mechanical water temp gauge? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jblueridge

SILVER Star
Threads
Anyone running a mechanical water temp gauge?
I was looking at the Smiths 52 mm dual gauge, oil pressure and water temp.

http://www.nisonger.com/smiths-classic-gauges.htm
mech-combo.gif

They look great. How much?

Here is what I was told by Peter at Nisonger.com. Both the water temp and Oil pressure are mechanical.
I am not sure about the difficulties of routing... probably have to be less bendy than electrical wiring.

A new Classic Smiths Combo Gauge is $149.95 plus shipping.

I may have to install something like this in the upper rad line if I don't want to bugger up the original temp sender's port.
716674_WEB1.jpg

I just went through this a couple weeks ago. Well, my friend Rob just went through this a couple weeks ago, i just cleaned up after him and handed him tools!

We picked up a 3 in one gauge from Glow Shift for boost, water temp and EGT's. Also had them send an additional temp probe that I am going to install for tranny temp. We also picked up an on-on switch to go between water and tranny temperature probes.

For the water gauge we installed it beside the rad cap. Maybe not ideal, but still better than the factory one. EGT's are post turbo but that was the easiest place to access, and close enough for me.

P1060303.JPG P1060304.JPG P1060306.JPG P1060307.JPG P1060308.JPG

I still need to install the probe for the tranny temp, but that will be another day. So far they are working great, no issues so far.

Phil

Looks good Phil! Did you drill and tap a hole in the thermostat housing or was something more needed for the water temp probe?

I'm going to gut the indoor/outdoor temp + altimeter pod and put a black garolite faceplate in there for new gauges.
I'll take some pics as this progresses. If it progresses.

I used to have a mechanical temp gauge on my ´86 bj70.
Lasted for almost 2 years. Since the 3b shakes a lot, eventualy the cappilar tube breaks...
On the 3b thera are 2 extra ports beside where the original sensor is.
It´s bt far the best place to put it, since if you put it in other place, there are certain cases in which you might have a failuer and you might not get ir - for example a faulty thermostat-

Not so hard rooting it, but be sure the length of the capilar is long enough (there are some gauges with vert short capilar, cant´ recall how much you need).
Now i run a digital meter with preset alarms. I love it!!!!!!

img1176h.jpg

Wow Pablo, that looks great!

The temp sensor's fitting is really big. It is also US pipe threads.

Do you recall where the other places to get the sensor into the engine are?

Wow Pablo, that looks great!

The temp sensor's fitting is really big. It is also US pipe threads.

Do you recall where the other places to get the sensor into the engine are?

You can either drill the plug that its already there and have the correct threat on inside that plug made by a mechanic shop (you are transforming the plug to an adaptor), or you can get an adaptor from a shop which sells gas fittings (you can get a brass fitting which is excelent for water pipping) . Both solution works great.

Mine is not mechanical, but rather another aftermarket electric unit. I went with an additional ISSPRO gauge to monitor coolant temperatures with a sending unit mounted in the Thermostat housing.

I used Wayne's @crushers gauge plate to mount all the gauges under the stereo

468.JPG

The 3B had a plug I used under the factory sending units on the Thermostat housing. Not sure if the 13BT has the same provisions or not

194.jpg

Keep us posted on what you decide to go with :)

-Alberto

Biggest problem is the 3/8" NPT sensor fitting for water temp is VERY BIG. Because of the capillary tube, gauge tubing and sensor come pre-fitted. I want to place the gauge into the dashtop pod. Routing will be a big problem. I may return he combo gauge and get the mechanical oil pressure gauge alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom