The Vegtable Garden Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fresh greens on our salads tonight, beet and garlic. Garlic greens on salad are friggin awesome, thanks to whoever here mentioned that. The beet greens are from seed I threw out in the garden last fall.

Your welcome.:cheers:. I discovered this years ago. IMO, the best reason for growing garlic. I've also become a big fan of uncured cloves. They have both a pungent and slightly sweet taste you don't get from cured garlic.

To date I have never seen a recipe that calls for either. Why I have no clue, both are unique and tasty treats.

If you are growing onions too. Try pulling both fresh and saute in butter or olive oil, over medium heat add your favorite veggies and toss with pasta.:cool::bounce::bounce2:

:lol: no mention of growing your own. Anyone who can grow weeds can grow garlic. That is one of the only times I've seen anything written about using the greens for cooking.
Garlic verges on weed status, seriously NEVER let it go to seed. You will have garlic forever. On the other hand it is very effective as a bug deterrent.

Garlic verges on weed status, seriously NEVER let it go to seed. You will have garlic forever. .

You say that like it's a bad thing.;)

I can't remember garlic ever going to seed. Onion yes, all the time. We might be using a different variety or harvesting earlier.

The only thing I had hit weed status was basil, boo hoo. At one time I had volunteer plants all over my yard. As in 3-4 ft hedges. Then the finches got all culinary and sh!t and started eating all the seeds. Now I get few volunteers and have to get my hands dirty again.

My last garden it became a chore pulling it. Not as bad as Horseraddish, that is the worst.

The roots hang on tight. I usually dig under them with my fingers or a small trowel and pop them loose. It also helps to water before harvesting.

The roots hang on tight. I usually dig under them with my fingers or a small trowel and pop them loose. It also helps to water before harvesting.
Horseraddish? I won't have it in my garden again. It's invasive and nearly impossible to eradicate. It might work in a container.

Garlic verges on weed status, seriously NEVER let it go to seed. You will have garlic forever. On the other hand it is very effective as a bug deterrent.

You say that like it's a bad thing.;)

Right?

I've had it go to seed before (not seeds, they're actually little mini-bulbs). It has actually separated the bricks in the walkway as they bulb out. So you have to pull up the bricks and get them out of there. What you get are these cute heart-shaped garlic bulbs.

:doh:

Except for that, I don't really mind to much. This year I'm trying out a "perennial garlic patch" where I can have a more or less year round supply of leaves/bulbs.

Horseraddish? I won't have it in my garden again. It's invasive and nearly impossible to eradicate. It might work in a container.

I'm allergic so I'll never have that issue. Anything invasive should go in a pot or surround it with a border so it can't escape.

Right?

I've had it go to seed before (not seeds, they're actually little mini-bulbs). It has actually separated the bricks in the walkway as they bulb out. So you have to pull up the bricks and get them out of there. What you get are these cute heart-shaped garlic bulbs.

Except for that, I don't really mind to much. This year I'm trying out a "perennial garlic patch" where I can have a more or less year round supply of leaves/bulbs.

I usually wait and plant in early fall. I've always wondered if they'd grow in the summer heat. Perennial would be awesome.

I replanted so of the tiny cloves from last year so I now have a bunch of mini garlic. I'll start pulling them shortly and expect I'll be able to just chop up the whole plant and cook it. It should be a nice treat.

Right?

Sometimes they actually go to seed, teeny tiny little black seeds like grains of pepper that get in every flower bed in your yard.

Down in Sackotomatoes you can probably grow garlic year round, must be nice.

I'm allergic so I'll never have that issue. Anything invasive should go in a pot or surround it with a border so it can't escape.
Live an learn, I had no idea how invasive horseradish was when I planted it the first/last time.

Live an learn, I had no idea how invasive horseradish was when I planted it the first/last time.

I planted something called New Zealand spinach years ago. I've never seen it flower and it doesn't put out runners, so I have no clue how it reproduces but the sh!t pops up all over my yard. Luckily the summer heat kills it every year or it could really get out of hand.

Got some stuff in Saturday, a bunch of different tomatoes, about half heirloom, basil, chives, mint, cilantro, tobasco peppers, banana peppers, and jalapeños.
FB_IMG_1430134202062.jpg
FB_IMG_1430134210792.jpg
FB_IMG_1430134219435.jpg

I've planted in different spots several times, but always have the best luck with this bed. It faces West so It gets sun most of the day.

Got some stuff in Saturday, a bunch of different tomatoes, about half heirloom, basil, chives, mint, cilantro, tobasco peppers, banana peppers, and jalapeños.
View attachment 1068022 View attachment 1068023 View attachment 1068024
I've planted in different spots several times, but always have the best luck with this bed. It faces West so It gets sun most of the day.

Put that mint in a pot and don't let it escape!

It's amazing what even a miniscule difference in light can make. I've always found garlic and onions are great for testing sunlight. They're cheap, easy to grow and highly sensitive to light. With even the crumb of shade, you'll get an under developed plant.

Put that mint in a pot and don't let it escape!

It's amazing what even a miniscule difference in light can make. I've always found garlic and onions are great for testing sunlight. They're cheap, easy to grow and highly sensitive to light. With even the crumb of shade, you'll get an under developed plant.
I keep that mint trimmed way back. But, you're right, that stuff spreads faster than honeysuckle vine!

I keep that mint trimmed way back. But, you're right, that stuff spreads faster than honeysuckle vine!

It's the underground runners you have to control. The will go everywhere.

It's the underground runners you have to control. The will go everywhere.
Yeah, I dug many up last week. I may take your advice and get it into a bucket and out of the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom