gaskets, air filter housing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jblueridge

SILVER Star
Threads
Looking for a source for air filter housing gaskets.
The big one for the lid or top and the small one for the can at the bottom.
Dealer says no-go and Amayama says no also.
Where do I look now?
Part #'s
90430-98001
17845-61011

Also the little rubber drain flapper on the bottom can. Is there a source to buy another or should I fab some sort of replacement?
Thanks.

little rubber drain flapper

90430-98001 Is it one the bug catcher?

Fabbing a rubber gasket would be ok provided it seals 100% but the epc is saying this part 17845-61011 crosses over to numerous Toyotas many of them are sold on the US market 95-97 lexus 450 and 83-87 corollas 83-87 Tercel 81-85 Celica 80s 4runner and others .
You might find one at a wrecker but they may want to sell you the whole assembly.

Toyota DIY EPC names the smaller gasket as the GASKET(FOR BOTTOM AIR CLEANER FILTER CASE).

The rectangle of rubber on the bottom of the bug can (?) is held in place by two barbs of rubber. These are pretty rotten and ready to let go.
When the engine is running it looks like this rubber bit is drawn up against the slot in the case and so seals it.
I don't see this thing in the catalog at all.

As with any discontinued or non-serviced part you have four options.

1) Locate an NOS or a serviceable used part.

2) Make a field-fix from locally available materials.

3) Find someone who is making reproduction copies or reproduce them yourself if you have the resources.

4) Do without.

I have just recently received new one's from Mr. T, both are felt and long strips (not circles) and could be easily fabbed

Toyota DIY EPC names the smaller gasket as the GASKET(FOR BOTTOM AIR CLEANER FILTER CASE).

The rectangle of rubber on the bottom of the bug can (?) is held in place by two barbs of rubber. These are pretty rotten and ready to let go.
When the engine is running it looks like this rubber bit is drawn up against the slot in the case and so seals it.
I don't see this thing in the catalog at all.

Got a pic?

Dealer had the two for the top and bottom of the filter element; they are identical.
The smallest ring gasket [90430-98001] which goes on the Bottom Air Cleaner Case I am getting from CruiserParts.
The largest ring gasket [17845-61011] for the lid of the cleaner housing, no one seems to have.

The little rectangular deal hanging off the bottom only LOOKED rotten. It cleaned up very well and will serve for a while longer.
I'll get a pic of it before I reassemble everything. I still have not found it in a parts catalog.

The largest ring gasket [17845-61011] for the lid of the cleaner housing, no one seems to have

toyota should be able to get it, they got it for me here in Peru of all places.

i wanted to replace the black plastic tab as well, but it seems it only comes with the dust cap assembly as far as i could tell.

Here are pics of the powder coated BOTTOM AIR CLEANER FILTER CASE. Clearly shown is the little rubber, uh, thing on the bottom.
In the second photo you can see the two barbs that hold it in place and the center hole for drainage, I guess.

upload_2015-5-3_10-25-2.png

upload_2015-5-3_10-25-23.png

Looks like you could make that little flapper thing from an old bike tube or something of the same thickness.

17845-61011 crosses over to a heap of North Amercan toyotas. There must be one in a wrecker somewhere.
If you put part numbers into google ,you get a surprising amount of places that have it.
ToyotaPartsDeal.com say they have it in stock for $23.33. They have a live chat function on their site also.

Thanks Rosco! I'll chat with them and see what they have.

In the second photo you can see the two barbs that hold it in place and the center hole for drainage, I guess

why do you want to change it anyway? yours looks pretty good. as far as i can tell they are designed to not sit tight and flush, the idea is that when the engine's not running it falls down into that position and allows any water to drain out; when the engines running the vacuum pressure pulls it up to make a seal to prevent water ingress. i've seen a number of them in the flesh on my troopies, i bought a new one about 15 years ago (whole bottom case was rusted) and have seen others on friends vehicles (often showing people who didn't know it existed) and they always have that slight sag in them, so I can understand that might otherwise make you think the rubber is worn out, but if its not cracked and is still supple, it's probably good to go for a long while yet.

on the other hand i know some fellas who have chosen to silicon the hole altogether out of fear of water ingress at idle or when stopped in water and then just manually pull the case every now and then. I've thought about that as well on occasions but haven't yet gone down that route myself.

Damien, you are right. After I cleaned things up I too saw there was no reason to replace the little rubber bit.
I just think it strange that I can't find it on parts diagrams.

Strange but true, it comes with the metal case itself as I found out over 15 years ago when that rusted out on my first troopy. Maybe they don’t want us fiddling with it. I've yet to remove one from the case, partly because it seems to me that the slight sag might be exacerbated (and no longer seal) if you weren't extremely careful with it. I can see why some prefer to silicone the whole thing.

Ah, yes.
Good point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom