1967 M416 project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

People like to put mud terrain tires on these for the look, but keep in mind that you really want some tread touching blacktop. These trailers weigh next to nothing even when loaded, compared to a truck. You're going to run the tires at a lower pressure than you would normally and they should be adjusted depending on load, just like everything else.

I went the MT route with a set of Super Swamper SXII. They are bias ply, but are E rated with a tougher sidewall. My concern was with dragging the trailer over rocky trails and the potential for sidewall cuts. Compared to the stock tires these are not in my view that much more aggressive. 33 x 9.5 17" Taco / FJC rims. Just over $450 for both, mounted and balanced. Will be swapping out this weekend.

full

full

Last edited:
NOT looking to replace the axle, as stated above. Thanks for the pics though.

You are missing the point. The Kelly Safari tires that Mark found fit the 16" factory rims for the M416. No swapping of axles or even rims, just buy new tires, that's it.

You are missing the point. The Kelly Safari tires that Mark found fit the 16" factory rims for the M416. No swapping of axles or even rims, just buy new tires, that's it.

I THINK he was looking at the pics with the Swampers....

Yes, and I edited my post to call out CycloSteve specifically. And yes @woytovich I see that those Kelly Safaris fit the military wheels quite well. Do you recall what size they were specifically? I went to the link you posted above and it doesn't look like they still carry the Safari MSRs any longer. Replaced it with another acronym I don't recall.

Good to know, I've lost track of how many wheels I have for my M416. Hate to get rid of my military NDT but really most my use a highway type radial would be a better tire since almost all miles are highway. Other than possible hydroplaning on water does thread really make any difference at all? Not worried about loss of traction or braking since the trailer is just along for the ride.

Steve: Will you be running your trailer out on hard trails or mostly on the road?

Mixture, as I have to get to the trails in the Sierras, where I usually wheel on some pretty rocky granite. Tend to tear up tires, and the trailer will eventually have a top and RTT as added weight.

@CycloSteve, NOT looking to replace the axle, as stated above. Thanks for the pics though.

No need to swap axle, just the hub to Toyota pattern, as was done by the PO when they did the SOA.

Last edited:
Just got around to mounting these and here's how they look. Goodyear Wrangler HT 215/85R16 Load Range E 2ply polyester, 2ply steel, 1ply nylon Max PSI 80lbs (I'm running 30psi)
M416_SJC3 (64).JPG

Sits about like it did before, which is just about level, maybe a hint of nose down.
M416_SJC3 (69).JPG

I like the fact that my kickstand has about a half inch of clearance when I'm hooked up. Makes deploying it much easier.
M416_SJC3 (71).JPG

M416_SJC3 (74).JPG

I only see this thing when I turn. Its hard to tell its even back there.
M416_SJC3 (77).JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom