WARN 8274 Clicking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased an FJ40 last month which came with a Warn 8274. The PO told me the solenoid pack was bad, he blew it when pulling a stump, and that he verified this with Warn. He said a new version was available anyways and made sense to upgrade. I ordered a new pack off amazon (no Warn dealers in the Bay Area) and installed it last night.

When I power it up (engine off, connected directly to the battery, and grounded to the frame) it just clicks in both directions.

Seems like this is a common issue, where do I start troubleshooting this?

Thanks.

If you hear clicking, then the solenoids sound like they are operating. Are you sure that the motor is still good? He may have blown both the motor and solenoids at the same time. If you have a set of jumper cables you can check the motor without the solenoid pack. Hook the battery (-) to the motor ground terminal, the battery (+) to the "F1" terminal, and put a jumper between "F2" and "A". The motor should spin. If it does not, suspect motor damage (commutator, brushes, or failed armature windings). Doubtful the field would go but it's possible.

Good idea to jump the motor and bypass the solenoids. If that turns the motor, then I would suspect the terminals, buss bars, and cables. They get corroded with time and don't conduct well. Take all the connections apart and clean everything and put it back together.

I would not be at all surprised if the motor was spent. Hopefully I will have some time to investigate this all soon. Do I need a large guage wire to jump F2 to A?

A few updates...

I picked up a keyed second-hand motor off of ebay, it was supposed to be for a 8274. It was the wrong size, wrong bolt pattern, wrong diameter, etc. Luckily it was cheap...you get what you pay for.

I grabbed another used one for a bit more (in retrospect I should have maybe just bought a new one).

Unfortunately I confused the shaft type and purchased a splined version (mine is keyed). So I swapped the rotor from the old one with the casing from the new one. Lo and behold the thing worked. The cable was all spooled up in a mess, so I pulled it all the way out, and used the motor to start respooling. Well after spooling about two layers the motor started smoking. I stopped using it and respooled by hand (only ended up with one blister)

There were a few odd sounds coming from the winch (I am not very experienced with them, so they could have really been all weird sounds). I figured it was all settling in.

This winch is old, I dont know how old, but I would guess at a minimum 25 years, and could easy be closer to 40. It matches the truck, so I want to keep it around. I would be surprised if it has even been serviced, so I am thinking its probably time to spend a weekend and rebuild the thing.

Would really appreciate any tips as to why it would be smoking? is there any chance that its just braking in?

I'd recemend just buying the 9.5 xp and splined shaft (about $300, but worth it if you'll be using is a lot) and doing a rebuild of the winch.

I'd recemend just buying the 9.5 xp and splined shaft (about $300, but worth it if you'll be using is a lot) and doing a rebuild of the winch.

I just bought a 9.5XP motor off Amazon for $220. Whatever you do, skip on those cheap motors from DB Electrical and the like, all I read online is how they are great at first and let out the magic smoke within a year.

I just bought a 9.5XP motor off Amazon for $220. Whatever you do, skip on those cheap motors from DB Electrical and the like, all I read online is how they are great at first and let out the magic smoke within a year.

My experience exactly; DB electrical motor shat the bed after only six months so I replaced it with a 9.5XP motor. Warn sells the splined spur gear for the end of the motor. Another benefit is that the 9.5XP motor is 6 hp and the older 8274 motors are only 2.5 or 3 hp, so you get a major increase in pulling power from an already stout winch.

Its closer to $220, piece has changed since I last looked as its on my wish list as well

I ordered a new spline gear, going to put the new used motor back together the way it came (housing and rotor, currently it has my old rotor in a new housing). We will see how that works, and if I still have problems I am going to order a new motor.

The reality is I will barely use this thing, I live in San Francisco, and my FJ40 is a rust free garage queen, so not a lot of banging her around. But its a nice tool to have when you need it.

I ordered a new spline gear, going to put the new used motor back together the way it came (housing and rotor, currently it has my old rotor in a new housing). We will see how that works, and if I still have problems I am going to order a new motor.

The reality is I will barely use this thing, I live in San Francisco, and my FJ40 is a rust free garage queen, so not a lot of banging her around. But its a nice tool to have when you need it.

What would you take for the keyed motor pinion gear(shipped to 39183)?

I didn't realize they were so rare, $100 sound fair?

Just kidding, let me make sure it's all working without the keyed shaft and I will send you the whole motor and pinion gear for the cost of shipping. I know what a pain in the ass it is to hunt for a silly rare part.

Maybe this will help my karma finding a 73 fj40 fuse box cover.

There are a few well documented write-ups about 8274 right here on this forum. You should get all
you need for a complete rebuild. My experience, all winches need to be very well and proper grounds; just cause it looks grounded, meh - check them all.
As you know, pics always help.

I didn't realize they were so rare, $100 sound fair?

Just kidding, let me make sure it's all working without the keyed shaft and I will send you the whole motor and pinion gear for the cost of shipping. I know what a pain in the ass it is to hunt for a silly rare part.

Maybe this will help my karma finding a 73 fj40 fuse box cover.

that sounds great. just lemme know.

If I can still find my old one in my shop, you can have it for free. Would cost nothing to ship just the gear. Let me look and see when I get home next week.

If I can still find my old one in my shop, you can have it for free. Would cost nothing to ship just the gear. Let me look and see when I get home next week.

thats sounds good to. just lemme know if you find it.

So I was digging through my parts box and found the first cheap motor I bought and realized it is the exact same as the second used replacement. I did not realize you could so easily swap the pinion gear.

The older second hand motor I had looks way cleaner / way newer than my second replacement, so I decided to throw that one. it barely moved and started smoking all over the place heavy white smoke. Smelled terrible, the wince barely crawled. The casing got very hot, the wires all got very hot, even all the way up to the motor itself. I used a temporary ground wire to connect the electrics pack straight to the negative post on the battery.

So, that motor was not the way to go.

Back to my second second-hand replacement motor. Popped it on with a splined spindle, etc, wired it all, put the ground back on the engine screw...

works like a charm, very quick, no weird sounds, no extra heat, no smoke, no smells.

So I think my problem has been sorted, two bad motors and a new solenoid later and everything is working great.

that sounds great. just lemme know.

If you do want the whole motor and pinion gear just let me know, can ship it out next week.

Thanks all for the help.

If you do want the whole motor and pinion gear just let me know, can ship it out next week.

Thanks all for the help.

def. need a keyed (not splined) motor pinion gear like this:

msZ6CT4dlQ5H6kjJaDw3ceg.jpg
mWnpGx_sdme0caCeQ3eOWlA.jpg

how much to ship to the gear and motor to 39183?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom