Another "I have a whine sound" thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bang Bang

Age is a state of mind.
Threads
Website
www.lalandkrewesers.com
Sorry for posting another of these threads but I have read thru quite a few and can't find anyone that is having a similar issue. First, I am fairly new to the 80 series. It's a 97LX450 that had the engine professionally rebuilt using all Toyota OEM parts (what I was told and saw a receipt for the work but I wasn't there to confirm as it was before I was in the market) roughly 20k miles ago. I know I'm burning oil as I get white smoke out the tail on start up and I have to top it off from time to time. I will be bringing it to the local dealership for a diagnosis shortly. But here is the whine. Under load (as in I can't replicate when the truck is in park or neutral and the engine is reved) at the tail end of each gear I get a high pitched whine that is distinctly coming from the rear of the truck (I had my wife drive it as I climbed all thru the truck trying to find the source). It is loudest in the cargo area hence my conclusion it is coming from the rear. Once you reach hi way speeds and are just cruising it disappears but step on the accelerator to pass someone or if in cruise control and you start up a hill and there it is again until you are just cruising again and not really putting a load on it. I first thought it to be a poor ground in the audio (aftermarket radio installed by a PPO) but I am 100% that isn't it as I have no speakers in the cargo area and I had my ear to the speakers while my wife drove. I am suspecting the transmission but unsure how to proceed. I will ask the dealer to give me their diagnosis on this as well but I wanted to get some opinions here. As an aside, I trust this dealership as they have sponsored our club for 4 years now and the service manager is one of our members. I have also been in the shop with the techs as they have worked on different members' 40's, 60's and 80's. These guys have a clue about the older rigs.

Anyway, thoughts on my issue?

With all due respect for the service manager and "I will be bringing it to the local dealership for a diagnosis shortly," spend $25 on an oil sample first. When you send it in, describe that white smoke on start and you might get some great advice and direction.

Do a search for exhaust whistle.
I have read about this "normal" exhaust whistle and there seems to be no difintive cure. I am inclined to believe this whistle was not present when these cruisers were sold brand new.

I have read about this "normal" exhaust whistle and there seems to be no difintive cure. I am inclined to believe this whistle was not present when these cruisers were sold brand new.

I would also like to know if it was "factory original", or something that developed over time.

I have read where people deleted the resonator and it got much worse.

Mine seems to whistle only at certain loads and throttle positions.

Has anyone found a fix that doesn't break the bank?

Might also want to check out this thread of mine. There's a link to a youtube video I took too. It ended up being a pinion bearing. Are all 80's this loud

I would also like to know if it was "factory original", or something that developed over time.

I have read where people deleted the resonator and it got much worse.

Mine seems to whistle only at certain loads and throttle positions.

Has anyone found a fix that doesn't break the bank?
I removed my resonator in order to fit the 4X4Labs bumper and yes the whistle got louder. I have read here that some rigs don't whistle, some replaced the muffler with oem or equivalent and it went away. Some people replace the entire exhaust system and it still whistles!! There are a few youtube vids demonstrating a 1FZ-FE exhaust note with XYZ exhaust system, several of which I have viewed and I heard zero whistle. My first 80 was an all original and stock 1994 with 180k and no whistle. My current 80 is also a 94 with rebuilt enginge and 264k on the clock and it whistles like crazy!! This is why I say there seems to be no diffinitive cure or even a rhyme or reason. However, once I figured out that the noise was not a drive train issue it became more tolerable.

Might also want to check out this thread of mine. There's a link to a youtube video I took too. It ended up being a pinion bearing. Are all 80's this loud

Holy CRAP!! No, thank the cruiser gods my whine is nothing like what you posted in your video. Mine is just at the top end of each gear when the engine is under heavy load. If I ease up to speed, it is barely audible. And the sound goes away once you reach speed and there is no more load. "Whistle" is a better word to describe my "whine".

I have it too, and suspected speakers at first (factory stereo still in place). My resonator is rusted through and rumbles, not sure if that is contribuiting to the whistle.

Some people like the whistle. :eek:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZD-ADArwXo

"You supposabe cookin' breakfast or somethin for somebody....."

I have the whistle - I just roll the windows up and turn the AC on. My whistle is not for decoration.

So it's a noise related to engine speed? Does it increase in pitch with acceleration or does it maintain a steady tone at a constant pitch?

Is it a whistle or a whine?

I removed my resonator in order to fit the 4X4Labs bumper and yes the whistle got louder

This is exactly what happened to me. I probably had it before, but as soon as I chopped off the resonator to put on the 4x4labs rear bumper it got a whole lot more noticeable.

This is exactly what happened to me. I probably had it before, but as soon as I chopped off the resonator to put on the 4x4labs rear bumper it got a whole lot more noticeable.
Curious if all years FZJ are experiencing this whistle? Think I will try a cherry bomb muffler and try to drown it out with obnoxious inline six tractor sounds at high decibels!

Whistle. Seems to be the same pitch pretty much.
Related to load more than anything. Mid RPMs, +/-.

At least that's how mine is.

That's how mine is too. Same pitch and caused by load but mine shows up on the high side of the gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom