Dusy Ershim 2015 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BadReligion

SILVER Star
Threads

Just seeing if anyone would be interested in a late August/Early September run on Dusy Ershim. After stumbling across a few threads on past runs, it looks like this is an epic trail and I really would like to check it out. That being said, Dusy looks tough with a good possibility for breakage and high chance of body damage. I would prefer to run with an 80 or two (60's are ok too) that have done the trail before so if anyone is interested please let me know. Would love to get a group together and tackle this.

-Kris

Last edited:
hmmm...

Hi all,

What, no 40 Series need apply?! ;)

Regards,

Alan

dang, you make it hard to be non-committal;)...my only hesitation would be the trail itself...my old 55 should be up to it, but that is one well storied trail. never done it even tho the finish line is about an hour from my front door...this could be the year...

dang, you make it hard to be non-committal;)...my only hesitation would be the trail itself...my old 55 should be up to it, but that is one well storied trail. never done it even tho the finish line is about an hour from my front door...this could be the year...

Now you have to go. No excuses :flipoff2:

What about @Cruiserdrew? I'm interested, for sure. I bought my ham radio for this trip a couple years ago, then didn't go.

Sounds like we might be able to make this run happen! Cruiserdrew is most definitely invited. I think he has run Dusy before, plus after meeting him at last years Rubithon, I discovered he is quite the camp chef. We might have to "recruit" him.

we will have to pack in every drop of water we will want to see while we're back there this year...it is a matchbook...

Looking at the map I see lots of lakes, Thomson, Summit, East, Ershim, Mallard and Lakecamp. I know that in the desert that is Henry Coe State Park there is still water coming up out of the ground all over the place. You just have to know where to look. The USGS topo maps have springs marked on them.

has you seen sierra lately...I count on finding NO water on the ground this summer...my pond will be dry by may 10 at this rate. I am hoping some trees survive. it is bleek...And BTW, prolly no campfires this year, too...

It is going to be very dry this summer. Right now the snowpack in the Tahoe basin is 3% of normal, I’m sure it’s not much better on the western slope of the Sierras. This is the worst I have seen it in a long time. They most likely will open the trail before August 1 and I doubt fires will be permitted. The lakes/reservoirs may be low but still should have plenty of water for fishing, swimming, drinking etc so packing in water won’t be necessary.

As for the logistics, maybe we should pick a tentative date, August 20-22? I think at a minimum we should spend 2 nights/3 days on the trail. I think most people run from south to north, starting at Courtright Reservoir. Maybe meet there on a Thursday morning (I’ll be coming from Reno, 6 hrs away so most likely I will get in late Weds night and just camp out)…then we have all day Thursday, Friday, and Saturday on the trail. If we want to, we can always spend an extra night and exit Sunday. Whatever works best…I’m somewhat flexible.

-Kris

why wait till August?
3% of snow pack, means it's probably runnable now?

why wait till August?
3% of snow pack, means it's probably runnable now?

Earlier would be fine too but that 3% of snow is still 3' deep on north facing slopes in the shade. The Fresno 4x4 club seems to determine the opening date as they are the ones clearing trees and making the trail passable on the first run of the season. Last year that wasnt until August, and that was during another bad snow year. Though there werent many storms this year, the few the Sierras did get were super windy so I'm guessing there are quite a few downed trees to clear.

an early season run would be awesome. High elevation AND heat isn't a good combo.
I've been wanting to do this one forever, I'll have to bribe the time clock to see if I can go.

I'm in the Four Wheel Drive Club of Fresno, we haven't decided when the trail opens since 08. The Ranger that took over OHV Manager at that time made the decision. Then in 2011 they made these dates official, regardless of conditions. This year the trail will probably sit ready to open for three months before they open it. Oh yeah, they blame a frog and toad none of us have seen.

Here are the opening dates and source.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5326322.pdf

Link to open/closed status page.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sierra/home/?cid=stelprdb5315989

Thanks for the update Big Ed. Looks like Aug 1 is the soonest we can run it. That doesn't make any sense (when does the government ever make sense) to have a set opening date regardless of conditions.

So I am going to change the run to August 6-9th. Same plan, start on a Thursday morning and shoot for a 3 day run with the possibility of adding a 4th day and exiting Sunday. I know a few others expressed interest so if you are serious let me know and we can start organizing this! I am in the process of collecting some 80 series spare trail parts (DS/PS F&R axle shafts and a birf w/ a few other misc parts) but hoping we don't have to use any!

They told us the date was to allow the frogs time to move out of the meadows and into their foraging areas before vehicles come in, in an average year. I say that move (if it happens) would be determined by the snow melt, using logic for the basis of argument doesn't work on the Forest Service though. August first is on a Saturday this year, the earliest I can see them opening it is the day before (Friday).

Last edited:
Videos coming out through Gatekeeper (North end) after installing a toilet at Mallard Lake last October.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom