Suspension opinions wanted for mild lift on 2004 GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

as it is, I am considering talking to metaltech in oregon or Das Mule in Issaquah for doing the work. Still not sure what components to go with. my uses will be mostly on road with some dirt roads and occasional deeply rutted or rocky fishing access roads. I want it to be ok on the highway but still soft enough (or adjustable) to still handle trails or washboarded dirt roads as well as the airbags do. I know it may not be realistic.
still open to input, suggestions, opinions and warnings )
thanks for the help

Look at Land Cruiser NW in Portland OR. They exclusively work in Toyotas and specialize in Land Cruisers. Great guys and top notch shop.

as it is, I am considering talking to metaltech in oregon or Das Mule in Issaquah for doing the work. Still not sure what components to go with. my uses will be mostly on road with some dirt roads and occasional deeply rutted or rocky fishing access roads. I want it to be ok on the highway but still soft enough (or adjustable) to still handle trails or washboarded dirt roads as well as the airbags do. I know it may not be realistic.
still open to input, suggestions, opinions and warnings )
thanks for the help

TofFab is located just north of Seattle who can easily do the suspension install for you if you didn't want to drive down to Metal Tech.

toffab...? don't see them, what is their website?

I am 90% set on getting the OME due to price point and good recommendations, but I'm still over analyzing because I want to buy right the first time. I see that there are some other options out there for a little more, but is there that big of a difference between the OME and the other kits priced a bit more?

Is there any way to describe the differences in the OME and/or other kits... Maybe what you felt on road and on some trails? sure appreciate the advice on this thanks everyone.

OMEs have decent ride comfort, and are good for most offroading, you should be fine

Thanks for all the input so far, my "short list" right now are these three...
Old Man EMU kit (plus the metal tech coil conversion kit)
Icon Stage 1 kit (no UCAs) plus the metal tech coil conversion kit
Radflo Stage 1 kit (No UCAs) plus the conv kit

the second two are much more money, but I am considering these because I hear so much about the ride comfort and performance. It might be worth the extra $900 to not have buyers remorse.

How much and what kind of offroading are you looking into doing? If minimal like dirt trails, fire roads, overlanding, the OME is fine. At higher speed, full suspension travel stuff the Icon or Radflos will be better suited for it.

I do want a firm yet comfortable on road ride that doesn't rattle my fillings out when hitting expansion joints, potholes or speed bumps , but for the 5% i'm off-road I would say I mostly drive on dirt roads, fire roads, and occasional rutted or rocky fishing or shooting access "trails". But I'm pretty sure I would probably try some "rougher" roads or go on some group trail outings once I put in the new suspension.

Let me know what you go with in rear, I used 5100 in front on second setting, (1" lift) want stock height in rear and not sure which 4runner coils to use

ok...suspension officially ordered. Radflo 2.5" coilovers in front and radflo in rear, plus the metal tech coil conversion for the rear airbags. I also ordered the light racing UCAs with the kit. From what I can tell these are less money but still offer the advaantages of UCAs. I'm still wondering if i should upgrade to a better UCA.
I will start a new thread for the install of suspension, sliders, cb so I can show some pictures as we go... so more to come

I have never had any issues with the LR UCAs. People just beat on them and jump their rigs and they fail, or they can install them and over torque the bolt and cause them to bind. If your not planning on racing or jumping your rig you will be fine

Colorado 4wd Trail Build

I would do mine again in a heartbeat. Don't use the lift in the struts. Use springs instead. Leave the running boards on as otherwise 2 inches of lift is more then the ladies like.
Or replace the running boards with rock sliders. ;)

I had my sliders made to be wise enough to step on them. Glad I did!!

My 80 is over 2 feet to the slider lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom