Eastern Kentucky: Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As many of you know, eastern Kentucky has great expo style recreation.

Unfortunately, many of the best roads are closed, some are still open, most are at risk for closure and a cloud of obscurity surrounds where a person can "ride".

Fortunately, many of the roads are county roads but are in the same situation;some are closed, some are still open, and all are shrouded by a lack of organization, either by the county, state, or forest service. So, the last bunch of years I have been working with the forest service, counties, state, and other interests in order to organize and manage the roads in seeking a long term, sustainable, and balanced use plan.

You can find information and updates on the following Facebook page. There are world class recreation opportunities in eastern Kentucky. Please be sure to like, share, and responsibly use them or we risk losing them.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Friends-Of-Boone/694090960601745?fref=ts

Screen shot 2013-11-12 at 10.44.59 PM.jpg

I am very intrested in helping if i can. I read a year ago that the locals in eastern ky knew of a trail/road that ran north and south but could not find any info of the trail/road. Was wondering if you had any info about such a trail/road? Or if the byway was what they were speaking of?
Thanks

Is anyone still watching this page?

I am now in Mid Missouri, but do come home to London quite often. If I knew when there was an event, I would be there to assist, meet people, and do what is needed to help out.

I do have a FB account, but it is only for my kids to talk to me while I am away (tto many wild friends that post things--not for my kids to see). What is the FB page---how do I find it?

Just came across this. I've noticed a lot old roads in Carter co. where the family's front have been abandoned and grown over. This is in NE KY along the Jenny Wiley Trail (it runs through my great-great-great granddad's place) and the old Warrior's Trace. I'd think the counties wouldn't mind clearing parties for some of these. One big reason I got my LC (and my GMC) was to find old cemeteries for historical and genealogical purposes.

Want to see where the old roads are? Here's a KY Transportation Cabinet link: http://transportation.ky.gov/Planning/Pages/Historical-Maps.aspx

Those are the same maps I've used to preserve the roads for the byway project around Powell, Wolfe, Estill, Lee, and Menifee counties.

Those maps are awesome. You can also find info on UK's infocat and reserves library.

I look forward to hooking up with you all when I get back to KY for good. Currently in MO, but just got myself a shop and pulled my 40 up here to work on it and drive it--it (and the other 2 hopefully) will be in prime shape when I get back. S/F...

I am leading a ride of the byway on the 27th of June if anyone can make it, feel free to join us!

Meeting at the Slade KY rest area off mountain parkway 9am.

Hi, I tried following the Byway that you guys created but I came across 3 different spots that looked like it was trespassing.
One trail went right through an active rock quarry, one was clearly marked no trespassing and the other went right up someone's driveway.

I marked them on this map with green flags...

Byway-L.jpg

was it fun? I'd be up for making a road trip if something gets organized this year?

Glad you went! The active quarry is cow creek road to chop chestnut road which leads to a cemetery and comes out on high rock rd. All legal all county roads.

The two no trespassing signs you indicated are posted to deter prevent hunting on the land adjacent to the road, one on land adjacent to Pumpkin Hollow Road and the other adjacent to old Fincastle Rd. Neither indicate passing through the county right of way is trespassing... Though I do agree a couple roads cross near houses/farms but again, totally legal totally county roads and totally approved by the counties themselves.

If you shoot me your email I can send you the .gpx file so you know you are on the right track exactly.

As an aside, we will have the byway on cartotracks downloadable digital mapping around April '16!

If you shoot me your email I can send you the .gpx file so you know you are on the right track exactly.

As an aside, we will have the byway on cartotracks downloadable digital mapping around April '16!

Awesome, PM sent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom