Critique my compressor / blaster choice before I waste my $$$ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm grown impatient with waiting for a good/great CL deal and every time something pops that looks interesting, I also see an issue. I want to spend my time wrenching on my trucks, not tools. I also don't want to buy these again.

I'm looking to run air for impact tools, the sand blaster, and possibly some painting down the line. I have a 40 that is a driving renovation and I'm about to bite off more than I can chew on a 45 frame off.

3 car garage, but low on space when 3 cars are parked in it, so I wanted an upright compressor.

My planned purchases:

Compressor:
Campbell Hausfeld 5-HP 80-Gallon 4-Cylinder Dual-Voltage Single-Stage Air Compressor
http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/Campbell-Hausfeld-TQ3104-Air-Compressor/p7630.html

Blaster:
SKAT 780-TL Top-Load Abrasive Blast Cabinet
http://www.tptools.com/780-TL-Top-Load-Abrasive-Blast-Cabinet,432.html?b=d*8014

Your combination will work but your compressor will run for long periods producing a lot of heat that will condense resulting in moisture. Moisture will plague your blasting experience as well as painting. Even a duel stage compressor will produce heat but run less. A pre cooler coupled with water separator will help but you will need to dry the air as much as possible for both operations to be problem free. One tip I can offer is to never run air lines hoses on the cooler concrete floor. You might consider running a air system in your shop complete with drip legs. You will also need to drain your compressor frequently for both operations. HF sells a decent refrigeration dryer that works pretty well.
Buy once....Cry once is my motto!

Thanks. I planned on some type of shop piping system and assumed I was going to have to dry the air. You've given me some ideas to research. Thanks again.

We've got a TP Tools (Skat) Cabinet. A bigger one than you're looking at though.

LOVE IT. It's been very heavily used, and it's still amazing. The gloves and the window need relatively regular replacement (especially the covers on the window). The carbide nozzles last much longer than the standard.

What he said about the compressor piping. Our compressor is a big smaller than that, and we wish we had a bigger one. It's a lot less fun to have to let the compressor recharge while you're blasting.

Related, but the Skat-Magic abrasive media works very, very well. We've used standard glass beads and things, but I've definitely preferred the Skat-Magic composite abrasive.

Dan

Frankly , I'd find a good solid used or new 2 stage compressor . No single stage will keep up very well and they run hotter to boot , not to mention rarely last as long . Great choice on the cabinet , Skat is one of my favorite companies .
Sarge

Sarge - so is this just marketing B/S (from Compressor's Direct Expert Review):

This Campbell unit has a 4-piston pump so it provides the air flow of a two-stage on a single stage budget. You can drive large air tools, or support multiple users for repair or fabrication work.

Our Best choice compressor runs on 208/230 volt single phase power, so it's easy to work into your shop setup.

The 840 RPM running speed is easy on the ears; and the 3 year factory warranty on consumer use inspires confidence.

Other companies have tried this approach of multiple single-stage cylinders before - with all the same results . As soon as one wears , the volume goes away along with the pressure . An old fashioned 2-stage cast iron pump in either low or high rpm will last a good 25yrs if you actually change the oil and keep a clean air filter on it . My old early 80's Speed Air runs at 150psi main line pressure to feed a pressure pot blaster outside when needed with large volume air lines , 23cfm model keeps up easily despite getting quite hot . Pump time has remained consistent in the 10yrs I've had it now , no change . There are very few new models I'd buy , they just will not last like an old one that had any sort of care in it's life .
Old Champions were built in my hometown of Princeton , Illinois and are highly sought - but also high-priced . Usually , $300 and a bit of necessary clean up/work will give you a unit that will run for a very long time .

Sarge

I'm not finding anything 2 stage near that price. Guess I need to keep looking. New is big $$$. Yikes. But looks like you guys saved me from buying the wrong compressor so a big thanks for that.

Does this sound like a good deal? 1947 IR T30 2 stage 60 gal. Guys says it runs fine and needs nothing. Wants $250 which sounds great to me.
image.jpg

Looks like a good deal if there are no issues. I suspect that no Chinese knock off would compare to the quality of something built in that era.

CFM on that unit?

Not sure. I decided to pass on it b/c I don't have the room for a horizontal tank. The search continues.....

Not sure. I decided to pass on it b/c I don't have the room for a horizontal tank. The search continues.....

Good move! Keep looking, your patience will pay off in the long run. FWIW, I have been running Eaton compressors for over a decade with no issues. I have recommended these compressors to other friends and they too have had positive feedback.

Some years back I bought an Ingersoll Rand 5hp 220V 60 gallon 2 stage compressor from Sears. It was a huge financial hit for me. It just barely makes enough air to run my blasting cabinet that I upgraded with parts from TP Tools/Skat Blasters. I have discovered a non-running compressor of the same size and I am going to plumb that unit's tank into my system to get a greater air reserve.
I have a very lucky friend who stumbled onto a monstrous industrial compressor at an estate sale. He had to rent a truck to move it. He built a small shed to house it. He has never been sorry about having a compressor that is too big.

Links to my stuff are below:
http://www.sears.com/ingersoll-rand-60-gallon-air-compressor-vertical-tank/p-00918298000P

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-919045/overview/

Some years back I bought an Ingersoll Rand 5hp 220V 60 gallon 2 stage compressor from Sears. It was a huge financial hit for me. It just barely makes enough air to run my blasting cabinet that I upgraded with parts from TP Tools/Skat Blasters. I have discovered a non-running compressor of the same size and I am going to plumb that unit's tank into my system to get a greater air reserve.
I have a very lucky friend who stumbled onto a monstrous industrial compressor at an estate sale. He had to rent a truck to move it. He built a small shed to house it. He has never been sorry about having a compressor that is too big.

Links to my stuff are below:
http://www.sears.com/ingersoll-rand-60-gallon-air-compressor-vertical-tank/p-00918298000P

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-919045/overview/

I've had the exact same compressor? for over ten years now, and never had an issue with it supply enough air for sand blasting. I had a lot of issues with blockages in my sand blaster, but never an issue with enough air supply.

Check out my thread.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/best-nozzle-pressure-settings-for-10-gal-pressure-blaster.851962/

Is this what you have?

image.jpg

OK. I'm been patiently waiting for the right one to come across CL and I think I found it. What do you guys think?

It's a LeRoi Wayne Series 440A - 80 gal vertical tank. Tank has a 1988 build date. I don't know yet if it's the 5HP or 7.5HP motor, but I think either one will actually work for me (of course I hope it's 7.5HP) It needs a new electrical plug and has been sitting for a few years in a garage. It ran in a small auto shop before that so it's been put through it paces probably. Price is $300 which sounds right to me. I looked up rebuild kits and they run about $400 (not sure if it really needs it).

00w0w_lTUb3Vkg8rM_600x450.jpg

The junk motor on my Ingersoll Rand compressor gave out a few weeks back. I replaced it with a Baldor motor from eBay.
If it is a USA motor, that's good.

Well bad news, the motor is 208-240v 3ph. I was excited too because it 7.5 HP. What are my options here? My limited research says A rotary converter is too expensive and I don't think you can use a static converter on a compressor. Just have the garage wired for 3ph? Guess I can get a 1ph motor but that is probably $$$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom