The Cursed Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know 31's are different which is why I'm wondering. My old truck has 4.56's, 31's 22RE and an auto transmission and I could go 75 down the same road.

I'm lucky if my 2L cruises at 60mp/h on the flats, push it and I might get close to 70 but never do. Throw some of the coastal mountains in front of me and enjoy your nice slow cruise at 40mp/h hahaha

Just some pictures I've been meaning to upload, also finally tore into the winch that'll go on the rear of my truck. A Warn 9.5TI. I'll be posting a thread on rebuilding one in the Winching and Recovery section if anyone needs it.

IMG_20150414_133144484.jpg

IMG_20150420_142934573.jpg

IMG_20150420_142947598.jpg

So I'm looking to do my Head Gasket and install a can at the same time. I'm looking at the 261 C from engnbldr. This HG kit http://www.lceperformance.com/Head-Gasket-Set-22R-RE-83-84-p/1024048.htm, with ARP studs. I'll have the head decked so its flat again and I'll check the cylinders. This engine doesn't have much on it for a Toyota (less than 200k as far as I know). Is there anything else I'm missing to do or do I have it all for a HG job and Camshaft install? Yes I've read threads on both and 4crawls thread on the camshaft install. Does anyone think I'd be better off just not doing the HG? Or is that what everyone has done that's install a can? I've heard mixed things in removing the HG or not. Thoughts please?

Why are you going to do a head gasket in the first place? Leaking? Using coolant or oil? If there isn't a need to do one then I'd leave it alone.

With the ARP head studs measure diameter. I forget which head bolt channels are used as oil gullies as well. I've read where some have not compared, clearanced then correctly, and wound up with an oil starve issue. Don't forget to chase the head bolt bosses with a tap or an old head bolt with a relief cut threads.

As for the head gasket well your into it that far. Especially if you don't know history. How about timing chain. I don't know about LCE's head gasket but I've about decided Toyota is the best way to go.

I've done the timing chain and because you have to remove the head bolts to do a can install thus disturbing the HG toast

I may go with stock everything, head gasket, bolts, PCV and the grommet as then I know its good stuff.

Right. Well I'd say leave it alone if your engine is solid. Your opening up a can of worms for sure.

So leave it alone and don't do the cam is what you're saying/ I may as the cost of a HG job, plus the Cam and all the while your in there things adds up pretty fast.

After consulting with my Toyota shop I work at (Valley Hybrids) I was given the following advice; If you know the engine very well and are confident in it then drain all fluids, let sit for a day or so and when it's really cold do it methodically and quickly. If this doesn't sound like you or your engine, do the HG. Hope that helps

It's intimidating at first, but it's not that bad. Review FSM. Google how to, then do it in your imagination first. Even a head gasket isn't that bad. Just do your home work. I'm not a rocket scientist nor a surgeon. I started with a knowledge base slightly above believing that a turn of the key produced a magic chain reaction similar to Harry Potter that made rig go. Honestly the worst than it's gonna cost you is time and money, not life or limb. Provided you use safety and common sense.

Thank ud, that's always the part that keeps me going and why I converted my 84 carbed truck to EFI. I'm looking at ording HG, bolts and other misc. stuff from Cdan, than order the 261 C cam from Engnblrd along with some valve seals either from Toyota or LCE. Not sure which yet. Still need to do some reading on that one. And Toast i went and talked to my mechanic buddy who's worked on toyota's for 30 years and he suggested to just do the HG and I'm starting to head that way. Thank you for the adive it's always helpful to read new things.

04112-35150

Check it out, this kit is like 130 bucks and comes with a HG, intake, exhaust, Valve seals, ect. ect. This is all factory Toyota stuff. Ask cruiser Dan or whoever works at Toyota what it consists of and the price. I mean HG alone is like 50 or 60 bucks and valve seals are the same.... It's the way to go if you ask me...

For carbed models I take it. My intake is EFI and I'm going to hopefully be putting a head on as well but I will ask CDan about it. That k you Toast.

That's the EFI gasket kit part number my man! I didn't forget you converted! I picked up the slightly more complete kit for a couple bucks more. Def a money saver when you have to do a HG job.

Well thank you! And I do enjoy saving money to buy other stuff for my truck haha. Speaking of EFI how is your swap coming along?

With that kit though since its for EFI wouldn't the HG be different Toast?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom