GX470 Suspension suggestions and overall height question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dan,

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking it might settle. I'll give it some time and a work out and look at it again before I put new tires on.

Did you use the trim pack in the front to adjust the front height at all?

GX470 Ironman Lifted 3.jpg

nice, those wheels look right at home on your GX

No trim pack, but I have a lot of extra weight :)

nice, those wheels look right at home on your GX

Thanks. Need to find some center caps with the Lexus "L" logo. Someone had some available a long time ago but haven't been able to find them again.

I plan to use my stock wheels for off road. Trying to find out if I can put 275/70/17 tires on them and not rub. Or if I need a spacer...

275s will be fine. 285s rub on the inner frame (Back) and sway bar (front). I just run them rubbing anyway :)

Looks good. Which ironman setup did you go with? Their "original" lift or the new foam cell pro with adjustable coil overs?

I got a somewhat mixed setup. I wanted the "regular" foam cell shocks in comfort (FEC), but Metaltech did not have them in stock for the rear. So the front is the regular white FEC shock and suffix B firmer spring. The rear is FEC Pro (black) shocks and the suffix B firmer spring. The pros in the rear are beasts!! As you probably know the Foam Pro shock is rebuildable.

The ride is good. It's a little different in that it can seem a little "jouncy" over some bumps versus the stock suspension, but when you hit heavier/harder bumps or holes, it soaks them up much better than the stock airbag suspension did.

Guys,

After a couple of weeks with the new suspension, I've noticed that the right rear is about 1" higher than the left rear. This was measured from the tire to the wheel arch opening going through the wheel centerline. Does anyone have any ideas on this? About to call MetalTech to see what they have to say. There has been some settling of the suspension, but I doubt there is going to be any more to the extent that 1" will be settled!

Thanks for any feedback or suggestions.

Bob

hmmm, are you certain that you installed the metaltech convesrion pieces with the spring seat facing outward toward the wheel? I think thats what the instructions say. I guess its possible that if the spring seat is different from side to side it could result in a difference in height.

hmmm, are you certain that you installed the metaltech convesrion pieces with the spring seat facing outward toward the wheel? I think thats what the instructions say. I guess its possible that if the spring seat is different from side to side it could result in a difference in height.

Dan,

I did not do the install myself - had a shop I have used for years for other work do it. But it was the first conversion of this type they have done so it may be possible that pieces are not on correctly. I'm going to crawl under this afternoon and check.

Just spoke with MetalTech. Apparently it's known as the "Landcruiser Lean", due to the weight of the fuel tank on the driver's side. There is a trim pack for it that someone has that they are tracking down.

Just spoke with MetalTech. Apparently it's known as the "Landcruiser Lean", due to the weight of the fuel tank on the driver's side. There is a trim pack for it that someone has that they are tracking down.

It's been a few days since I read this thread but did you use OME springs? I ask because I remember them coming with a labeled "A" spring and "B" spring. One is for the driver side specifically and the other is for the passenger side. On an 80 series you would do the opposite of what the instructions say due to the Aussie landcruiser being right hand drive. This may be true for the gx 470 if the lift is a relabeled Prado lift. Really you just want to put the spring that's slightly taller on the driver side.

Most likely not, it will rub on the inside, not the outside. My steps didnt make it a month, so not sure lol

Yes, it just so happened that my rear air bag trick was EXACTLY the same height setting as the Radflo 2" lift. Otherwise you'll just need to play with the sensors until the air bags have minimal pressure at the N setting. Obviously you'll lose your ability to go lower but, ride leveling and even making it taller by going to H still work great.
Do you recall what the part number for the airbags were? I'm planning on doing this as my air suspension failed for the second time this weekend. It was replaced right when we bought it last October by the dealer but the repair only carried a 6 month warranty...

They used arnott bags and it came off the spring perch on a dirt road while I was pulling a trailer with a two dirt bikes and all of a sudden I heard a loud hissing sound (thought it was a tire) The bag pulled off the plastic part that sits on the perch somehow as well but not sure what happened first or if it was concurrently as it happened out of nowhere.

Also would this work if I used fj cruiser springs?

uploadfromtaptalk1434377968391.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1434378015936.jpg

Looks good! What's the overall height if your rig now? Have the same concern as you originally did, need to make sure I can still fit in parking structures.

Ride height is about 2-2.5" higher. I still fit into a 7' tall garage opening. With about 3-4 inches clearance, if that!!

One more thing! At first I thought they sent me the wrong airbag kit, because the bags were woefully shy of the length of the full springs. It was the right kit though, so to remedy that problem I didnt cut the isolators down as much as AIrlift recommended. I cut the last two sections off of the isolators which left me with about a 2.5"-3" circumference of area that would be acting as the top "bump" stop for the airbags. I was concerned it would put too much pressure on that small area, but have been pleasantly surprised. Those bags are tough and did just fine. I've already towed a couple thousand pound around town with no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom