they're called, but on the diagram they're highlighted.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430424361.605517.jpg
. Not sure if/ where I can find them, but fingers crossed.

I also decided that I need proper headlights after I saw the state mine are in and went for the JW Speakerlights
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430424461.936666.jpg

They are a little bit modern looking for my taste, but I figured function over form on this one.

Fingers crossed things start coming together faster, the excitement is getting hard to handle.

Getting closer... View attachment 1069859
The tub is about ready for paint.

I ordered a few last minute parts (ashtray, antenna, rear view mirror) that I missed on my first big shopping spree. And I forgot to take the rubber from the bottom of the dash to the upholsters, so those need to be done to match the rest of the interior.

Apart from that I'm on the look out for some clean tailgate hinges as mine are slightly loose, and I'm also looking for some of these --> View attachment 1069861

I have no idea what they're called, but on the diagram they're highlighted. View attachment 1069862. Not sure if/ where I can find them, but fingers crossed.

I also decided that I need proper headlights after I saw the state mine are in and went for the JW Speakerlights View attachment 1069863

They are a little bit modern looking for my taste, but I figured function over form on this one.

Fingers crossed things start coming together faster, the excitement is getting hard to handle.
Great progress. Your lucky the shop is doing a wonderful job. Can't wait to meet your truck.

It's always great to see the progress. Especially if it's 45 like yours. The shop is doing a great job on your build. Can't wait to se the final build.

Great progress. Your lucky the shop is doing a wonderful job. Can't wait to meet your truck.

Means the world to hear that, especially coming from you! You know that both my house and my cars are always here and available for when you visit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom