Builds 82 first Gen Project (RECON) (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice score, lot's of potential. I ran a locrite for years in the rear in the PNW so lots of wet roads. I never expereinced the lock up and rear in spin I've heard many complain about. Well except in light snow and ice but I learn to lock front in to correct it. I'm a fan of front lockers so biased and lots cheaper to install when regearing than later down the road. My wife hated the rear locrite but she is not very uncomfortable with a manual. I put an ARB in the rear for this reason but she rarely ever drives it. In retrospect should've put money else where.

A nice upgrade for brakes is larger IFS V6 (has 4 large pistons) calipers and LC (wanna say 80) rotors but that means upgrading to later 1" bore MC and a dual diaghram brake booster. I'm not sure but the LC rear brake accuator (forget the name) is larger bore than the mini one. But don't know if that will work with the smaller drums of the earlier minis. These plus braided steel flex lines make for much better braking, especially with larger meat mounted. You could swap in an IFS rear axle wider 58" vrs 55" with larger rear drums. Wider so a bit more stable but wider is not better in tighter.

H4 upgrade for headlights is worth the money Hella got better reviews than some of the other big names; ARB/IPF, round eyes... But you'll want to use a battery direct harness with relays that is triggered by stock harness.

Might consider going to high steer and ditch the solid stablizer for the push pull for better articulation but will need an IFS box and frame mounts.

With larger tires might want to consider upgrading front birfeilds, I found an older pair of 27spline longfields, but several companies make upgrades. Trailgear owns longfield now. Trailgear can be hit or miss.

Love your cruiser!!!

Brakes;
You want an early 90s 4Runner/truck V6 booster, calipers and radiator. 86 to 89 4Runner or 86 to 95 truck rear axle that is wider and has larger drums. Put FJ-60 Landcruiser wheel cylinders on the backing plates. Front rotors you want will be off an 80s FJ-60 landcruiser as well. Run either a mid 90s FJ-80 LC or early 90s v6 runner or P/U master cylinder.

This is my currently setup. All bolt on. Caution... Smacking your face on your steering wheel can occur

Thank you guys for all the information.
The PO owner did the V6 brake swap.
All I need to do is upgrade to longer braided brake hoses. I Will do that when I install the lift once I am back home. I am going to go ahead and stay with the stock rear axle. For one, I already ordered the new gears, bearings, seals, and a lock right. I also don't think this truck warrants the upgrade to the wider axle. I am confident that the stock axle, once rebuilt and regeared will be more than capable to handle what this truck will be used for.

I plan to run tires no bigger than 33x10.5x15 on stockers or 285/75/16 on stock FJ80 rims. So I am hoping that I won't have any issues with breaking.

I plan to order the crossover steering and powersteering components from TrailGear in another phase of the build.

Realistically this truck will be used more as a daily driver, light trail truck.
A big key to this build is to enjoy the truck and not overbuild it, Just enhance and possibly make it a little funner to drive and possibly a tad more capable.

Del

Be aware of newer rims. The offset brings the rim in towards the vehicle which rubs on your caliper. You would have to run wheel spacers

Be aware of newer rims. The offset brings the rim in towards the vehicle which rubs on your caliper. You would have to run wheel spacers

NOTED

Thank you,

I have asked before but I will ask again. If i do change the stock rims (15") to 16" rims I plan to use original 80 series rims.
Will they fit or cause more problems?

The only reason I would change to 16" rims is so I have the same rim size and bolt pattern as my LX450 and a future offroad trailer.

I am not opposed to aftermarket rims though.

Del, i think you will have to run a spacer to use the FJZ alloys. IIRC, the 80 wheels were 4.5"BS and the early solid axle mini wheels were 3.25 or 3.5" BS.

Not 100% sure though

Last edited:
I also think you will have to run spacers with those rims, even at 16". I have 16" 2000-era 4Runner rims, and they clear the TRE and calipers no problem, but the tires rubbed on the springs (badly) at full lock turning. I suppose you could adjust the steering stops so that doesn't happen, but that will ruin your turning radius, it will be like piloting a cruise ship. I have 1-1/4" TG spacers, solved my problems.

Spacers are fine. Some people give them a bad rap but I like them and have never had an issue. Keep em tight!

I don't see a problem with spacers. So we will see.

Just keep them tight and understand the slight extra stress it might add to the wheel bearings. Keep an eye on both and you will be fine. Then again if it is just putting the tire back where it should be located that might be very minimal on the bearings.

I'm bored so
Debating on color of rims

Should I leave them white?

Black?
Or
Gray?

Allow me to be bored with you.

I am looking at replacing the alloys on my white 1st Gen 4Runner with the Tundra 18-hole steelies.

They come in black and I am thinking about keeping them that way initially. The black steelie looked great on my tan troopie, I would imagine a black wheel would look good on a white truck.

Plus, black will hide the rust stains when the wheels start to age;)

Looks good on a white 80:grinpimp:
1429505607701.jpg

I agree. White trucks look nice with black rims.
I might just do a quick black spray paint on the rims. If I don't like it I can easily change the color back to white or try out the landcruiser gray color.

Old lady says I got the package.

Thanks KLF

Call it my contribution to the project. Let me know if there's anything else you are looking for, I might have it. Trying to clean out the horde.

Well I will be headed back to the states in the next few days. Hopefully the parts from Cruiseroutfitters will be arriving in the next week.

Can't wait to get this project back on track.
The short term plan is to lift it with the new OME lift
Put some new 33 inch tires on the stock rims
And rebuild both axles.
Do some preventive maintenance and baseline the truck.
Fix the clutch issue and daily drive the hell out of it.

I want to have the 82 mostly finished by Sept and debut it at Logan's Run 2015 at URE. Exactly a year after I bought it.
It will be lots of work to get it ready so we will see.

Some progress. OME lift almost done. More pics later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom