Glow Plug Indicator Light Not Working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1981 HJ47 w/ 2H
It has always worked, but now when I turn the key backwards, I hear the relay but the little indicator coul never turns red.
I am pretty sure the plugs are working, though, because it starts right up every time I do it, but doesn't when I don't.

Is there a fuse or something to this?

The wiring diagram for my BJ40 shows the glow plug indicator light is operated by a different set of contacts within the glow plug relay. But upstream of that - they both (glow plugs and the indicator) get their power from the same source. (So a fuse can't be the problem if yours is wired like mine.) This points to the fault must be between the glow plug relay and the indicator itself.

Edit: I can't believe I said this back in 2007!

It's all nonsense when I read it now 8 years later! :oops:

Last edited:
this may seam overly simple , but what about the light ?

Are you sure it's a light? My 1981 BJ42 uses a wire coil behind a screen. It is in line with the glows, offers resistance...lights up in conjunction with the glow plugs.

Have someone use a multi-meter on the glowplug busbar to ensure they are getting current. If they are, look to the element being burnt out. The entire unit can be pulled from the dash, and I think you can then access to check the coil.

User error: I fried the coil when I was doing the frame off on the BJ42, and was able to order a new one from Toyota. That was in 1999/2000 though.

However...on my 1983 BJ60 the glow indicator is a light, and is on it's own circuit in the fuse panel. If yours is a light, check that fuse.

hth's

gb

Mine is the coil type. No biggie, as I know the plugs are working. It's just that I have gotten used to teh comforting, warm, orange glow in the morning.

Old thread revival, but instead of starting a new one...
I have the factory manual glow on my 81BJ60. When I turn the key to glow, the plugs work and sometimes the light comes on, sometimes it doesn't, more often the light has not been coming on though. Is there a contact in the ignition switch that may be almost worn out? Wondering if it would be solved by trying another ignition switch?

I would say to check your wire connections on the indicator as well as the buzz bar. I don't think there is anything wrong with the ignition switch since you are saying the plugs are working but you aren't seeing the light. Mine is the coil type so there is no light bulb. What can happen to these is they get a debris buildup on the coil itself like dust or dirt. When the voltage passes through the coil, that spot will get super hot and burn your coil up. Hope some of this helps.

Your '81 BJ60 has the "super glow" system with 2 glow relays for pre heat and after glow and an indicator light on the dash.
This indicator light is the most unpredictable indicator ever made by Toyota.
If your glow system works fine...... leave it as is.
If you want to learn a bit about glow systems and glow plugs: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/which-plugs-should-i-be-running-b-2b-3b-h-and-2h-diesels.471567/

That indicator light is activated/controlled by the glow timer and has no relation to the ignition switch other than that the ignition switch activates the glow timer.

Rudi

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies...yeah sometimes it comes on sometimes it doesn't...
Mine is factory manual glow, I have the 10.5 volt glow plugs...have a couple 84 BJ60s with the super glow...hmm I just did some reading at the link you sent, I am not aware of any preheat on mine, if I don't manually turn the key, nothing happens...always been like that ever since I have owned it.
Nevermind, upon further reading it says the preheat with the 10.5 is when you turn the key...
Maybe different terminologies...

Last edited:
Funny.... you say "Factory Manual Glow" but when I look up a '81 BJ60 in any market (General, Europe or North America and Canada) they all have super glow and not manual glow.
But................ after some research it turns out that you have a "fixed delay" system (which uses 10.5V plugs) and that one acts like a manual glow but has a timer and a Glow indicator light.
BJ60 glow circuit with timer.JPG

I would check the bulb and socket for bad contacts.

Rudi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom