75 series spring swap on my 55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The kit works exactly as advertised and the guys at Cruiser Outfitters are great to work with.

You’ll also need caster shims but other than that, just order the kit Kurt put together and bolt it on.

I’ll dig up more photos or help with any specific questions you have.

Side view,

Bolt it on? You didn't have to re-locate your rear hangers? Your truck looks a lot taller than a lot of Pigs I have seen that SUPPOSEDLY have a 2.5" lift kit installed.

Bolt it on? You didn't have to re-locate your rear hangers? Your truck looks a lot taller than a lot of Pigs I have seen that SUPPOSEDLY have a 2.5" lift kit installed.

Yes bolt on, you do need to relocate the rear hangers and IMHO you don’t need to weld them, bolts will work fine. If you can weld or have a buddy that can weld a couple of small tack welds on the hangers after you relocate is a good insurance but not mandatory.

That picture is the lift as delivered from Cruiser Outfitters with 33”-12.5” tires.

The kit works exactly as advertised and the guys at Cruiser Outfitters are great to work with.

You’ll also need caster shims but other than that, just order the kit Kurt put together and bolt it on.

Side view,

Rear shackles look almost vertical, eh?

Rear shackles look almost vertical, eh?

The springs are new when this photo was taken, they have sagged a bit and the rear shackle angle looks better now. The front sagged too much but no fault of the springs, I added a heavy engine, winch and a bunch of other crap on top of a spring that was already a little light.

This kit lifts the rear a little higher than the front giving it the stink bug look when using the light front springs, if I had it do it again I would have ordered the heavy front springs but I don’t care for the stink bug look.

Side view,

That looks killer! Thanks again :cool:

Looking to pull the trigger on this kit in the next couple of weeks.
J Mack, in the picture with the red 55 it looks like the rear axle sits forward in the wheel well. I think that I have read about this previously with this kit. Wondering if this is the case or does it move back a little after break in?
Recommends on heavy/light springs for stock motor, no extra weight in front or back planned.
Prefer a level ride, do not want stink bug.
Kurt. any input on this? Anyone from your shop happen to be coming to San Diego soon? :)

Thanks,
-Mike

At static height it is forward of centered however that absolutely plays in it's favor. The springs have a fair bit of arc and during up travel the axle moves backwards. We test flexed our initial install with 33's and they just about kissed the rear fender just as they touched the upper wheel well, perfect!

Sorry, nobody headed to SD anytime soon. You could meet us at Cruise Moab :D

Looking to pull the trigger on this kit in the next couple of weeks.
J Mack, in the picture with the red 55 it looks like the rear axle sits forward in the wheel well. I think that I have read about this previously with this kit. Wondering if this is the case or does it move back a little after break in?
Recommends on heavy/light springs for stock motor, no extra weight in front or back planned.
Prefer a level ride, do not want stink bug.

At static height it is forward of centered however that absolutely plays in it's favor. The springs have a fair bit of arc and during up travel the axle moves backwards. We test flexed our initial install with 33's and they just about kissed the rear b

Like Kurt said the tire sits a bit forward but at full compression it moves back to about as close to perfect as you could ask.

Look down about the center of page 30 and this is a picture of the springs compressed with 35X12.5” tires. Target carrier

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/target-carrier.796065/page-30

J Mack and Kurt,

Thanks for the info. Driving to SLC in a couple of weeks and wanted to pick up the kit but looks like I''ll be flying back. Trying to avoid shipping costs.
Plan to make Moab next year.

J Mack and Kurt,

Thanks for the info. Driving to SLC in a couple of weeks and wanted to pick up the kit but looks like I''ll be flying back. Trying to avoid shipping costs.
Plan to make Moab next year.

Yeah, that might be tough with the massive leaf springs. Let us know when you're ready, we'd love to help you out!

How are ya'll getting the rivets out? I had to deal with getting the rivets out on my 60 to replace the extra C channel that is in the frame at the rear, and I've never worked so hard in my life. I got them, but man they didn't want to come out. Esp. with the vertical rivets. I would guess this would be the hardest part of the job.

How are ya'll getting the rivets out? I had to deal with getting the rivets out on my 60 to replace the extra C channel that is in the frame at the rear, and I've never worked so hard in my life. I got them, but man they didn't want to come out. Esp. with the vertical rivets. I would guess this would be the hardest part of the job.
I used an air hammer and chisel to knock the heads off and a small punch to knock the rivet out took 5 minutes to remove both rear hangers

Lift from Cruiser Outfitters installed OME lift installed. We took two leafs out of each rear pack to help level the truck out. I wouldn't mind taking one out of each front lack too, but when j add a bumper and Warn 8274 winch, it may help the buoyant front.
Only issues are a good bit of vibration and a completely sloppy sloppy steering. The installer couldn't break loose the old steering stabilizer. He said he felt like he was going to snap something and he even heated the bolts.

well I tried everything...air chisel, air punch, grinders, cut off wheels, cursing. Eventually I was able to grind the head off, drill through them and used a hammer and punch. I need a better method.
Buy a better air hammer and the heads pop right off...

Lift from Cruiser Outfitters installed OME lift installed.
Only issues are a good bit of vibration and a completely sloppy sloppy steering.

Did you install caster shims? you'll need at least 3 degree with the longer front shackles and could use more if you have power steering.

Did you install caster shims? you'll need at least 3 degree with the longer front shackles and could use more if you have power steering.
I bought the complete kit from Cruiser Outfitters. Unfortunately, it's not a complete kit since it doesn't come with shims and now I have to go out and fin shims and break the lift down AGAIN to install shims. I also used the shackles provide in the kit. I was pretty frustrated when I picked it up ad learned that.

I bought the complete kit from Cruiser Outfitters. Unfortunately, it's not a complete kit since it doesn't come with shims and now I have to go out and fin shims and break the lift down AGAIN to install shims. I also used the shackles provide in the kit. I was pretty frustrated when I picked it up ad learned that.

You asked about the kit in post 78 and I told you that you would need shims in post 79, I wouldn’t be too hard on Kurt and the boys, just call him up and order the shims and drive on!

Some people do a cut and turn and wouldn’t need the shims so the kit would be complete for those customers, also there is a lot of common knowledge amongst long time Toyota owners and first time owners like myself sometimes don’t ask the right questions and in my case I installed the kit and chased my tail for two months trying to solve what I thought was bump steer, after several calls to Kurt he helped walk me through my options and cut me a great deal on a set of caster shims.

You asked about the kit in post 78 and I told you that you would need shims in post 79, I wouldn’t be too hard on Kurt and the boys, just call him up and order the shims and drive on!

Some people do a cut and turn and wouldn’t need the shims so the kit would be complete for those customers, also there is a lot of common knowledge amongst long time Toyota owners and first time owners like myself sometimes don’t ask the right questions and in my case I installed the kit and chased my tail for two months trying to solve what I thought was bump steer, after several calls to Kurt he helped walk me through my options and cut me a great deal on a set of caster shims.
Oh I am not trying to give Kurt and the boys crap. They were more then helpful when ordering. Plus, they weren't listed on their site as the shims being apart of the kit. I have been through all of this before with my 40, but that was several years ago and I simply forgot about all of the nuances that go with spring lifts. I moved on to 100 series and 200 series and I dint have to go through all of this. It's my fault honestly and I do not remember you telling me about the shims.
Once I started driving it, it all came back to me. I was frustrated at myself and at the installer. He had my truck for a week and I was missing her.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear your dealing with a post install vibe. Give us a ring at the shop and I'd be happy to offer you a free set of shims. Install should take under 30 minutes and only requires loosening the 4 u-bolts. If you install them and give us favorable results on your vibe, I'll happily make them a standard offering in all of our 55 kits for the future. To date not all 55 kit installs have needed them, perhaps 1 in 3. I suspect more could have benefited from them? Ring us and we'll get you a set sent out, please follow-up and let us know if that fixed the problem. Easy add on to the kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom